Project 1oom - Master of Orion 1 reverse engineered

Talk about anything and everything related or unrelated to the FreeOrion project, especially Strategy Games.

Moderator: Oberlus

ledarkmemer
Space Krill

Project 1oom - Master of Orion 1 reverse engineered

#1 Post by ledarkmemer »

Hi there folks,

I would like to inform you all there's a new project in the making to create SDL-based GPLv2 engine re-implementation (based on C) of the original MoO. It is called project 1oom, and the good news is that the engine is already feature complete, making the game fully playable!

You may find more info and download the latest builds here:

Homepage
Git

Right now the project is in need of people to playtest the hell out of it. The developer also does all of his work from Gentoo, so anyone willing to provide windows and linux packages (preferably Snap) would be of great help!

Dilvish
AI Lead and Programmer Emeritus

Re: Project 1oom - Master of Orion 1 reverse engineered

#2 Post by Dilvish »

Hmm, so you are relying on their LBX files, which provide a lot (all?) of the actual game content? I suppose that's why on the single screenshot posted, your software is describing itself as being presented by the original developers/producers Microprose and Simtex?

Details like that in conjunction with your current descriptions of this as a "clone" will likely make this look a lot more like a copyright violation than any legit reverse engineering to the current owners of the IP, who have an ongoing commercial interest in the product, such as via Steam.

When they send a DMCA takedown notice to Github, I suspect there is currently a pretty big chance Github would just jump directly to the disable all access step.

But the reliance on their LBX files might also be a path to salvation for you. If you can fairly characterize your code as something like an execution/display harness to allow people to run their licensed original copies of the program on modern platforms, (and update all of your descriptions to emphasize this point of view) then you might have a chance to survive the takedown notice.
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0

ledarkmemer
Space Krill

#3 Post by ledarkmemer »

First of all, this is not my project. I'm simply trying to give a hand with PR to the guy behind it.

Second, engine reimplementations are not clones, but as long as the original game files are not provided and still require an original copy, creating an engine husk that simply makes them work has absolutely nothing illegal about it, since it distributes no copyrighted content whatsoever and can be repurposed easily to work with uncopyrighted one. There are, in fact, hundreds of engine reimplementations available for free, SCUMMVM and Chocolate Doom being popular ones, for example, that work pretty much in the exact same way as 1oom.

Dilvish
AI Lead and Programmer Emeritus

#4 Post by Dilvish »

ledarkmemer wrote:Second, engine reimplementations are not clones
https://github.com/KilgoreTroutMaskReplicant/1oom description wrote:1oom is a clone of the classic DOS game "Master of Orion" (MicroProse, 1993)
That and similar statements peppered throughout the docs, especially in conjunction with the only screenshot saying that the game is being presented by Microprose, makes the project look more problematic and are why I was suggesting that the description/documentation be changed.
...creating an engine husk that simply makes them work has absolutely nothing illegal about it, since it distributes no copyrighted content whatsoever and can be repurposed easily to work with uncopyrighted one. There are, in fact, hundreds of engine reimplementations available for free, SCUMMVM and Chocolate Doom being popular ones
I'm not familiar with SCUMMVM, and Doom is a special case since it's engine source code was published under the GPL in the late 90s. Also, the issue is not so simple as just whether or not one is distributing copyrighted content. But like I said, there are arguments that can be made along the lines you mention; it just helps to consistently describe the project in the most defensible fashion.

If it's not your project at all then I guess it's not your problem. But since you have an interest you might want to submit a PR to it to help them present things better.
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0

ledarkmemer
Space Krill

#5 Post by ledarkmemer »

Dilvish wrote:That and similar statements peppered throughout the docs, especially in conjunction with the only screenshot saying that the game is being presented by Microprose, makes the project look more problematic and are why I was suggesting that the description/documentation be changed.
Thanks for the note. Mind that the first alpha was only released days ago and not all documentation is in place yet. As for the nomenclature itself, I prefer to use the term engine re-implementation, but other developers favor for instance "engine clone" or "engine rebuild". Calling it simply a clone is not entirely incorrect either though, since the package itself does not provide the original game files and could have free artwork fitted into it.
Dilvish wrote:I'm not familiar with SCUMMVM, and Doom is a special case since it's engine source code was published under the GPL in the late 90s. Also, the issue is not so simple as just whether or not one is distributing copyrighted content. But like I said, there are arguments that can be made along the lines you mention; it just helps to consistently describe the project in the most defensible fashion.
This project is no different from such other projects as SCUMMVM, OpenXcom, OpenMW, OpenRA, Wargus, to cite a few. To make things clear 1oom is an engine re-implementation for running an old game in modern systems more smoothly. It requires the original game files that can be purchased legally on GoG. There is nothing illegal about making an engine to run proprietary game files as long as you do not distribute those copyrighted game files yourself. While arguments can certainly be made against it, it is commonplace for them not to pose a legal issue, much like emulators.
Dilvish wrote:If it's not your project at all then I guess it's not your problem. But since you have an interest you might want to submit a PR to it to help them present things better.
Will do, but hey, since you're also interested in it, why not submit a ticket on github and have a look at the code?

Kilgore Replicant
Space Krill

#6 Post by Kilgore Replicant »

Heh, how did this get here? When I tried to announce the project, I was met with:
The Management wrote:You are receiving this notification because your topic "Reversing to Orion - project 1oom" at "FreeOrion" was disapproved by a moderator or administrator.

The following reason was given for the disapproval:

The message contains links to illegal or pirated software.
... which is understandable given the shaky legal ground 1oom treads upon.
Dilvish wrote:Hmm, so you are relying on their LBX files, which provide a lot (all?) of the actual game content?
All except the shorter strings ("Next turn", "The colony has been destroyed!" etc) and smaller data tables.
Dilvish wrote:I suppose that's why on the single screenshot posted, your software is describing itself as being presented by the original developers/producers Microprose and Simtex?
There are three screenshots. The one you mention is the third.

Remember the MOO1 intro sequence? The screenshot contains a textual interpretation of that for the command line UI. Now that you point it out, it does seem to misrepresent the origin. I'll remove it and change the screenshot.
Dilvish wrote:Details like that in conjunction with your current descriptions of this as a "clone" will likely make this look a lot more like a copyright violation than any legit reverse engineering to the current owners of the IP, who have an ongoing commercial interest in the product, such as via Steam.
"Clone" may be a poorly chosen description. It is a clone of the engine in the sense that it works as replacement for the original EXEs. Got any better word in mind?
Dilvish wrote:When they send a DMCA takedown notice to Github, I suspect there is currently a pretty big chance Github would just jump directly to the disable all access step.
I agree. In case that happens, I will continue the project via other avenues. The first announcement had a tinyupload link to a tarball.
Dilvish wrote:But the reliance on their LBX files might also be a path to salvation for you. If you can fairly characterize your code as something like an execution/display harness to allow people to run their licensed original copies of the program on modern platforms, (and update all of your descriptions to emphasize this point of view) then you might have a chance to survive the takedown notice.
Updated descriptions would be most welcome. I am neither a native speaker nor USA citizen so generating quasi-legalese for copyright strike avoidance is not a skill I'm well versed in.

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#7 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Kilgore Replicant wrote:"Clone" may be a poorly chosen description. It is a clone of the engine in the sense that it works as replacement for the original EXEs. Got any better word in mind?
"Game Engine Recreation" seems to be the established term.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_g ... ecreations

Kilgore Replicant
Space Krill

#8 Post by Kilgore Replicant »

Geoff the Medio wrote:
Kilgore Replicant wrote:"Clone" may be a poorly chosen description. It is a clone of the engine in the sense that it works as replacement for the original EXEs. Got any better word in mind?
"Game Engine Recreation" seems to be the established term.
Changed all mentions of clone to that. Also replaced names of dead companies with "dead companies" in the text intro and screenshot. Thanks for the suggestions!