Macintosh version

Discussion about the project in general, organization, website, or any other details that aren't directly about the game.
haravikk
Space Kraken

Macintosh version

#1 Post by haravikk »

Are there any plan for a Macintosh version of the game? I'm sure if you are coding in Java or C++ that there would be a number of Mac programmers willing to help if you look about (unfortunately I'm not one of them).

I really enjoy MOO3 on my Mac but outstanding issues and some gameplay quircks keep me away from getting as into the game as I would get with MOO2 which I think is really a shame :(

This project does look really promising though, the best of luck to you with it if you get a Mac port or not!

vorenhutz
Pupating Mass

#2 Post by vorenhutz »

Well since it runs on linux I imagine it wouldn't be too much trouble to get it to work on MacOS X. I don't know if anyone's tried yet though.

Tyreth
FreeOrion Lead Emeritus

#3 Post by Tyreth »

There will be a Mac version once someone offers to port it. With out current team though there are no plans.

tzlaine
Programming Lead Emeritus

#4 Post by tzlaine »

Some guy aproached me a few months ago about wanting to port GG and FreeOrion to MacOS X, but I never heard anything back from him after the initial email. He may or may not still be working on it, but probably not.

Zanzibar
Psionic Snowflake

#5 Post by Zanzibar »

Of course, since the game is open source... you could, in theory compile it for Mac yourself with the proper compiler... ;)

Daveybaby
Small Juggernaut

#6 Post by Daveybaby »

Havent you heard? - its not going to be open source any more. And i doubt very much that microsoft would want to publish for the Mac.
The COW Project : You have a spy in your midst.

Zanzibar
Psionic Snowflake

#7 Post by Zanzibar »

Daveybaby wrote:Havent you heard? - its not going to be open source any more. And i doubt very much that microsoft would want to publish for the Mac.
Don't you know an April fools joke when you see one??

Daveybaby
Small Juggernaut

#8 Post by Daveybaby »

Havent you heard of a reference to an april fools joke before? :roll:

I got fooled by one Moo-related april fools joke this year, and one was enough :P
The COW Project : You have a spy in your midst.

Rockstone
Space Squid

#9 Post by Rockstone »

vorenhutz wrote:Well since it runs on linux I imagine it wouldn't be too much trouble to get it to work on MacOS X. I don't know if anyone's tried yet though.
what about microsoft windows?
Master of orion 3 rules. (a pause) Why are you guys getting tomatoes out?

Tyreth
FreeOrion Lead Emeritus

#10 Post by Tyreth »

It already works for both Windows and Linux. You can download the 0.1 windows version from here: http://sourceforge.net/project/showfile ... p_id=75752

LithiumMongoose
Audio Lead Emeritus

#11 Post by LithiumMongoose »

Most of my actual programming experience is on OS X, not Windows or Linux, and since Mac is by far my favorite platform I'd be more than happy to help work on an OS X port... But I don't particularly relish the thought of doing the entire thing solo heh, and would rather wait til closer to release anyway to reduce the amount of work required.

Rockstone
Space Squid

#12 Post by Rockstone »

Tyreth wrote:It already works for both Windows and Linux. You can download the 0.1 windows version from here: http://sourceforge.net/project/showfile ... p_id=75752
it wouldnt be a game without microstoft.
Master of orion 3 rules. (a pause) Why are you guys getting tomatoes out?

Pink
Space Krill

#13 Post by Pink »

Being written in C++, it shouldn't be too hard (the mind-numbing process of porting aside) to rewrite as a Java applet of sorts.