Website Updates

Discussion about the project in general, organization, website, or any other details that aren't directly about the game.
Tyreth
FreeOrion Lead Emeritus

Website Updates

#1 Post by Tyreth »

Some of you may have noticed I've laid out the screenshots page differently and added a "latest" section to the front page. I'm looking to find ways to update the front page and make it look better. While the 0.3 release isn't ready yet, I do want the front page worked on a lot more before then. This would include possibly even skinning it differently.

Suggestions on how to improve the layout and design of the front page is the purpose of this thread.

One possibility is to change the menu on the left to the standard items you would see on a website: Main, Screenshots, Documentation, FAQ, Forums, Contact Us. On the front page area we would have more information on the project and news, and less links to other portions. Then, when someone clicks on documentation they see a list of links similar to what is currently the front page.

I'm sure some of you will have other ideas, so let them out here. I'm also looking for suggestions on artwork and appearance on the website.

At the very least, these changes do need to be made:
* Community Portal, Current Events, Random Page removed from the menu
* Forums link added

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

Re: Website Updates

#2 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Tyreth wrote:At the very least, these changes do need to be made:
* Community Portal, Current Events, Random Page removed from the menu
* Forums link added
Don't see the need to remove "Random Page", but I'd get rid of "Help" from the side-menu.

You should also probably edit-protect any page linked directly off the main page, since apparently going through the links on the main page is the preferred way to pick pages to vandalize.

Yoghurt
Programmer

Re: Website Updates

#3 Post by Yoghurt »

Geoff the Medio wrote:You should also probably edit-protect any page linked directly off the main page
That would, IMHO, render the Wiki nearly useless, as the most important pages cannot be edited except by a few people. And all that because of one stupid vandal?

Tyreth
FreeOrion Lead Emeritus

#4 Post by Tyreth »

I won't block any other pages. I want the wiki to be editable by anyone. We can deal with one stupid vandal who thinks he's making some sort of point.