0.4.10 release

Discussion about the project in general, organization, website, or any other details that aren't directly about the game.
Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

0.4.10 release

#1 Post by Vezzra »

The upcoming 0.4.10 release is about the switch to Python3, which has been achieved. That means we can start to prepare for the release.

Before we start the release process for real, which of the ongoing projects should be finished and included? In particular, do we want to remove the remaining Python2 bits (basically the Python2 libraries/frameworks shipped with the installer packages on Windows and macOS AFAIK)? This will make new SDK releases necessary.

Anything else that needs to be taken care of before we can start the release process?

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

Re: 0.4.10 release

#2 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Vezzra wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 7:01 pmdo we want to remove the remaining Python2 bits (basically the Python2 libraries/frameworks shipped with the installer packages on Windows and macOS AFAIK)? This will make new SDK releases necessary.
Probably yes.
Vezzra wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 7:01 pmAnything else that needs to be taken care of before we can start the release process?
-There are a few UI layout quirks I'd like to fix.
-There are some Japanese translation / font discussions ongoing.
-There are a few pull requests and issues on github that should be dealt with first.

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#3 Post by Vezzra »

Sorry for the late response, last week has been a bit crazy (still due to the current crisis situation).
Geoff the Medio wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 3:53 pm
Vezzra wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 7:01 pmdo we want to remove the remaining Python2 bits (basically the Python2 libraries/frameworks shipped with the installer packages on Windows and macOS AFAIK)? This will make new SDK releases necessary.
Probably yes.
For this...
-There are a few UI layout quirks I'd like to fix.
...and this github issues/PRs should be created and assigned to the "next release" milestone.
-There are some Japanese translation / font discussions ongoing.
From what I have seen, respective issues/PRs already exists. Please assign them to the "next release" milestone if that hasn't been done already.
-There are a few pull requests and issues on github that should be dealt with first.
Ditto, please assign these to the "next release" milestone.

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#4 Post by Vezzra »

Currently (as of the time of this post) there are only 4 items left assigned to the "next release" milestone:

https://github.com/freeorion/freeorion/milestone/25

Is that really all that should be considered mandatory for 0.4.10? If not, the relevant issues/PRs that haven't been assigned to the "next release" milestone need to be assigned. If there are things that need to be addressed/included for which no issue/PR hasn't been created, then those need to be created and assigned now.

Please, all currently active contributers, check if everything is on that list that needs to be there, and make sure everything missing gets added.

I need this to manage the release.

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#5 Post by Oberlus »

Having this one would be nice, but it only affects multiplayer.

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#6 Post by Vezzra »

Oberlus wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 6:37 pm Having this one would be nice, but it only affects multiplayer.
It has originally been assigned to the "next release" milestone, but o01eg removed it for whatever reason. Personally I too would want to include this into the release, as I consider it a quite serious issue.

o01eg?

o01eg
Programmer

#7 Post by o01eg »

Vezzra wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 2:28 pm
Oberlus wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 6:37 pm Having this one would be nice, but it only affects multiplayer.
It has originally been assigned to the "next release" milestone, but o01eg removed it for whatever reason. Personally I too would want to include this into the release, as I consider it a quite serious issue.

o01eg?
I've decided to remove it as it can be implemented purely server-side so I don't want it be a release blocker. If it's desired to be in release so I can return milestone back.

I didn't find quick solution as it requires GalaxySetupData to get a m_encoding_empire like Universe.
Gentoo Linux x64, gcc-11.2, boost-1.78.0
Ubuntu Server 22.04 x64, gcc-12, boost-1.74.0
Welcome to the slow multiplayer game at freeorion-lt.dedyn.io.Version 2024-03-15.b3de094.
Donations're welcome:BTC:bc1q007qldm6eppqcukewtfkfcj0naut9njj7audnm

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#8 Post by Vezzra »

It seems we're a bit stuck - although there is plenty of dev activity going on currently, apparently the items still on the list for the release milestone aren't worked on.

Two options: either those items are given priority so they can be finished/resolved, or reconsider if they are really needed for the release.

Please, all active devs/contributors, check the items assigned to the "next release" milestone and give your opinion on whether these items should really be considered release-blocking or not, or to start work on them.

Finally, to once again repeat this question: Are there any other items anyone thinks need to be included into the release? If yes, please post a request here and open corresponding issues/PRs on github.

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#9 Post by Oberlus »

#2862 is already fixed by #2866. There would be a new issue stemming from this fix regarding happiness and xenophobics that should be easy to solve during the next two days if enough manpower is available.

#2814 might be difficult or onerous to fix properly, and it is not gamebraking (plus AI has received some recent improvements that make it a more challenging adversary). It's been a lingering issue for several FO releases now, just not reported before. I would remove it from the v0.4.10 milestones (and move it to next "next release") if not solved in the next two days.

#2777 is also an old issue to which no one has ever given any insight and might be difficult to solve. Plus it is not game-breaking, just a bit confusing for players. I would also remove it from the milestones (better next "next release") if not solved in the next two days.
Last edited by Oberlus on Sun Apr 19, 2020 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ophiuchus
Programmer

#10 Post by Ophiuchus »

Snapwise the necessary 0.4.10 track is already granted.

It will be also interesting as the default track feature is now commonly available. It might be that some people use it and will not automatically convert to 0.4.10

It would be great if one could write a very short "why should you change to 0.4.10".

I would try to deliver that info using the FO start screen to the 0.4.9 channel and see if the people manually convert.
Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Look, ma... four combat bouts!

swaq
Space Dragon

#11 Post by swaq »

Oberlus wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 12:09 pm #2862 is already fixed by #2866. There would be a new issue stemming from this fix regarding happiness and xenophobics that should be easy to solve during the next two days if enough manpower is available.
PR #2966 fixes issue #2862 without any lingering question on the xenophobic problem. It's done.

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#12 Post by Oberlus »

swaq wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 1:46 pm
Oberlus wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 12:09 pm #2862 is already fixed by #2866. There would be a new issue stemming from this fix regarding happiness and xenophobics that should be easy to solve during the next two days if enough manpower is available.
PR #2966 fixes issue #2862 without any lingering question on the xenophobic problem. It's done.
Oh, great, sorry for the (continuous) confusion.

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#13 Post by Oberlus »

#2488 is still lingering and should be fixed (already in the "next release" milestones).
Fixed.

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#14 Post by Vezzra »

Ok, #2862 has been fixed, #2814 and #2777 have been removed from the 0.4.10 milestone.

Now there are only two issues remaining: #2883, which I think serious enough to have to be addressed for 0.4.10, and #2887. The latter I wonder why it has been assigned to the release milestone, because I'd consider that "infrastructure" stuff, it has nothing to do with the actual codebase or content, does it? So I'd like some feedback if #2887 really needs to be considered release-blocking (unless it's merged soon, in which case this discussion is moot).

I have also created the "post release" milestone, please assign issues and PRs to it that should not be included into 0.4.10 (or worked on before the release is out).

If we can resolve/finalize these last items, I might be able to create the release branch next Sunday.

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#15 Post by Geoff the Medio »

There have been numerous bugs reported in the last few days on the forums, which haven't been copied to github, so I think we need to wait for those to be sorted out as well...