How can I contribute as a programmer?

Discussion about the project in general, organization, website, or any other details that aren't directly about the game.
adrian_broher
Programmer

Re: How can I contribute as a programmer?

#16 Post by adrian_broher »

defaultuser wrote:What are developers using for the most part?
The thread is a bit dated but probably still useful to answer your question:

http://www.freeorion.org/forum/viewtopi ... =26&t=9446
Resident code gremlin
Attached patches are released under GPL 2.0 or later.
Git author: Marcel Metz

defaultuser
Juggernaut

#17 Post by defaultuser »

Visual Studio is what I use at work, so obviously the most familiar to me. I haven't looked at the 2015 free version, whatever they named that. The 2017 seems to be called "Community". Do these have full library support for doing development?

adrian_broher
Programmer

#18 Post by adrian_broher »

defaultuser wrote:Visual Studio is what I use at work, so obviously the most familiar to me. I haven't looked at the 2015 free version, whatever they named that. The 2017 seems to be called "Community". Do these have full library support for doing development?
To be honest the whole VS thing is a whole pile of bullcrap. Yes, Geoff uses some version of it but you need to jump through various hoops to have a working build environment on Windows in general when you want it for free. For once you need a variant of Visual Studio C++ 2015 toolchain as this the only version we provide precompiled external dependencies for. Then there are at least three variants of "VS Express 2015" (the "free as free beer" VS version) where only one is usable for native Windows Application development, "Visual Studio Express 2015 for Windows Desktop" if I remember right. And this version doesn't provide a native C++ toolchain out of the box. You can download this C++ toolchain as external package called "Common Tools for VC++" IIRC and of course you need the 2015 version. Maybe having the free version of Visual Studio 2017 and combining it with the 2015 Common Tools for VC++ works, but I'm happy to have a working setup installed in a backup-ed and snapshot-ed virtual machine where all of this is installed in a proper way so I don't want bother with it anymore.
Resident code gremlin
Attached patches are released under GPL 2.0 or later.
Git author: Marcel Metz

defaultuser
Juggernaut

#19 Post by defaultuser »

Well, when I get a chance here in the coming months I'll take a look at it. As I said, I work with VS a lot, but that doesn't mean it's the only thing I can use. Over the years I have used many development environments for various platforms.

LGM-Doyle
Programmer

#20 Post by LGM-Doyle »

This is in response to the initial post requesting some direction in where to get involved.

I have added a project to improve the memory management of the parser code. There are half a dozen help-wanted issues of limited scope with an example PR.

If you would like to handle an issue, please remember to ask a dev to make you the assignee so that someone else won't submit a PR for an issue that you are spending time working on.