New player feedback.

Describe your experience with the latest version of FreeOrion to help us improve it.

Moderator: Oberlus

Forum rules
Always mention the exact version of FreeOrion you are testing.

When reporting an issue regarding the AI, if possible provide the relevant AI log file and a save game file that demonstrates the issue.
Nalot
Space Krill

New player feedback.

#1 Post by Nalot »

Hello, and thank you all for contributing to this game.
I haven't had so much fun in a long time. I stumbled on an old version of this game (very old-each research item only had 1 point to research to complete) and gave it a shot, looked interesting but was too easy so I downloaded the current version and haven't been able to stop playing since (about 3 days now, didn't go to sleep Friday night after work I played straight through till 3am Sat... and got up at 6 for work Sunday). Very compelling, I love the discovery of new items and races, with a depth to keep my attention. Obviously I am no expert, just a fascinated player who came by to introduce myself, thank you and encourage you to continue the wonderful work. I'm NOT a programmer so I can't offer my limited time to help in that way, but I'd like to make a few suggestions that you may or may not of heard before or thought about before.

The other thing I have to mention is that when I joined this site I started to read the notices and "play by your rules"/"wipe my feet before entering your home" and I kind of ruined one of your surprises: I read about the Raging Monsters. Since I am still discovering LOTS of things I decided that I didn't what to know any more from this site until I played past the 200th turn in the game. Knowing the expert suggestions/walkthrough would help I'd rather muddle through a few times on my own to get my own feel for this work. My first request is that you don't reply to me harshly about putting this post in a different forum/folder - it seemed like the place for feedback so I decided to post it here, sorry if I'm wrong, it wouldn't be the first time and please feel free to move this post to where you would want it to be.

I've played many games, this one has me captivated.
I love the production line you're using. It's fast and allows me to increase the number of items I am building--retaining the work I have already put in... AMAZING and helpful. I have found that by 'pre-thinking' I can create an entire starfleet in 4 turns consisting of a well rounded Main ship, 5 other heavy attack ships, 10-20 troop ships and 20-50 decoys. Fun having that pop up when the enemy is closing in on one of my worlds! I was wondering if you considered in addition to the drop down menu for changing the number of units being built--could you please add (or point out to me how to do it if you already have this feature and I haven't figured it out!) an input so I could enter and build 35 or 47 decoys instead of the offered: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 10, 20, 50 or 99? It would allow the user to 'balance the load' so to speak - getting the production to arrive all at the same time. This is a small matter but logistically I think it would allow players to plan more if desired, allowing more precision.

In the research end of the game I would suggest that on the 'information' screen that shows the research topic results and description I think the status of the knowledge should be shown - ie: Completed/in the Que to be researched/Available/Locked. Also it would be nice if from that information screen the player could add the topic to the Que without having to go looking for it. The only other improvement I could offer for research is that it would be wonderful if in the list view the player could sort the columns "Name . Research points needed to learn . min turns. etc" - I'd love to be able to sort them by points occasionally so I could maximize the use of my points available. Perhaps also add a column for the Max points/turn so we can budget the choices more precisely.

Anyway the above are minor changes to a player - to enhance what is a tremendous achievement, kind of a finishing touch thing, not critical. Thanks again for all of your hard work to give me the enjoyment I have already had and the rest I plan on having with your game.

Nalot