What ist the reason for all this ****?

Talk about anything and everything related or unrelated to the FreeOrion project, especially Strategy Games.

Moderator: Oberlus

JUDGE
Space Krill

What ist the reason for all this ****?

#1 Post by JUDGE »

I hope my English is good enough for you to understand me. And I hope it's OK to start such a discussion here.

OK my problem ist, I played MoO 2 for a long timespan and I really liked it. But then it was booring because I knew all the stuff in the game. Now the game ist NINE YEARS old! This is so much time in the "computer-world", isn't it? How can it be that there is no worthy successor??? Are there no people who would by such a game? I thought the fans were not many, but there are still some! And what is the reason for so many different fan-projects??? This projects have financial and personnel problems, because there are not enough people helping them! And if there are many projects then the people are more divided and the project's problems are getting more and more! Why not making ONE really big project??? Especially regarding the fact that fan-games can't reach the level of "real games". That sucks. :(

leiavoia
Space Kraken

#2 Post by leiavoia »

Why not making ONE really big project???
"Because my project is better than your project."

That really is the bottom line.

Gusset
Space Krill

Re: What ist the reason for all this ****?

#3 Post by Gusset »

JUDGE wrote:I played MoO 2 for a long timespan and I really liked it. But then it was booring because I knew all the stuff in the game. Now the game ist NINE YEARS old!
Well, perhaps while you wait for whatever is the next worthy project to be released, you might want to try playing MOO2 against human opponents on Kali. Please believe me when I say that it will be like playing a whole new game, so you might find that the "booring" part will go away. There's an active community there, and you can play using the free serial number. It takes a few minutes to get MOO2 set up for stable play, but remember this is a 9 year old game. http://www.kali.net

It really is a whole new game in multiplayer, because tactics, ship designs, and strategies that work against the AI generally fail miserably against human opponents. There are plenty of people to play with, mainly from Europe and the US, and there's usually someone around who can help you get settings figured out for optimal online play on any OS except Win2K. As long as your connection is stable, it works fine even on dial-up.

I played MOO2 on Kali for years, waiting for MOO3, then stopped while I played MOO3 for a couple of months. Now I'm back to MOO2 while I wait for FreeOrion. :)

-Gusset

JUDGE
Space Krill

#4 Post by JUDGE »

@leiavoia
That's annoying. :(

@Gusset
Thanks for the advice. I think I will try Kali. But remembering the HotSeat-Sessions with my friends, I'm asking myself how the problem is managed that it takes so long to play it? But maybe I can find some help in some forums too. Anyway, may a new MoO arise, better than anything ever imagined! :D

Pasi
Space Squid

#5 Post by Pasi »

leiavoia wrote:
Why not making ONE really big project???
"Because my project is better than your project."

That really is the bottom line.
So true... also with more people, there would sooner or later be people who didn't get things their way == much fighting and angry people :roll:
I'm not a programmer... but I play one at Microsoft!

Gusset
Space Krill

#6 Post by Gusset »

But remembering the HotSeat-Sessions with my friends, I'm asking myself how the problem is managed that it takes so long to play it?
I might not understand what you mean, but here are 2 thoughts:

1- in a HotSeat game, you and your opponents literally must wait your turn to enter your moves...1 computer is splitting time between all of you. With online and/or network games, you and your opponents can enter your moves simultaneously. With this, you only have to wait when your opponents finish their turn more slowly than you do, or if someone is involved in combat (you must wait at the between-turn chat area while they do their fighting).

2- Even though it is likely much faster than hotseat, multiplayer MOO2 still does take quite some time to play a game. Usually games last anywhere from 3-10 hours, depending on the number of players and the game setup (e.g. larger galaxy size means longer game). If you are playing with just one other human, it is not quite so bad, because it is pretty easy to save the game and meet later to resume it. With more players, though, saving the game and then finding a time for everyone to meet gets difficult sometimes.

-Gusset