Online voice chat meeting, Monday November 1st 2021

Discussion about the project in general, organization, website, or any other details that aren't directly about the game.
Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

Online voice chat meeting, Monday November 1st 2021

#1 Post by Vezzra »

Following our normal schedule, tonight would be the time for our next online voice chat meeting. But as the last one had been postponed a week and happened on October 4th (which has been only 3 weeks ago), and because I don't have time today, I propose to have the next one next week.

That means our next meeting is on Monday, November 1st 2021, 6pm UTC or 7pm Vienna/Berlin time*
"Place" as usual: https://meet.jit.si/ThoroughNovembersConvertPossibly

* 7pm Vienna/Berlin time because, if I'm not mistaken, next weekend the switch from daylight saving time to "normal" time will happen (which puts Vienna/Berlin time back to UTC+1). Please correct me if I'm wrong.

There are no topic suggestions from my side beside the usual anything that comes to mind. If anyone has suggestions for topics, please post them here.

Cheers! :D

Ophiuchus
Programmer

Re: Online voice chat meeting, Monday November 1st 2021

#2 Post by Ophiuchus »

Won't be able to attend this time. I wanted to work on a minimal client for on-the-go. In the last devtalk the output was that should be web page for reaching maximum number of supported clients. Not much progress here:

I had a look a c++ based web frameworks and that did not look so convincing. I think I will provide a REST interface to the data and for the operations (and then add a static minimal entry point html and then throw some CSS over it).

Not sure about how authentication will work, probably basic auth and relaying that to the freeoriond for authentication.
Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Look, ma... four combat bouts!

o01eg
Programmer

#3 Post by o01eg »

I would like to discuss FreeOrion SDK for Android https://github.com/freeorion/freeorion-sdk/pull/86
Gentoo Linux x64, gcc-11.2, boost-1.78.0
Ubuntu Server 22.04 x64, gcc-12, boost-1.74.0
Welcome to the slow multiplayer game at freeorion-lt.dedyn.io.Version 2024-03-15.b3de094.
Donations're welcome:BTC:bc1q007qldm6eppqcukewtfkfcj0naut9njj7audnm

o01eg
Programmer

#4 Post by o01eg »

Not sure if I'll get time to participate but also want ask if change galaxy map in Godot to 2D galaxy map from GiGi client in Godot instead of 3D galaxy map and continue to reproduce old FreeOrion client?
Gentoo Linux x64, gcc-11.2, boost-1.78.0
Ubuntu Server 22.04 x64, gcc-12, boost-1.74.0
Welcome to the slow multiplayer game at freeorion-lt.dedyn.io.Version 2024-03-15.b3de094.
Donations're welcome:BTC:bc1q007qldm6eppqcukewtfkfcj0naut9njj7audnm

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#5 Post by Geoff the Medio »

o01eg wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 8:39 amchange galaxy map in Godot to 2D galaxy map from GiGi client in Godot instead of 3D galaxy map and continue to reproduce old FreeOrion client?
Are you asking if making the Godot client galaxy map 2D with a fixed camera orientation that is OK? (Yes)

Or if others think it would be be a better interface than a 3D view? (I think probably yes)

Or if it's technically possible? (I assume so, but don't know the details)

To me, since the game galaxy is on a 2D plane, moving the camera around to different angles doesn't give any additional useful information.

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#6 Post by Oberlus »

I didn't know FO map was 3D...

2D would we faster (if only marginally), which is good for small devices?

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#7 Post by Vezzra »

Oberlus wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 12:34 pm I didn't know FO map was 3D...
Only in the prototype Godot client. As it was relatively easy to implement a 3D map with the tools Godot provides I decided to go ahead and try to do that when implementing my prototype.

However, looks like it would take too much extra effort to keep the 3D map when copying all the functionality of the FO galaxy map over to the Godot client, so we decided to go back to a 2D map.