Density of Planets: from the v0.2 requirements document

Discussion about the project in general, organization, website, or any other details that aren't directly about the game.
Zanzibar
Psionic Snowflake

Density of Planets: from the v0.2 requirements document

#1 Post by Zanzibar »

"Low (3 planets per system), Average (5 planets per system), High (7 planets per system). The density is an average, the number of planet slots always remains 10."

Shouldn't there also be a random option?? random is good ;)

Aquitaine
Lead Designer Emeritus

#2 Post by Aquitaine »

This is a good suggestion. Seems like an oversight on our part. I'll add it to the list for v0.3 and see if we can tack it on to v0.2 once development on that starts.
Surprise and Terror! I am greeted by the smooth and hostile face of our old enemy, the Hootmans! No... the Huge-glands, no, I remember, the Hunams!

Zanzibar
Psionic Snowflake

#3 Post by Zanzibar »

Also a few other things on galaxy generation might also be able to be randomized... would make life interesting ;)

Krikkitone
Creative Contributor

#4 Post by Krikkitone »

Actually just about Everything that is customizable about a game setup should be randomizable: number of computer players, your race, perhaps your race could be randomly customized, tech speed, galaxy size, etc.

Things I think should not be randomized but should be customized: Win conditions, anything that would be changed by the user in game (ie options), difficulty level (although if difficulty level is broken down into various components..ie AI cheating, Starting bonus, AI difficulty, then I'd say let the overall difficulty level be customized + the sub levels randomizable.) other than that...

Daveybaby
Small Juggernaut

#5 Post by Daveybaby »

It might be nice (although maybe this is getting a bit too pernickety) to also have an option to control planet distribution.

i.e. if you have an average of 5 planets per system, you could distribute them fairly evenly (so most systems have 4-6 planets) or more unevenly, so that you get some super-systems with 8-10 planets, while most only have 0-2. This can make for quite significant gameplay variation.

Aquitaine
Lead Designer Emeritus

#6 Post by Aquitaine »

Sounds like mod material. Not sure we'd want to cram something like that into the UI, but I doubt it'd be too hard to accomplish with the source.
Surprise and Terror! I am greeted by the smooth and hostile face of our old enemy, the Hootmans! No... the Huge-glands, no, I remember, the Hunams!

emrys
Creative Contributor

#7 Post by emrys »

Aquitaine wrote:Sounds like mod material. Not sure we'd want to cram something like that into the UI, but I doubt it'd be too hard to accomplish with the source.
Presumably this is equivalent to "put it on the v1.1 development list..."

Daveybaby
Small Juggernaut

#8 Post by Daveybaby »

Aquitaine wrote:Sounds like mod material.
Aye, true. As long as you get a decent spread of system sizes in the standard game i'll be happy.