Online voice chat meeting, Wednesday 15th July

Discussion about the project in general, organization, website, or any other details that aren't directly about the game.
rah
Space Floater

Online voice chat meeting, Wednesday 15th July

#1 Post by rah »

Hi all,

Tomorrow will be the third online voice chat meeting, at 8pm Berlin time. Here is the agenda for the meeting:

1. Release
2. UI scaling
3. Any other business

Please reply here you have anything more you'd like to add to the agenda.

The venue will be a Jitsi Meet room here:

https://meet.jit.si/ThoroughNovembersConvertPossibly

Jitsi Meet uses WebRTC. I would strongly recommend testing your browser's audio setup before the meeting.

Cheers,

rah

rah
Space Floater

Re: Online voice chat meeting, Wednesday 15th July

#2 Post by rah »

Now that I've posted this, I seem to recall someone wanted a change, like possibly a change to the time of the meeting? I don't recall what though, sorry.

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#3 Post by Vezzra »

rah wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 1:50 pmPlease reply here you have anything more you'd like to add to the agenda.
Yep, I'd like to discuss the focus of the next release cycle (0.5). However, for that Geoff needs to be present, and since he's on a road trip currently, I don't know if he'll be. So, let's put it on the agenda conditionally.

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#4 Post by Geoff the Medio »

I thought that the next call wouldn't be for another week. Haven't had much time for FreeOrion this week, regardless.

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#5 Post by Vezzra »

In this meeting we again got into the discussion about the need to replace GiGi in the long run. The main issue, as pointed out by Marcel (adrian_broher), is that although there are plenty of GUI libraries out there, seemingly none of them is without serious issues (too simple, too complicated, problematic license, etc.). Like GiGi, most of them have been built to address the needs of a specific project, and are therefore ill-suited for our needs.

Rah once again brought up Godot, which I dismissed some time ago because to me it looked too much geared toward 2D platformers (which is something entirely different indeed), and not offering the GUI functionality and elements FO needs. Rah however pointed out that Godot apparently does claim to also offer the GUI features e.g. strategy games need, so I took yet another look at it.

Turned out Rah might be right after all. Godot seems to offer far stronger support in that area than I originally thought. So I started to implement some (very rudimentary) rapid prototype Godot FO client to get a basic idea what Godot can and can't do.

Put a repo with my efforts on github, for those who are interested to take a look at it:

https://github.com/Vezzra/fo-godot-prototype

Keep in mind that this isn't well structured at all, just a quick and dirty prototype to experiment with the GUI elements. So it just looks like FO, no functionality at all of course. Only the "Quit" and "Single Player" buttons do anything at all. And the visuals - well, what can I say, I seriously suck at anything graphics related. Like painting or drawing. Or designing a pretty UI... ;)