Getting to Experimentors

Discussion about the project in general, organization, website, or any other details that aren't directly about the game.
TheStudent
Space Krill

Getting to Experimentors

#1 Post by TheStudent »

I am curious just HOW you get to the experimenters' home planet. It's completely cut off from any start lane. So I had a nearby planet in my empire build a star nexus. The result was absolutely NOTHING. No new star lanes at all. So what am I doing wrong, and how do I open a star lane or otherwise send ships to deal with the experimenters?

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

Re: Getting to Experimentors

#2 Post by Oberlus »

The Experimentors, starting from turn 200 (or 250, can't remember), will create temporal starlanes that last for two turns (used by their monsters to get out of the outpost system). If when the time comes you have fast enough ships in the nearby systems, you can cross those starlanes. Sometimes you need several fleets at strategic systems to be sure to stay near one of the random starlanes they create.

AFAIK, Starlane Nexus should create valid starlanes (most of the time, at least). Can you attach screenshots to see what could be the reason? And preferably also save game a couple of turns before the nexus is finished.

defaultuser
Juggernaut

#3 Post by defaultuser »

I have noticed that it's much more difficult to get nexus or bores to connect to the Experimenter world. I discussed one experience here: viewtopic.php?f=28&t=11522

That doesn't mean that I can connect in every game, it's sometimes nearly impossible. I haven't bothered mentioning other cases. When you do create a starlane to the system, it will only last for one turn anyway so you have to keep building new ones.

An interesting method that works sometimes is if there is another planet in the system that you can colonize before you can see them (and if you can create a bore). Bring a colony ship to the jump-off system and create a bore, then send in the colony ship. Then research Stargate, and have that colony build a gate. It will take quite a while, but once you do you can shuttle forces in and out through gates.

drkosy
Space Dragon

#4 Post by drkosy »

An interesting method that works sometimes is if there is another planet in the system that you can colonize before you can see them
I tried that once, but it failed. All monsters are stuck in the system bombarding your planet. Since the experimentors create batches of 2 krakens each 2-4 turns at there beginning of activity, the colony is wiped out fast. Without colonists you can't use the stargate :cry:

I always use the starlane they create. They very often have one system the prefer to connect. There I put my invasion fleet in, while the several defense fleets stay in place. It's just a matter of time since they connect the right system and I go in. Sometimes that took quite a while but I just continue conquering the galaxy and terraforming all my planets to gaia, so I always have plenty to do...
Want some fresh experience? Try Kosymod

Ophiuchus
Programmer

#5 Post by Ophiuchus »

Krakens only destroy certain metabolisms. Use a different species
Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Look, ma... four combat bouts!

LienRag
Cosmic Dragon

#6 Post by LienRag »

IIRC Black Krakens destroy all metabolisms ?

drkosy
Space Dragon

#7 Post by drkosy »

IIRC Black Krakens destroy all metabolisms ?
Correct, they have chaos waves and therefore destroy every metabolism, even phototropic and selfsustaining.

The usual krakens kill lithic population, but they are not from experimentors :evil:
Want some fresh experience? Try Kosymod

defaultuser
Juggernaut

#8 Post by defaultuser »

If you do it right, you get it all done before the Experimenters start producing spawn. You don't get the right conditions very often, but I've never had it fail when I did.