Github spam

Talk about anything and everything related or unrelated to the FreeOrion project, especially Strategy Games.

Moderator: Oberlus

MatGB
Creative Contributor

Github spam

#1 Post by MatGB »

Curious, lots of you use github in various places.

I've never received IT recruiter spam before (for the fairly obvious reason that I'm not an IT worker). I've had two in the last month or so, both received within half an hour of my hitting commit on something I've pushed to Github.

Is it just random chance, or are recruiters spamming github users deliberately?
Mat Bowles

Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

adrian_broher
Programmer

Re: Github spam

#2 Post by adrian_broher »

Is it just random chance, or are recruiters spamming github users deliberately?
No, never heard about spam or received any message like that.
Resident code gremlin
Attached patches are released under GPL 2.0 or later.
Git author: Marcel Metz

MatGB
Creative Contributor

#3 Post by MatGB »

Weird, the one from today is
Mat!

It's {REDACTED}, CEO of {REDACTED}.

I hope you don't mind my reaching out to you directly, but we're trying to build the best hiring platform for tech in the world and we now need your help.

We've already built this much (check out our site here) but as we come out of public beta, we want to make sure that our product tracks close to the needs of the community we aim to serve.

Can I ask you to spare 2 minutes this morning to complete our survey What are the most important factors to you when looking for a job as a developer?

Our build priorities are going to be set by the answers you give. We'll release the results to everyone who has completed the survey, most likely published on our blog.

Thanks so much for taking the time to read this. Thank you for your help - I really appreciate it!

Yours,
I've removed the identifiers because it does appear to be an actually genuine company, the previous one was a use our jobsearch app thing.
Mat Bowles

Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

adrian_broher
Programmer

#4 Post by adrian_broher »

MatGB wrote:I've removed the identifiers because it does appear to be an actually genuine company, the previous one was a use our jobsearch app thing.
If you can associate it with a github account (I doubt that there is one) you can report the user for abuse.
Resident code gremlin
Attached patches are released under GPL 2.0 or later.
Git author: Marcel Metz

yandonman
Creative Contributor

#5 Post by yandonman »

Yes, spam into my inbox increased noticeably after signing up with github.
Code released under GPL 2.0. Content released under GPL 2.0 and Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0.