Debian Git snapshot of FreeOrion now available

Describe your experience with the latest version of FreeOrion to help us improve it.

Moderator: Oberlus

Forum rules
Always mention the exact version of FreeOrion you are testing.

When reporting an issue regarding the AI, if possible provide the relevant AI log file and a save game file that demonstrates the issue.
Apo
Space Squid

Debian Git snapshot of FreeOrion now available

#1 Post by Apo »

I have uploaded a Git snapshot of FreeOrion to Debian's "experimental" branch which I have to use due to the current development freeze of the distribution. It can be downloaded the usual way by adding

Code: Select all

deb http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian experimental main
to /etc/apt/sources.list and by performing

apt-get update && apt-get install freeorion -t experimental
I also rebuilt the same sources for Ubuntu 15.04 aka Vivid Vervet and you can download them from the inofficial FreeOrion PPA
Of course you can still play the official 0.4.4 version.

I like what has changed especially the game feels more responsive now, probably due to the change to SDL2. Fullscreen mode works great and finally OIS is gone :D

godel
Space Dragon

Re: Debian Git snapshot of FreeOrion now available

#2 Post by godel »

I think I did that.
I am using Mint flavor of Ubuntu, some ubuntu instructions fail.
I tried this.
That sources.list was empty before I added that line in.

And when I went to complete the update, I got a long list of successful stuff but ended like this:

universe Translation-en_US
Fetched 379 kB in 4s (76.5 kB/s)
Reading package lists... Done
W: GPG error: http://ftp.de.debian.org experimental InRelease: The following signatures couldn't be verified because the public key is not available: NO_PUBKEY 8B48AD6246925553
W: Ignoring Provides line with DepCompareOp for package php-psr-log-implementation
E: Could not open lock file /var/lib/dpkg/lock - open (13: Permission denied)
E: Unable to lock the administration directory (/var/lib/dpkg/), are you root?

I am hoping for a binary that I can download, as I am not so experienced in Linux.
I was doing this as sudo, but not at root. Should I have been sudo su?

Update: It worked as sudo su.
All is well.

Apo
Space Squid

#3 Post by Apo »

Hi,

I think mixing different distributions (Mint Ubuntu with pure Debian) is not a good idea. Although Mint and Ubuntu are derived from Debian and most of the packages are identical, they might be compiled for different versions. This all can lead to obvious dependency problems or subtle programming errors.

In short, I always recommend to use the version of FreeOrion provided by your distribution which is safe and easy for newcomers.

sudo apt-get install freeorion
is all what you need.

However if you want to get your feet wet, then try Building from source the Debian way

sudo apt-get install build-essential
dget -x http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian/pool/main/f/freeorion/freeorion_0.4.4+git20150327-1.dsc
cd freeorion-*

sudo apt-get install cmake debhelper dpkg-dev libalut-dev libboost-all-dev libfreetype6-dev libgl1-mesa-dev libglew-dev libglu1-mesa-dev libjpeg-dev libogg-dev libopenal-dev libpng-dev libsdl2-dev libtiff-dev libvorbis-dev pkg-config python

debuild -us -uc
First you need to install all essential build tools and then you fetch the sources with dget -x. After that change to the freeorion source directory. Install all build-dependencies and finally build the game with debuild -us -uc.

Building FreeOrion will take between 15-90+ minutes depending on your hardware. When the build is finished you will find two *.deb packages of FreeOrion which you can install with

sudo dpkg -i *.deb
The installation will fail with some error messages because you haven't installed the dependencies yet but dpkg will tell you which are missing. Install those first and then try again.

That's it. (hopefully)

adrian_broher
Programmer

#4 Post by adrian_broher »

Hello Apo,

good to see that you're still up to the task of being the debian maintainer of FreeOrion, despite all the obstacles we put in your way.

Just a word of warning: We are still fighting with the repository to get it into proper shape. Maybe it's not a good idea to provide a snapshot based on a temporary git repository in case you need some upstream tracking for the packaging.

For further informations:
viewtopic.php?p=75886&f=12#p75886
In detail:
viewtopic.php?p=75892#p75892
Resident code gremlin
Attached patches are released under GPL 2.0 or later.
Git author: Marcel Metz

Apo
Space Squid

#5 Post by Apo »

Hello,

yes, I still maintain FreeOrion for Debian and I regularly stop by to see what's going on here. :) Dilvish asked me to provide a snapshot release, so I put it in Debian experimental for the time being. As soon as 0.4.5 is released, I will update the information about FreeOrion's git repository whereby I assume that the basic URL https://github.com/freeorion/freeorion will remain.

If you really want to make it easy for maintainers, I suggest to continue tagging your stable releases as is, then it's quite easy to download the corresponding tarball from github. https://github.com/freeorion/freeorion/releases

Just make sure that no non-free stuff, binary blobs or unnecessary, non-source cruft exists in those tarballs. This would very much simplify downloading and tracking new releases. Bonus points for xz compressed tarballs. :)

Cheers

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#6 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Apo wrote:Just make sure that no non-free stuff, binary blobs or unnecessary, non-source cruft exists in those tarballs.
What about art and sound files that are kept in the repository, non-source content text files, etc? There's lots of non-source stuff in the repository, but I'm not sure why you'd want to remove much of it. All of the repository is released under suitably "free" licenses, though.

Apo
Space Squid

#7 Post by Apo »

Geoff the Medio wrote:What about art and sound files that are kept in the repository, non-source content text files, etc? There's lots of non-source stuff in the repository, but I'm not sure why you'd want to remove much of it. All of the repository is released under suitably "free" licenses, though.
Ah, sorry that's a misunderstanding. I was referring to e.g. Windows *.dll files, MacOS specific binary files, prebuilt files like Python's *.pyc files and so on. I was also only referring to releases and the official tarballs that are provided through the GitHub platform (the tagged releases). You have already clarified that all artwork is in a state that you would call "the preferred form for modifications" viewtopic.php?f=10&t=7440. So putting all your artwork in this tarball is fine.

When I talk about source I always mean "the preferred form of modification", the format developers and users would want to use when they intend to make modifications.

In the past the official linux tarball at sourceforge also contained binary executables which made it difficult to distribute it for Linux distributions. Now that FreeOrion moved to github and you provide releases/snapshots based on your Git repository, this problem seems to be gone. Please continue to provide such source tarballs in the future because it saves a lot of time for maintainers. That's all. :)

Magnate
Space Dragon

#8 Post by Magnate »

Apo, just a quick post to say thanks for your packaging work - much appreciated. As a novice DM myself, and big fan of freeorion, I'm learning a lot.

CC

Apo
Space Squid

#9 Post by Apo »

Thank you. You're welcome. :)