6085 feedback

Describe your experience with the latest version of FreeOrion to help us improve it.

Moderator: Oberlus

Forum rules
Always mention the exact version of FreeOrion you are testing.

When reporting an issue regarding the AI, if possible provide the relevant AI log file and a save game file that demonstrates the issue.
markpi
Space Floater

6085 feedback

#1 Post by markpi »

hi,
playing 6085 under windows7
at first i wanted to write that a larval kraken was able to ignore my shield but the aUtosave showed that
my ship lost the built-in shield during its travels in space..

frequently left-click on ships/fleets isn´t possible for no obvious reason,
( in situations it would have worked in previous versions for sure )
scrolling a tick helps however

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

Re: 6085 feedback

#2 Post by Geoff the Medio »

markpi wrote:frequently left-click on ships/fleets isn´t possible for no obvious reason,
( in situations it would have worked in previous versions for sure )
scrolling a tick helps however
That's probably an issue with the field icons overlapping the fleet icon. They field icons made interactive again so they could be deleted in moderator mode by right clicking, but this also means they might be capturing left mouse clicks in normal gameplay mode depending on the z-order of objects in the GUI, which can be changed by zooming. I didn't notice any issues in testing, but that's part of what test builds are for.

Don't know what's up with ship shields being reduced, but watch for molecular clouds, which can reduce ship shields if they pass through them.Image
If you can spot the turn when the shields are reduced, there might be something in the meter icon tooltip indicating the source of the reduction.

Dilvish
AI Lead and Programmer Emeritus

#3 Post by Dilvish »

If the shield issue turns out to be unrelated to molecular clouds as far as you can tell, then please double check your design screen about the possibility that, in addition to the full Orga design you show, perhaps you also accidentally saved an incomplete version of the Orga design that didn't have the shields, and that could be the one used for the ship you show. (similar things have happened to me once in a while)

If you do confirm that you have only one Orga design (please also confirm by right-clicking on the design name in the fleet window for the aberrant ship Richter and selecting 'pedia lookup Orga'), then please attach a savegame file with this aberrant Orga ship Richter.
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0

Praetor Don
Space Floater

#4 Post by Praetor Don »

For the purposes of not wanting to make another thread:

Domesticated Megafauna states that it tames Space Monsters, does it actually do this?
Maybe the description on the research box should be changed?

English String Table:

SHP_HAB_MEGAFAUN
Habitable Mega-Fauna

SHP_HAB_MEGAFAUN_DESC
It is generally uncommon to find comfortable living conditions within a gigantic space monster. This is exactly what must exist within an organic hull however, if it is to be adequately controlled from within. The development of massive, habitable creatures opens up numerous possibilities for ship design.

I've personally never seen it happen :(
-Don
Spawn More Overlords!

Dilvish

#5 Post by Dilvish »

Praetor Don wrote:Domesticated Megafauna states that it tames Space Monsters, does it actually do this?
short answer: Yes
Maybe the description on the research box should be changed?
You looked at the wrong entry, check the one for Domesticated Megafauna.
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0

markpi
Space Floater

#6 Post by markpi »

hi,
when richter lost its shield there was no cloud to see as my neutron scanner wasn´t ready
and the tooltip just showed (unknown-4) but now i can see the cloud^^
tx for fast reply

Cluesen
Space Floater

#7 Post by Cluesen »

Meanwhile i'm on 6085 as well...

1.) Concentration Camps don't work anymore. Population goes down a bit, but Genocide does not occur.
2.) Fleets in GalaxyMap sometimes cannot be choosen, because they are 'overlaid' by something else. Zooming in and out until one can helps, but is unnerving.
3.) PlasmaCannon1 is not available in design screen anymore once research for PlasmaCannon2 is queued.
4.) When building Evacuation on several Planets simultaneosly, evacuees may settle on other planets beeing evacuated.
The beauty of travel is visiting foreign countries and meeting new people.
G.Khan

Geoff the Medio

#8 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Cluesen wrote:2.) Fleets in GalaxyMap sometimes cannot be choosen, because they are 'overlaid' by something else. Zooming in and out until one can helps, but is unnerving.
Read this thread.
3.) PlasmaCannon1 is not available in design screen anymore once research for PlasmaCannon2 is queued.
I find that hard to believe. Does this happen only with those specific weapons? I can't replicate it with lasers when starting a new game. Does it happen always in a specific situation, or might there be another factors that coincidentally occurred in your test? Can you check again and post screenshots documenting this, or a save?
4.) When building Evacuation on several Planets simultaneosly, evacuees may settle on other planets beeing evacuated.
Try adding

Code: Select all

Not Contains Building "BLD_EVACUATION"
to buildings.txt on line 1399.

shivu

#9 Post by shivu »

Geoff the Medio wrote:
I find that hard to believe. Does this happen only with those specific weapons? I can't replicate it with lasers when starting a new game. Does it happen always in a specific situation, or might there be another factors that coincidentally occurred in your test? Can you check again and post screenshots documenting this, or a save?
I have had the same and that already with SVN6048. I'm not sure, but if I remenber well, that happens with Death Ray too. I also use win 7.

Geoff the Medio

#10 Post by Geoff the Medio »

The parts list hides parts that are considered "superfluous", which is the case if there is a better part available for all slot types in which a part can be used. This shouldn't have anything to do with what's enqueued, and just seeing a part disappear that was previously available isn't necessarily a bug if there are better parts available.

Again, please provide specific examples, preferably with screenshots or saves demonstrating the issue.

Dilvish

#11 Post by Dilvish »

Cluesen wrote:1.) Concentration Camps don't work anymore. Population goes down a bit, but Genocide does not occur.
I don't think there has been any change to them -- are you sure you left the building in place? If you scrap the building, the population decrease will stop after a somewhat random amount of time.
As Geoff indicated, it's because of Laser 3 or 4 being available, not because of Plasma Cannon 2 being queued. I guess I really need to get around to adding a 'show hidden' button for the parts list, which would show all the parts that are being suppressed because they're inferior to other available parts.

I'm the one who designed the feature, and even I was confused a minute the first time playing with the revised weapon stats, with which Plasma Cannon 1 gets suppressed by Laser 3 (& Laser 4). Since that weapon revision it's been a recurring issue that folks get initially confused by this.

Cluesen
Space Floater

#12 Post by Cluesen »

I think it's been Laser3 supressing the PlasmaCannon1 then, don't have that game at hand anymore, but will keep an eye on it.
I realized only the best revisions of a weapon were shown, but didn't take into account that Laser3 is actually better than Plasma1.
Usually that's a good addition, since it greatly reduces the number of parts to choose, but what if one deliberately wants to use a weaker and therefore cheaper weapon in a design?

As for the ConcentrationCamps, once again i'm trying to figure out a code that does the trick.
Ran into some very strange effects using evacuation and ConcentrationCamps simultaneously.
I guess it's easier to come up with new code than explain it all.
G.Khan

Dilvish

#13 Post by Dilvish »

Cluesen wrote:but what if one deliberately wants to use a weaker and therefore cheaper weapon in a design?
A cheaper weapon is not suppressed by a more expensive one -- notice you still have MassDrivers showing throughout the game.
As for the ConcentrationCamps, once again i'm trying to figure out a code that does the trick.
Ran into some very strange effects using evacuation and ConcentrationCamps simultaneously.
I guess it's easier to come up with new code than explain it all.
Hmm, well I worked pretty hard on that new Concentration Camp code, so I think I'd want to see an explanation rather than just see it all get replaced.

When writing the new ConcCamp script though I didn't consider interactions with Evacuation -- for them to work together it may be the case that they would both need to check for the other also being present, and then only one of them deal with that combined situation. That will be pretty messy though. My inclination is to declare them incompatible, make Evacuation not possible to be built if a ConcCamp is present, and if a ConcCamp is built later the Evac removes itself.

Cluesen
Space Floater

#14 Post by Cluesen »

One more:
Sometimes items in the build-queue should have finished the turn before.
See the first dark grey field, 4 ships "Genesis 2" at Ansuz1 + 0.00PP in 1 turn.
Right below light grey 5 ships "Genesis 2" at Ansuz1 + 163PP in 5 turns.
Basically the 4 ships could have finished the turn before or should be light grey.
And yes, the next turn they were build.
Screenshot
Screenshot
FO1.jpg (177.22 KiB) Viewed 1217 times
G.Khan

eleazar
Design & Graphics Lead Emeritus

#15 Post by eleazar »

Dilvish wrote:My inclination is to declare them incompatible, make Evacuation not possible to be built if a ConcCamp is present, and if a ConcCamp is built later the Evac removes itself.
Agreed. Conceptually it doesn't make sense to be able to do both anyway-- CCs boost production and Evacs cancel production.