One thing

Describe your experience with the latest version of FreeOrion to help us improve it.

Moderator: Oberlus

Forum rules
Always mention the exact version of FreeOrion you are testing.

When reporting an issue regarding the AI, if possible provide the relevant AI log file and a save game file that demonstrates the issue.
xlightwavex
Space Kraken

One thing

#1 Post by xlightwavex »

build 11-22 dd23058

When ever i click the production tab.
The current researched tech window pops open.
This display whats being researched as well.
Its not so much that i cant close it !
It auto opens when i don't want to see it, usually after i just specifically closed it.
This is like if i clicked research and a extra side window for production poped open.
In this case if i just did research then close it to goto the starmap, then click production dohhh.

Its not only a extra window open that clutters the screen, which is out of place.
Its like the larry mo currly version of it.

Although it maybe a minor thing, its annoying.
Id love to not have that pop up when i click production or actually auto close it.
I can always click back to the research tab, were it should auto open.

Once you note it specifically, it becomes a constantly noticed annoying distraction.

Btw...
a starmap button that closes all the windows but the starmap and planets quickly would be nice.
Im actually feeling that the tab for objects empires should be between designs and graphs.
so that it goes ... messeges, sitrep, research, production, design, empire, objects, graphs, ect...
were later empire will prolly be all your diplomacy spying ploting stuff.

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

Re: One thing

#2 Post by Geoff the Medio »

xlightwavex wrote:a starmap button that closes all the windows but the starmap and planets quickly would be nice.
Pressing Esc repeatedly will close most windows (except for a few that were overlooked). It doesn't close the planets sidepanel last, though.

MatGB
Creative Contributor

#3 Post by MatGB »

I think what you're seeing is the Pedia pane, which will always display whatever the Pedia last displayed until you tell it you want to look at something else.

So if you're looking at the research screen and read the details of a tech, then go to production, the ProdWnd Pedia panel will still show that tech. If you'd been looking up the details of a special, a graph or a suitability report it would show that instead. Click something buildable or building and it should change.

If it's not this and something else, we need a screenshot as your description isn't clear on what it is you're looking at and it may indeed be a bug.
Mat Bowles

Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Kassiopeija
Dyson Forest

#4 Post by Kassiopeija »

a real gamer doesn't click!!!!!

(hoho is this the blizzard forums XD)

just a tip
hotkey research window, production panel, ship builder etc... to a,s,d... or y,x,c whatever you like, this really speeds up the pace of the game.

if you open a window and want it closed just press that button twice, and if you know where next to go just press that, the good thing is that most windows are auto-closed.

the only thing I harp about is that (second) pedia window, that cannot be closed, but I shrink that to minimal size anyway....

xlightwavex
Space Kraken

#5 Post by xlightwavex »

Ya the pedia window.
Its really annoying to have it reopen to show research stuff in the production menu.
you cant close it.

Speaking of blizzard i was thinkin about getting sc2 legacy of the void
Anyways in my sc1 days, i would hit 350apm+ when i was busy and still click lol.
I much prefer the clicking.

Ruldra
Krill Swarm

#6 Post by Ruldra »

Since this thread is about mentioning 'one thing', just wanted to point out that the Asteroid Reformation Processor entry in the Pedia doesn't mention that you can build Heavy Asteroid Hulls with it. And the Heavy Asteroid Hull entry also doesn't mention that a Reformation Processor is needed for it.

Not something worthy of starting a thread over, so I'm posting it here.

MatGB
Creative Contributor

#7 Post by MatGB »

Ruldra wrote:Since this thread is about mentioning 'one thing', just wanted to point out that the Asteroid Reformation Processor entry in the Pedia doesn't mention that you can build Heavy Asteroid Hulls with it. And the Heavy Asteroid Hull entry also doesn't mention that a Reformation Processor is needed for it.

Um, what version are you playing with? Because I just went to fix this and my version (compiled from Trunk yesterday) doesn't have that restriction on the Heavy Asteroid Hull. Are you maybe thinking of a different hull?
Mat Bowles

Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

MatGB
Creative Contributor

#8 Post by MatGB »

xlightwavex wrote:Ya the pedia window.
Its really annoying to have it reopen to show research stuff in the production menu.
you cant close it.
You don't want to close it, or at least I don't see how you can play with it closed, it's the panel that tells you what all the things you can build actually do, including listing the ship parts for your designs, etc.

Having said that, I don't like where it appears, I have my screens arranged like this:
ProdWnd.png
ProdWnd.png (310.96 KiB) Viewed 1481 times
that works very well for me as the Pedia is down right by the selection box so I can see and read both at once and I get a lot more screen estate at the top and can work through sitrep from the prodwnd (it was doing this that prompted me to ask for a few recent changes like selecting a planet when clicked from the sitrep, etc.
Mat Bowles

Ruldra
Krill Swarm

#9 Post by Ruldra »

MatGB wrote:
Ruldra wrote:Since this thread is about mentioning 'one thing', just wanted to point out that the Asteroid Reformation Processor entry in the Pedia doesn't mention that you can build Heavy Asteroid Hulls with it. And the Heavy Asteroid Hull entry also doesn't mention that a Reformation Processor is needed for it.

Um, what version are you playing with? Because I just went to fix this and my version (compiled from Trunk yesterday) doesn't have that restriction on the Heavy Asteroid Hull. Are you maybe thinking of a different hull?
The release version 0.4.5.. If the Reformation Processor is no longer a requirement then never mind.

EDIT: Ugh sorry, I'm the one in the wrong here. Turns out I added Rock Armor to my Heavy Asteroid design and that's why I couldn't build it without the Reformation Processor. Sorry about that.

MatGB
Creative Contributor

#10 Post by MatGB »

Ah, that makes sense, yes, that would make a difference—and I'm not sure it should be that restrictive myself, at some point I'll do another balance pass but currently Roks are still slightly overpowered so don't want to make them better. ;-)

But, if you do find stringtable errors, even minor ones, either posting them or simply making a pull request on GitHub is very much appreciated, if it's a simple fix I can sometimes get it done while I read the thread.
Mat Bowles