I'm here - introduction

Talk about anything and everything related or unrelated to the FreeOrion project, especially Strategy Games.

Moderator: Oberlus

Bromstarzan
Dyson Forest

Re: I'm here - introduction

#256 Post by Bromstarzan »

Just a quickie here:
- What to do with strategic nodes that only have a Gas Giant? Place outpost and generate shield (with all eventual barrier bonuses accuired)? What else? Place defensive fleets? If I remember correctly, there's no way to terraform the Gas Giant into a habitable world right? No way to put orbital defences other than just a fleet?

Love this game!
/Broms
| i7 7700K [email protected] | GTX 1080 Ti | RAM: 32GB | PSU: 750w | W10 x64 | 2xAcer1920x1080 |

AndrewW
Juggernaut

#257 Post by AndrewW »

You could use the Artificial Planet technology to turn it into a huge barren world.

Bromstarzan
Dyson Forest

#258 Post by Bromstarzan »

Oh, so that is possible, did not realize! Thanks for pointing out that option, AndrewW!
I had somwhere back in my mind that it was possible, need to check what my research looks like :D

[EDIT]: Remember this now, and also see the benefits of going up that Research tree. It's all in the Pedia, but I was filtering the wrong keyword: "terraforming". Lucky as we are, you guys provide very quick responses at the forum, complementing the Pedia. Will this feature continue, having live advisors? :lol:
In this case, I will probably defend it by fleets alone and my barrier tech, since Artificial planets were quite a long way away :mrgreen: .
| i7 7700K [email protected] | GTX 1080 Ti | RAM: 32GB | PSU: 750w | W10 x64 | 2xAcer1920x1080 |

defaultuser
Juggernaut

#259 Post by defaultuser »

A lot depends on your game setup. I don't bother with them because the tech needed absorbs too much research I need for other things, as my games don't generally last that long.

Bromstarzan
Dyson Forest

#260 Post by Bromstarzan »

defaultuser wrote:A lot depends on your game setup. I don't bother with them because the tech needed absorbs too much research I need for other things, as my games don't generally last that long.
Yep, I can see your point, but I'm a slow gamer and also still learning so I take every chance to implement a tech just to see the effect/use. Like I said, I was also rushing a bit in this game, so I'm still holding this position by a strong fleet. Still seems to work :D
Thanks defaultuser for your input, feels great to have you guys on the forum as usual!

MatGB
Creative Contributor

#261 Post by MatGB »

There are some techs/advances that are almost pointless on a small map but that can be overpowered on a large one: I try to balance things for game of between 150-300 systems, for artificial planets the larger the map the more useful they are, if you're playing 150 systems or smaller some things will be fairly useless as the game is over before you've had the chance to use them.

Same applies to species: Egassem are less and less powerful the bigger the map, but in a very small map they can win before other species have even got started.

I've tweaked the costs of APs since I introduced the paradise planet and factory world, still not sure they're right, I don't use them much as I'm very much a speed/blitz player and they're less useful for me, but for a slow build player they can be incredibly useful.

Personally, I rarely worry too much about putting stuff in key intersections for defensive stuff: I tend to try to keep an opponent I'm not actively invading off balance by having enough of a fleet around the border to disrupt any plans while I build up enough to fight on multiple fronts.

A good fleet is a far better defence, because it can go on the offence.
Mat Bowles

Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

defaultuser
Juggernaut

#262 Post by defaultuser »

I agree with Mat. I play at the lower end of the range he mentions, so the emphasis is early on building up colonies and then warships to go visit the neighbors. For me the key techs are Production, Ships, Growth, and Intelligence. Occasionally in a stalled game I might be looking at things like Artificial Black Hole (assuming no colonizable black holes) and Pure Energy Metabolism, but usually I don't even use them.

Bromstarzan
Dyson Forest

#263 Post by Bromstarzan »

I see... I guess I'm putting too much thought and effort into key nodes. As the game plays now, I can only take your word for it (and that is ofcourse how it works), but I also like to "imagine" (if I can afford) to block enemies by completely block a key intersection. The balance so far is good and I seem to have cut off my mid-game opponent by shield barriers and a limited fleet.

By the way, I'm now playing FO using the Borderless gaming with SRWE 2.2 and it works great for dual screens! The only thing is, I can't save the setup in a preferable manner (yet), will look into it. Anybody else using dual screens and Borderless gaming/SRWE2.2?

defaultuser
Juggernaut

#264 Post by defaultuser »

Well yes, strategically placed fleets are important, as are outposts to extend or maintain supply lines. I just wouldn't spend a lot of time worrying about trying to do too much with a gas giant. In particular, I wouldn't spend much time researching tech that has limited use.

EricF
Space Dragon

#265 Post by EricF »

Bromstarzan wrote:I see... I guess I'm putting too much thought and effort into key nodes. As the game plays now, I can only take your word for it (and that is ofcourse how it works), but I also like to "imagine" (if I can afford) to block enemies by completely block a key intersection. The balance so far is good and I seem to have cut off my mid-game opponent by shield barriers and a limited fleet.
Well, if you really want to seal off a system there is the Gateway to the Void building.
Of course it has problems. It takes ten turns to build. In ten turns I could build a pretty decent defense fleet, mid to late game which is usually when you get that tech anyway, and it is virtually useless against another Human player in a multi-player game. To be more useful, I would really like to see that build time reduced to maybe two to three turns max.
Mainly use it against Experimentor monsters until I can build up enough anti-monster fleets (man I hate Experimentors).

Bromstarzan
Dyson Forest

#266 Post by Bromstarzan »

Thanks gents for all valuable input!

I see what you are saying, and for my game here, the best is to just keep an eye on the nearby activity and perhaps reinforce the node with another fleet if neccessary. I'll also try the artificial planet tech and look into the gateway to the void.

I havn't posted any screenshot of the situation, but it's a cluster map and I'm very likely to be trapped in my second wave expansion unless I hold this particular node :D

FO rocks!

EricF
Space Dragon

#267 Post by EricF »

Bromstarzan wrote: I havn't posted any screenshot of the situation, but it's a cluster map and I'm very likely to be trapped in my second wave expansion unless I hold this particular node :D
That does seem like a good candidate for a Gateway to the Void building.
Just make sure you don't park any of your own ships there. :wink:

Bromstarzan
Dyson Forest

#268 Post by Bromstarzan »

(sorry for the wide post - but that's the point, sort of) :D
I've been experimenting with the BorderlessGaming software and it works brilliantly with FO, except that you have to spend 2-3 mins to re-setup the window positions each time you continue the game. It's totally worth it if you know you're gonna spend an hour+ roaming the universe :mrgreen:

Why BorderlessGaming? Well, if you have a dual monitor setup (or a tripple screen setup) that are not entirely the same resolution you can make a "fullscreen" experience with BorderlessGaming as it simulates fullscreen, regardless of different monitor resolutions. Performance is just the same or even better.

The above example is from mixing a 1680x1050 + 1280x1024. It gives a fantastic feel just to get rid of that windows frame.

dbenage-cx
Programmer

#269 Post by dbenage-cx »

Does a persistent config help at all?

Bromstarzan
Dyson Forest

#270 Post by Bromstarzan »

dbenage-cx wrote:Does a persistent config help at all?
I don't know, will have to try the xml way. Thanks for reminding me. I'm afraid it's a catch 22, but a config file might actually work.