I'm here - introduction

Talk about anything and everything related or unrelated to the FreeOrion project, especially Strategy Games.

Moderator: Oberlus

Bromstarzan
Dyson Forest

Re: I'm here - introduction

#271 Post by Bromstarzan »

So, a little more on the "fullscreen" issue using multiple monitors and SRWE.
It works perfectly fine, indeed it is fantastic with my multiple monitors. The downside is only that I have to set my subwindow positions every time I start a session. I will check more options within SRWE to try and solve this but I have not much hope for it as is now. Windowed mode works ok with my persistent_config.xml.

FO looks brilliant and performs brilliant once I have setup the session.

Now over to a totally different question. I have as a beginner used the Game Graphs extensively. Especially the Rough Estimate of Total Military Strength curve along with Research and Production output. This is crucial information that I have access to but should not know until I have researched certain technologies, right? A combination of scanning techs, scout outreach and diplomacy should provide this info I guess? Are there any plans to restrict this info?

What are the plans of the Game Graphs features, any filtering depending on tech?

Also, if I choose to host a multiplayer session, does it allow for friendlies (co-op) to beat AI?
| i7 7700K [email protected] | GTX 1080 Ti | RAM: 32GB | PSU: 750w | W10 x64 | 2xAcer1920x1080 |

MatGB
Creative Contributor

#272 Post by MatGB »

Graphs are planned to be gated in some way at some point, but I use them fairly heavily when testing new features, including some of my own bespoke tests sometimes, so the gating isn't going to happen for awhile in development, last we discussed it we wanted to do it at the same time we did espionage based stuff, which will be after diplomacy is actually setup properly.

Re alliances, the current "Victory" conditions are relatively simplistic in their approach and I don't think we allow for alliance victory, however given we barely have any diplomacy features that's not really a surprise. I think it's something we ought to make sure is included as/when we have proper diplomacy. But until we do, well, not implemented ;-)

Our current "main features" roadmap/plan is roughly:
0.4.7: Fighters (you can play with this now but it's buggy)
0.5.0: Influence (you need to be able to compile to even try this and it doesn't work and the AI will just die)
0.5.1: Not fully decided, but diplomacy will come after Influence at some point
Mat Bowles

Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Bromstarzan
Dyson Forest

#273 Post by Bromstarzan »

Good to hear that the graphs will be gated somehow. Based on espionage and diplomacy - sounds very good.
It is also a very good tool for beginners (like me) so it might have to go into session option to have it fully visible or not.

Perhaps there are plans to make it partially visible depending on your empires range (circles).

Also, how do I filter my object list to show only my Troop ships? I could not find the easy way.

Best regards,
Broms
| i7 7700K [email protected] | GTX 1080 Ti | RAM: 32GB | PSU: 750w | W10 x64 | 2xAcer1920x1080 |

Bromstarzan
Dyson Forest

#274 Post by Bromstarzan »

Enjoying the new updates!
...and just realized (after some browsing thru the game-folder) that I could not find anywhere to control/change the "center on object" screen coordinates?
The reason I'm looking to change the "highlighting/centering"-coordinates is that I play with 2 identical monitors and when (in wiki/object list) I hit the link and the object ends up in the center of the screen - in my case; just in the middle between my 2 monitors. So, the question; is there a way to set those "centering on object"-coordinates manually?

Thanks for any comments, cheers,
Broms

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#275 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Bromstarzan wrote:...is there a way to set those "centering on object"-coordinates manually?
Not without editing the C++ source code.

Bromstarzan
Dyson Forest

#276 Post by Bromstarzan »

Thanks Geoff!
That's what I was thinking, now I know. :D

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#277 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Bromstarzan wrote:That's what I was thinking, now I know. :D
If you can compile, have a look at MapWnd::CenterOnMapCoord. Adding an offset to the position based on the window size shouldn't be too difficult, nor would adding an option to store / set that offset.

Bromstarzan
Dyson Forest

#278 Post by Bromstarzan »

That's right, for my particular setup it seems it would be perfect to just change 2 to 3 (or 4) for the ul.x:
GG::X_d current_x = (AppWidth() / 2 - ul.x) / ZoomFactor();
GG::Y_d current_y = (AppHeight() / 2 - ul.y) / ZoomFactor();

But I don't have (anymore) the tools/knowledge to compile.
I'll just keep this in mind and if I set up a compiler I'll get back to it.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!

Bromstarzan
Dyson Forest

#279 Post by Bromstarzan »

Ok, so I'm just posting a reply in this thread to express my gratitude towards all of you that work on FreeOrion!
It's such an awesome game; open, beautiful, deep and simple at the same time.
Have played Distant Worlds Universe, Stellaris, Master of Orion, Endless Space 2, Star Ruler, Sins of a Solar Empire, etc., etc., but always come back to FreeOrion to find the sweet spot. :mrgreen:

From my perspective (with small kids), it's very nice to be able to come back to a turn of space chess, i.e. FreeOrion, after a couple of days (or even weeks). Fantastic to be able to spread out the universe across multiple monitors, just like I play CMANO. Relaxing and fun with full control (sometimes :lol: ).

Still hope some talanted individual could consider adding a feature suggested here: http://www.freeorion.org/forum/viewtopi ... 10&t=10264

Anyway, this is just to say thank you and keep up the good work. I started to create a printable manual (for myself) but perhaps some day it could be shared within the community.

ledarkmemer
Space Krill

#280 Post by ledarkmemer »

Howdy folks, long time follower, first time poster. Keep up the good work

Bromstarzan
Dyson Forest

#281 Post by Bromstarzan »

Back to check it out again.
Free Orion is such a cool game, very curious about the current build.