Feedback 0.4.5 1st pre-release

Describe your experience with the latest version of FreeOrion to help us improve it.

Moderator: Oberlus

Forum rules
Always mention the exact version of FreeOrion you are testing.

When reporting an issue regarding the AI, if possible provide the relevant AI log file and a save game file that demonstrates the issue.
mel_o
Space Floater

Re: Feedback 0.4.5 1st pre-release

#16 Post by mel_o »

Ouaz wrote:1- Launch FO with no config file existing.
2- FO is displayed in windowed mode 1024x768
3- Maximize the window to use the user's desktop resolution (without going in full screen mode) produces the side panel overlapping (screenshot in OP)
4- Switch to full screen mode (ALT+ENTER) fixes the overlapping (but the sidepanel position stays like in 1024x768, i.e. it doesn't go in the right side of the screen and stays in the middle, and in Production screen, everything is sized/positionned like in 1024x768)
I can't get this to reproduce the side panel overlapping with the toolbar on 4090454. The only way I can think of making it happen is if you resize the side panel to be tall, then make the window shorter than the side panel (it'll move itself up to keep itself inside the window).
Unless stated otherwise, code and scripts provided by me are released under GNU GPL 2.0 (or later) and other content is released under CC BY-SA 3.0.

Ouaz
Dyson Forest

#17 Post by Ouaz »

mel_o wrote: I can't get this to reproduce the side panel overlapping with the toolbar on 4090454. The only way I can think of making it happen is if you resize the side panel to be tall, then make the window shorter than the side panel (it'll move itself up to keep itself inside the window).
Well, that's weird, just reproduced it right now (start FO with no config file > maximize the title screen (full windowed mode) > Quick start > sidepanel overlapping).

If it happens only to me, that's a good news then.^^
Geoff the Medio wrote:I could also be wrong, but I don't remember queue ever being resizable just by dragging...

It did change size depending on the main window size at startup.
Well, that's weird too! I can swear that I remember seeing the item grey box resized by dragging the whole panel (and thinking" Oh, if it can be resized, it's ok then").

Maybe it was on a very old build?

On the other side, the funny thing is that I didn't remember the ship design list on the Research window (left panel) was resizable. I remember to struggle in order that the french names don't be cut off. And two or three builds ago, kind of magic, the panel can be resized. ^^
I release every updated file under the CC-BY-SA 3.0 license.

biza
Space Squid

#18 Post by biza »

Initial sitrep is showing all possible colonies as unlocked and now can be produced, but you have only starting race and should show only that one.

Cheers!
Attachments
Screenshot 2015-08-02 19.07.41.png
Screenshot 2015-08-02 19.07.41.png (94.03 KiB) Viewed 900 times

Dilvish
AI Lead and Programmer Emeritus

#19 Post by Dilvish »

biza wrote:Initial sitrep is showing all possible colonies as unlocked and now can be produced, but you have only starting race and should show only that one.
No, we're not about to start tying the actual unlocking of the colony buildings to what species you currently have in your empire, and it is useful for the player to know that they have the buildings unlocked even if they don't have that species yet.

However, if part of your concern is just that there are a great many entries on the SitRep page that greets the player, that is already being addressed (as is discussed in another feedback thread already). All those unlockings will still appear on the "Initial Turn" SitRep page, but after it will be the SitRep page for Turn 1, which currently will be the two Welcome type SitReps, and it is Turn 1 that the SitRep panel will start off at.
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0

biza
Space Squid

#20 Post by biza »

Thats ok, then maybe to change message to something like "... Colony has been unlocked and can be produced when specie is available". Current message may suggest to new player that all species colony are available to build from start?

Dilvish

#21 Post by Dilvish »

biza wrote:Thats ok, then maybe to change message to something like "... Colony has been unlocked and can be produced when specie is available". Current message may suggest to new player that all species colony are available to build from start?
The unlocking messages are generic, not specific to each individual building, so what you're proposing would require a fair bit of work, for what seems like very little benefit to me.

Anytime a new player gets almost any building unlocking message they could make that same general kind of mistake; they'll have to learn to read about what the building location requirements are.
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0

MatGB
Creative Contributor

#22 Post by MatGB »

But, they now don't appear at game start, you'd have to hit back on the sitreps to see all the messages, I think it was a valid concern (there were too many colony buildings listed), but it's already been fixed, so we're good I think.

Of course, if there were some way of having species specific colony buildings unlock when you conquer that species for the first time that'd be nifty, as it'd prompt players, but you could just as easily do that witha custom sitrep.
Mat Bowles

Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Dilvish

#23 Post by Dilvish »

MatGB wrote:Of course, if there were some way of having species specific colony buildings unlock when you conquer that species for the first time that'd be nifty, as it'd prompt players, but you could just as easily do that witha custom sitrep.
The unlocking mechanism would automatically take care of ensuring the message only fires once, without need to dismiss it etc. Especially with the new parameterized macros it would not be terribly difficult, nor horribly messy to add to one of the starting techs. But I'm doubtful it's really worth the bother.

biza
Space Squid

#24 Post by biza »

No problem, i didn't realise it require so much work, it is not such big deal, just i notice it and reported.

Thank you for replies.