System Names

Discussion about the project in general, organization, website, or any other details that aren't directly about the game.
Setjhaba
Space Floater

System Names

#1 Post by Setjhaba »

The names of the starsystems should be editable. If they already are: How can I change them? I did notice starnames.txt and I know I could change this file but an possibility to change the names ingame would be nice...

pd
Graphics Lead Emeritus

#2 Post by pd »

This would be problematic if a system is shared by 2 or more races. That's why you can only change the name of planets colonized by your empire.

Carbon Copy Man
Space Squid

#3 Post by Carbon Copy Man »

Maybe you could engineer it so that you can only change the names of systems in your full control.

Systems with colonies of multiple empires are locked, until one conquers the lot of it.

noelte
Juggernaut

#4 Post by noelte »

Changing system or even planet names is disputeable. It could be disturbing if you see system Alpha Centauri at one turn and Orion Nebular at the next. That's why i think sticky system names are best. (maybe planet names too)

EDIT: Maybe useful in single-player games.
Press any key to continue or any other key to cancel.
Can COWs fly?

Impaler
Creative Contributor

#5 Post by Impaler »

How about No name untill a system is colonized or claimed.

Also if we implement Secors we could name stars by theirs Secotor for example the Antioch Sector contains...

Antioch Alpha
Antioch Beta
Antioch Gama
ect ect ect

Planets would be numbered so inside Antioch Alpha you have

Antioch Alpha I
Antioch Alpha II
Antioch Alpha III
Antioch Alpha IV

This name could be the "Official" name of the planet which it has from the start of the game for all players. The "Empire" Name is a temporary and Changable name that is put their by the controling Empire. The game simply translates from one Empire name into Official name and into the Empire name of a different race.

Another method might be a Cordinated based system. Each Star system has a 6 digit number that reflects into map cordinates 000-000 up too 999-999. This could serve as a universal name that independent of what race owns a star system. It could also be combined with the Sector idea to create "Antioch 235-618". Which could optionaly be translated to the Empire specific name.
Fear is the Mind Killer - Frank Herbert -Dune

utilae
Cosmic Dragon

#6 Post by utilae »

I think the best thing to do is give the planet a random default name. When the player discovers the planet, they have the option to name it. They can choose a new name or the default name if they're lazy. Once the planet is named, it cannot be changed. Even if another race colonizes it before you or if another race conquers your colony. The one who named it, gets the great honor of keeping the planet named after them.

Maybe you could even get points added to your victory points based on how many planets you have discovered and named.

Carbon Copy Man
Space Squid

#7 Post by Carbon Copy Man »

Although I'd hate to be stuck with my colonies named by another player's less-than-lovable sense of humour.

Would you like to colonise Arse III?

Sure if he wants to use that kind of name for his own colonies, but I'd hate to think that such a colony (being on the border) is likely to be one of my key defensive systems.