Multiplayer Co-Habitation

Describe your experience with the latest version of FreeOrion to help us improve it.

Moderator: Oberlus

Forum rules
Always mention the exact version of FreeOrion you are testing.

When reporting an issue regarding the AI, if possible provide the relevant AI log file and a save game file that demonstrates the issue.
Revlot
Space Floater

Multiplayer Co-Habitation

#1 Post by Revlot »

It would be nice to have an option of starting in the same system but on a different class planet as the other human player. We play truly cooperatively and think that it might be fun to each have opposite environments so that we can both fully colonize each system quickly. It would allow our fleets to start out supporting each other for defense so we could concentrate more on development. An added bonus of being able to trade tech would allow us to maximize our advancement against the AI's.
I understand that this is a work in progress and that my comments here are just comments and NOT requests for immediate code fixes.
Thank you for the work done so far - please continue with whatever part of the game you are currently working on.

Dilvish
AI Lead and Programmer Emeritus

Re: Multiplayer Co-Habitation

#2 Post by Dilvish »

Let me start with the easiest/clearest response:
Revlot wrote:An added bonus of being able to trade tech would allow us to maximize our advancement against the AI's.
Diplomatic support for being able to trade techs is planned at some point, but I don't think any of the devs have it on their short-term to-do list.
It would be nice to have an option of starting in the same system but on a different class planet as the other human player. We play truly cooperatively and think that it might be fun to each have opposite environments so that we can both fully colonize each system quickly. It would allow our fleets to start out supporting each other for defense so we could concentrate more on development.
This is a rather special purpose request. It would be fairly easy to implement, but I personally don't want to get into taking on such personal coding requests. These particular constraints are handled in the python universe generation code. Python is a very easy language to learn-- just a couple years ago my wife, who is non-technical and far less computer-savvy than you, took it as a college class and did just fine. Here is one of many free online classes: http://www.codecademy.com/tracks/python . They estimate 13 hours to complete their beginning course, and I'm expect you'd be able to mange your request just a few hours into their class. If you finish at least up through their "LISTS AND FUNCTIONS" section and then have trouble taking on the changes you describe above, I'd be glad to help you past your hurdles. I think you would find the skills very rewarding, beyond just the increased ability to mod FO.
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0