Early-game monsters with Precursor Armor

Describe your experience with the latest version of FreeOrion to help us improve it.

Moderator: Oberlus

Forum rules
Always mention the exact version of FreeOrion you are testing.

When reporting an issue regarding the AI, if possible provide the relevant AI log file and a save game file that demonstrates the issue.
Ruldra
Krill Swarm

Early-game monsters with Precursor Armor

#1 Post by Ruldra »

Hello there, started playing FreeOrion recently and I'm enjoying it quite a bit. There's something I'd like to ask though.

I started one game today (ver 0.4.5) and ran into this scenario: http://i.imgur.com/TPbVcug.png

The only way out of this corner of the map is blocked by 2 monsters equipped with Plasma Cannon 4 and a grand total of 1600 structure points. Game over right there.

Screencapped that and started another game. Now I ran into this: http://i.imgur.com/OmOXOCp.png

Aside from the monster at Nidor B, all the others are Maintenance Ships with Precursor Armor. I don't mind random monsters but that armor makes it impossible to kill them until way into the mid-late game. Right now they're essentially huge roadblocks.

Is this intentional? Because they ruin the early-game phase. I'd suggest for these particular monsters to not appear until much later, when you can realistically deal with them.

Monster frequency is set to low, by the way.

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

Re: Early-game monsters with Precursor Armor

#2 Post by Vezzra »

Ruldra wrote:I started one game today (ver 0.4.5) and ran into this scenario: http://i.imgur.com/TPbVcug.png

The only way out of this corner of the map is blocked by 2 monsters equipped with Plasma Cannon 4 and a grand total of 1600 structure points. Game over right there.
Ouch, that's really bad luck indeed. Unfortunately we have no code in place yet that prevents such things, but that's certainly something we need to address at some point.
Aside from the monster at Nidor B, all the others are Maintenance Ships with Precursor Armor. I don't mind random monsters but that armor makes it impossible to kill them until way into the mid-late game. Right now they're essentially huge roadblocks.
Actually, you can get past Maintenance Ships quite easily, as they only block you for a turn. Your ships just need to be sturdy enough to survive this one turn of combat against the Maintenance Ship, which is possible even with early game ships given the extremely low firepower of the Maintenance Ship. They are more of an annoyance than an actual threat. An annoyance that you can't get rid of easily because of their high structure, which is, to answer your question, intentional.
I'd suggest for these particular monsters to not appear until much later, when you can realistically deal with them.
Maintenance Ships, Sentries and Sentinels are placed during universe generation, so they can't appear later, they are in place right from the start of the game. And the purpose of those nasty Sentinels (which are the ones from your first example, far more dangerous than the Sentinels and the Maintenance Ships) is to make it hard for you to get to the thing they are guarding (which are the more powerful specials like Ancient Ruins, Gaia, etc.), so that's definitely intenional too.
Monster frequency is set to low, by the way.
The guardian type monsters (Sentry, Maintenance Ship, Sentinel) aren't affected by this setting, unless you set it to "None" (which turns off space monsters completely). The monster frequency setting applies only to the non-guardian (mostly roaming) monsters (Kraken, Juggernauts, Snowflakes, etc.).

Ruldra
Krill Swarm

#3 Post by Ruldra »

Thanks for the clarification. I guess in the end I just got unlucky with the way the guardians spawned.

MatGB
Creative Contributor

#4 Post by MatGB »

Yeah, set Specials to Low (or None) and you get less/no guardians, they are tough, intentionally, but actually not that hard to deal with if you've got the right ship types.
Mat Bowles

Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.