NICE profile icon

Talk about anything and everything related or unrelated to the FreeOrion project, especially Strategy Games.

Moderator: Oberlus

ogre
Space Squid

NICE profile icon

#1 Post by ogre »

Nighthawk wrote:I'd love to get diplomacy working now! You need to start making a bank of things the AI can say to you, too.
NICE profile icon space squid.
FASA FOR LIFE.
thanks for a great game. :)

Starcraft, Syndicate, Populous, Star Control II, Master of Orion, Master of Magic, X-COM UFO Defense, Spacehulk: Vengence of the Blood Angels.

Bigjoe5
Designer and Programmer

Re: AI Alliances

#2 Post by Bigjoe5 »

ogre wrote:NICE profile icon space squid.
FYI, "Space Squid" is his forum rank, not his username. :lol: Also, please don't derail Top Priority Game Design threads like this.
Warning: Antarans in dimensional portal are closer than they appear.

ogre
Space Squid

Re: AI Alliances

#3 Post by ogre »

he has a clan omnimech, saw it with my own eyes... if i was an artificial intelligence i would ally with him out of ph34r.
how is that for topic? :)
he's still a space squid. [for now]

Starcraft, Syndicate, Populous, Star Control II, Master of Orion, Master of Magic, X-COM UFO Defense, Spacehulk: Vengence of the Blood Angels.

ogre
Space Squid

Re: NICE profile icon

#4 Post by ogre »

SPEAKING of clan omnimechs, that madcat has 2 20round LRMs on his shoulders...
in the FO world, we possess energy weapons only
where are our missles?
we have biological weapons
future subversion through projected desolation via the bioterrorism projection base...
nova bombs
i was wondering the other day why we don't have gauss rifles or orbital rail guns
ppc's or various forms of ion accellerators
ATOM SMASHING is fun

...is there any lore behind the death ray?
or is the high energy charged particle projection cannon literally our plasma rifle?

you guys just rebalanced the tech tree with a 2x RP requirement
but it still seems to me that it's a desert.
complexity can cause migraines sure, i know and i appologize for supporting such an ideology
but
it seems to me in a game as big as the universe
imagination is everything, and the end of the game is still too near.
maybe a couple 10000-25000rp universe changing technogies could be sprinked in.
GAME CHANGERS
oh!
something else
we have artificial worm holes [stargates]
why not give every 50 systems a 1% chance to spawn a natural one
certainly only high level scanners could pick them up on star lanes
maybe a put em smack dab in the middle of starlanes
have them 'accidentally' transport a random % of starlane traffic to the other end
it would be a nuisance until they become visible on the map due to sensor advancements
at which point they could become directly selectable
most certainly it would be a desirable system attribute as it gives the camoflauge of folded space folded over the eyes of the sensors ships and planets near to either end

ogre
Space Squid

#5 Post by ogre »

CERTAINLY
having a couple game changing extreme technologies in the 10000-25000rp range would allow the low research species to pick them up from ancient ruins

all things being equal [on the tree ofc]
it's a 1/100[?] chance for the entire galactic policy to realign in lieu of a terrifying discovery.

what did that other thread say about the value of a victory increases as it's certainty decreases?

Dilvish
AI Lead and Programmer Emeritus

#6 Post by Dilvish »

ogre wrote:we have artificial worm holes [stargates] why not give every 50 systems a 1% chance to spawn a natural one
There are many things discussed & partly planned in the forums, awating further development/implementation, & this is one of them. The necessary underlying code structure for travel path planning is essentially all there. The UI representation and visibility/discovery rules are partly sketched out, as I recall, & one of these days will be followed up on, I'm sure. There are a great many such items wanting attention.
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0

ogre
Space Squid

#7 Post by ogre »

my girlfriend just told me "you just go on and on and on..."
but i refuse to curb my enthusiasm, great game guys... much promise.

an interesting way to re-examine the racial bonuses could be to...
and don't lop my head of please it's just a different spin or color on your highly charged photons already beaming across fibre around the world...
...to look at them instead of direct bonuses on things such as industry, population or research
would be to set the egassem say at a 400% rp bonus to industry research
and the gysache a 125% bonus to growth research and a 200% bonus to industry tech but -50% to defense technologies
things like this would allow races like the eaxaw to receive a much more useful bonus such as 200% to ship or weapons technologies

some races could even specialize in technologies possessing the 'theory' tag... specifically the non-player-selectable ones that refuse to leave their home world... the dreamer species you guys have yet to release upon us poor denizins of your ruthless construction.

my whole point was, it may make it easier to put each race on a much more equal and balanced footing.

:)
Dilvish wrote:
ogre wrote:we have artificial worm holes [stargates] why not give every 50 systems a 1% chance to spawn a natural one
There are many things discussed & partly planned in the forums, awating further development/implementation, & this is one of them. The necessary underlying code structure for travel path planning is essentially all there. The UI representation and visibility/discovery rules are partly sketched out, as I recall, & one of these days will be followed up on, I'm sure. There are a great many such items wanting attention.
as to this, one of the things on my table is getting everything compiled on my computer via msysgit/mingw's svn on win32
all of my forum 'pollution' just serves to say thanks... thanks for being open source, thanks for listening, thanks for responding, thanks for your imagination - dedicatiom - and fervor... and last but not least -- thanks for being here at all.