In-person developers meeting/hackfest

Discussion about the project in general, organization, website, or any other details that aren't directly about the game.
Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

Re: In-person developers meeting/hackfest

#16 Post by Oberlus »

The Silent One wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 11:19 am "beer", so count me in
Beer... No I want to go too. Dunno if I'll be able.
The Silent One wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 11:19 am Hot Eaxxaw cosplay!
:shock: :roll: :lol:

Other free/open software meetings, in Germany: FrOSCon and Chemnitz Linux Days.

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#17 Post by Vezzra »

rah wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 11:24 amWhere do you and Vezzra reside?
I'm residing in Austria.

As for why we have a particularly large part of the dev team concentrated in Central Europe, that's purely by chance I think. It hasn't been always that way, the original project lead (Tyreth) is Australian (IIRC), former long time contributors Dilvish and Eleazaar are Americans, Geoff is Canadian and only moved to Germany a couple of years ago (just to name a few examples). Then there is also a substantial Russian faction.

Meaning, essentially the FO dev team is scattered around the world, so any meeting of the proposed kind can only be attended by a subset of contributors located in roughly the same area (unless someone is willing to make a trip from e.g. Europe to the US just for this). It would be something we do more for the fun of it than for practical reasons.

For me such a meeting would be difficult however, mainly because I'm a private person, and very reluctant to disclose my real life identity (which of course will be kind of a challenge when meeting face to face ;)). Not to mention that I just won't have time for anything like that in the foreseeable future. It would definitely be fun though...

defaultuser
Juggernaut

#18 Post by defaultuser »

I believe most of the video conferencing programs allow voice-only. Should your schedule allow later.

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#19 Post by Geoff the Medio »

defaultuser wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 10:07 pmI believe most of the video conferencing programs allow voice-only. Should your schedule allow later.
Most of them also allow a piece of sticky tape over the camera, for the (justifiably?) paranoid.

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#20 Post by Vezzra »

Hm, participating in a video conference call now and then is probably something I could fit into my schedule... can't promise anything though. My evenings are usually already filled with various stuff.