0.4.9 release procedure

Discussion about the project in general, organization, website, or any other details that aren't directly about the game.
labgnome
Juggernaut

Re: 0.4.9 release procedure

#16 Post by labgnome »

Geoff the Medio wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2019 10:13 amThe basic government policies functionality seems to be working; empires accumulate influence points (IP), and can spend them to adopt policies, which have various effects associated with them, and they can be cancelled at no cost. But there aren't enough policies implemented, particularly after the early game, nor enough ways to get slots to put the policies in, and nothing is balanced beyond my vague guesses for testing purposes, and the AI doesn't know anything about the system yet. I'd like to merge the Government branch into master as soon as a release branch is created, so that it can get some attention beyond me.

There were some Government branch builds put out for a while, but they apparently stopped when dev work stopped for a while: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=11173
Unfortunately I no longer have access to a linux machine. I'd like to offer ideas and feedback for the government system and policies, but I don't know enough about how it works to feel comfortable doing that. I mean I have ideas, but they are all shots in the dark right now, and don't want to overturn what work has been done.
All of my contributions should be considered released under creative commons attribution share-alike license, CC-BY-SA 3.0 for use in, by and with the Free Orion project.

o01eg
Programmer

#17 Post by o01eg »

o01eg wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2019 8:30 am
o01eg wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 2:46 pm There issue for boost 1.70 compatibility: https://github.com/freeorion/freeorion/issues/2468

There pull request to update SDK: https://github.com/freeorion/freeorion-sdk/pull/49

At least 1.66 -> 1.69 could be merged. I didn't find any remaining issues with 1.69.
I've rearranged my PRs so update to boost 1.69 is ready to merge.
Update to boost 1.70 or even python 3 support could be merged too.
Gentoo Linux x64, gcc-11.2, boost-1.78.0
Ubuntu Server 22.04 x64, gcc-12, boost-1.74.0
Welcome to the slow multiplayer game at freeorion-lt.dedyn.io.Version 2024-03-15.b3de094.
Donations're welcome:BTC:bc1q007qldm6eppqcukewtfkfcj0naut9njj7audnm

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#18 Post by Vezzra »

labgnome wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2019 12:08 pmAs someone too inept to compile, this makes me just a little sad. I was hoping to get to actually get to see what Free Orion government would be like in the near future :(
While I can understand and share the sentiment, if we want to get out a release this year, Government will have to wait for post 0.4.9. That's a major addition which needs some extensive and serious playtesting before it can be considered release-ready.

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#19 Post by Vezzra »

Just a small update: as mentioned elsewhere, my Mac has died and needed to be replaced, and then of course I needed to rebuild my system on the new machine.

That turned out to be a much bigger headache than expected. Guess that happens when you replace your hardware only once it actually breaks down - you've got so much stuff accumulating on your system, that deciding what to keep and then to transfer the rest to the new system becomes a chore. Especially when you've got not much spare time to do it on your hands.

The good news is that my new Mac is almost good to go. I hope I can resume the release procedure at the end of the month/start of the next month. Obviously, we won't be able to get the release out in summer. I guess October is a realistic time frame? Could we try and aim for that?

Provided we manage to deal with the most serious road-blocking issues, in particular I'm thinking of the Mac specific one which has the single player game dialog broken: discussion thread and github issue.

Looks like getting this release out will be quite the challenge...

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#20 Post by Vezzra »

In an effort to get things moving again with the 0.4.9 release, I finally sat down today and implemented the changes to our github milestones and management of releases proposed and discussed here.

The old "next release" milestone is gone now, the issues/PRs I deemed mandatory/required for 0.4.9 have been assigned to the newly created "v0.4.9" milestone (as well as all the issues/PRs that have been resolved/merged since 0.4.8 of course). All other still open issues/PRs had their milestone removed and are now without milestone, indicating that these are only "optional" for 0.4.9.

This is of course only my personal assessment, and you might not agree with my decision about what is mandatory and what "only" optional. Therefore I ask all active developers and contributors to go over the list of open issues and PRs and check my milestone assignment. If you think that something I considered mandatory should only be optional or vice-versa, or maybe something important for the release hasn't has received a proper issue/PR yet but should be included, please post a proper request here (and add a issue/PR as required).

Here is the link to the list of issues/PRs which are currently assigned to the 0.4.9 milestone:

https://github.com/freeorion/freeorion/milestone/24

All these issues/PRs need to be addressed/merged before the release branch can be created. Once all issues/PRs assigned to this milestone have been addressed/merged I will proceed with the creation of the release branch and subsequently the release candidates.

It is therefore important that everyone actively involved currently checks this list if nothing that should be on it is missing.

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#21 Post by Vezzra »

As I mentioned in the "Managing Github Milestones thread", I've now created a "post release" milestone, which is intended to serve as the milestone for issues/PRs that should not go into the next release (0.4.9 in our case).

I myself didn't have the time to go over all the open issues/PRs again to pick out those which probably should get assigned to "post release". So please, if anyone has already specific issues/PRs in mind which they think should be, either post your suggestions here, or go ahead and assign them to "post release".

Geoff, I'd ask you specifically, as I assume you already have a couple of candidates in mind, feel free to assign those to "post release" as you see fit.

To the entire dev team: please start focusing on the issues/PRs assigned to the "v0.4.9" milestone. The faster we get those done, the faster we'll get this release out. :D

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#22 Post by Vezzra »

We are down to three items still open for the 0.4.9 milestone. Meaning, we are finally at a point where we are ready to create the release branch. To give everyone some time to object/speak up, get something into master, or add issues/PRs to the 0.4.9 milestone before that happens, I won't do it immediately.

Creation of the 0.4.9 release branch is scheduled for next Sunday, Oct 20th 2019, 1pm UTC.

Once the release branch has been created, issues/PRs that need to be addressed in/incorporated into the release branch need to be assigned to the 0.4.9 milestone (if that hasn't been done already). PRs also need to be tagged as "status:cherry-pick for release", if they haven't been cherry picked already. The tag must be removed when the cherry picking happens (important to keep track of what already has been and what still needs to be cherry picked).

The weekly test builds will be based on the release branch after it has been created until the release is out.

I ask everyone actively involved as developer/contributor to check again if everything you think important for the release is present as issue/PR and assigned to the 0.4.9 milestone. If anything is missing, please provide a proper issue/PR. Before I actually create the release branch, I will check the open items assigned to the 0.4.9 milestone. If there are too many items on the list or something major comes up, I'll postpone the creation of the release branch.

Post any objections, comments, input regarding this procedure here.

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#23 Post by Vezzra »

Unfortunately I got sick (again), so I won't be able to do FO stuff, meaning I can't proceed with the planned creation of the release branch. Will be postponed until next Sunday (hopefully I'm sufficiently better then):

Creation of the 0.4.9 release branch is scheduled for next Sunday, Oct 27th 2019, 1pm UTC.

Look at it from the bright side, gives you guys a bit more time to get things in... ;)

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#24 Post by Vezzra »

Because the number of open issues/PRs assigned to the 0.4.9 milestone has increased significantly, and because of the current issues with the forum which make communications and coordination of development efforts rather difficult, I've decided to postpone the creation of the release branch until further notice.

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#25 Post by Vezzra »

We are down to three items still open for the 0.4.9 milestone again, so it's time for another attempt to finally create the release branch for 0.4.9. As before, I want to give everyone a week to object/speak up, get something into master, or add issues/PRs to the 0.4.9 milestone before that happens.

Creation of the 0.4.9 release branch is scheduled for next Sunday, November 24th 2019, 1pm UTC.

I want to reiterate what I already said above:

Once the release branch has been created, issues/PRs that need to be addressed in/incorporated into the release branch need to be assigned to the 0.4.9 milestone (if that hasn't been done already). PRs also need to be tagged as "status:cherry-pick for release", if they haven't been cherry picked already. The tag must be removed when the cherry picking happens (important to keep track of what already has been and what still needs to be cherry picked).

Something I want to add I didn't mention above: Unless there are very compelling reasons, only bugfix branches should be cherry-picked into the release branch, no feature branches. The creation of the release branch basically means feature-freeze for the release.

The weekly test builds will be based on the release branch after it has been created until the release is out.

I'll also want to repeat my appeal to everyone actively involved as developer/contributor to check again if everything you think important for the release is present as issue/PR and assigned to the 0.4.9 milestone. If anything is missing, please provide a proper issue/PR. As already said above, before I actually create the release branch, I will check the open items assigned to the 0.4.9 milestone. If there are too many items on the list or something major comes up, I'll postpone the creation of the release branch once again.

Again, post any objections, comments, input regarding this procedure here.

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#26 Post by Oberlus »

Most or all multiplayers are really really really interested in having this merged for release:

https://github.com/freeorion/freeorion/pull/2628

As per the github comments: fixes the comsat unbalance, does not break the AI, does not break any other balance.

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#27 Post by Vezzra »

I've added #2628 to the 0.4.9 milestone.

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#28 Post by Vezzra »

Quick reminder: I will create the release branch as planned at 1pm UTC today (which is in less than 4 hours as of the time of this post).

o01eg
Programmer

#29 Post by o01eg »

Should master have "0.4.9+" version? It looks like misleading for some maintainers: https://bugs.gentoo.org/685718
Gentoo Linux x64, gcc-11.2, boost-1.78.0
Ubuntu Server 22.04 x64, gcc-12, boost-1.74.0
Welcome to the slow multiplayer game at freeorion-lt.dedyn.io.Version 2024-03-15.b3de094.
Donations're welcome:BTC:bc1q007qldm6eppqcukewtfkfcj0naut9njj7audnm

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#30 Post by Vezzra »

The 0.4.9 release branch has been created. Further procedure regarding the release as outlined in my earlier posts in this thread (e.g. here), and as explained in this post and the subsequent ones on that thread.

I'll also create a release management issue on github asap. RC1 will probably already scheduled for Tuesday, December 3rd, as there are currently no open issues and PRs for the 0.4.9 milestone.