What I Did for my Vacation

Talk about anything and everything related or unrelated to the FreeOrion project, especially Strategy Games.

Moderator: Oberlus

labgnome
Juggernaut

What I Did for my Vacation

#1 Post by labgnome »

So I took some vacation time from work recently.

During this time I decided to work on a worldbuilding/roleplaying project I've been involved in with a friend. I got involved when he asked me (as the guy who does the maths) to help him out in creating a physically/mathematically consistent "flat earth" for this world. Aside from being a flat disk the world consists of a central disc surround by six consecutive counter-rotating sections of decreasing width. Each section has a distinctive climate and biome. All of this for a campaign setting involving D&D 5th edition.

Part of the world was around upending convention ideas about the roles of the stock D&D races. Halflings and Gnomes have been highly important and influential, as opposed to "background" players. This is to the point that there are many parts of this world where the taller races are considered "handycapped". Elves eschew arcane magic for religious reasons. Humans and Dwarves actually have dedicated institutions for studying and developing arcane magic. The typically "stateless" half-elves also have two nations that claim them. Tieflings are not so much "demonic" as social pariahs, and believe themselves to originate from the "underside" of the world.

One of the most colorful additions to emerge is playable half-orcs come from the outermost ring, which due to its extreme climate forces them into a nomadic existence, and because of it's shape and much less-noticeable curvature, they believe their world to not be a flat disk (or ring), but an unending straight line.

So far this world has 116 countries and colonies of note and 45 major religions and sects. Because the counter-rotating sections also move at different speeds, there are also six different calendars in this world as well.
All of my contributions should be considered released under creative commons attribution share-alike license, CC-BY-SA 3.0 for use in, by and with the Free Orion project.

AndrewW
Juggernaut

Re: What I Did for my Vacation

#2 Post by AndrewW »

labgnome wrote:Tieflings are not so much "demonic" as social pariahs, and believe themselves to originate from the "underside" of the world.
Walking upside down? Or more like the Underdark or Hollow World?

labgnome
Juggernaut

Re: What I Did for my Vacation

#3 Post by labgnome »

AndrewW wrote:Walking upside down? Or more like the Underdark or Hollow World?
More of the "walking upside down".
All of my contributions should be considered released under creative commons attribution share-alike license, CC-BY-SA 3.0 for use in, by and with the Free Orion project.