5990 Feedback

Describe your experience with the latest version of FreeOrion to help us improve it.

Moderator: Oberlus

Forum rules
Always mention the exact version of FreeOrion you are testing.

When reporting an issue regarding the AI, if possible provide the relevant AI log file and a save game file that demonstrates the issue.
Zireael
Space Dragon

5990 Feedback

#1 Post by Zireael »

What I like:
1) Random galaxy
2) Random seed input
3) Fleet summaries at the top of fleet screen.
EDIT: 4) Bonus to starlane speed from Infrastructure Ecology.

What I don't like
1) The galaxy map loves to scroll randomly if I'm doing something else on the PC in another window. Finding the map becomes a hassle. A 'center on homeworld' button would be a good solution. Alternately, locking on map when the window is inactive would solve this.
EDIT: 2) Concentration camps do not work - I'm still seeing an increase in population on planets with camps built.
3) Too easy to have huge surpluses of PP or RP, especially the latter, and nothing to spend them on.

What I wish for
1) Working happiness and trade.
EDIT: 2) Removed fuel.
3) More specials
4) More planet types
5) A moddable wheel of habitability - see viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7447&p=60616#p60616

Zireael
Space Dragon

Re: 5990 Feedback

#2 Post by Zireael »

1) Around turn 220, the game starts to lag and around turn 300, it is unplayable.

What I wish for
1) Working empire meters other than Detection Strength
2) Planet list and ship list screens
3) Hiding the planets in right sidepanel so that only the system summary is visible
4) Marking interesting systems on the map
5) Stars giving bonuses depending on the color and being described in the Pedia.
7) Numbering of all those Deep Spaces.

A link to the thread where I suggest more specials: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=6630

Zireael
Space Dragon

#3 Post by Zireael »

1) The game doesn't end if you lose all your ships and planets/outposts. Applies both to player and AI.

Zireael
Space Dragon

#4 Post by Zireael »

Won the game as Humans. 70 systems, 3 AI, random galaxy, seed 666.

Singularity of Transcendence researched on turn 407, I got the sitrep about winning in every other turn, but the game didn't end.
Beat the last AI on turn 415. The game didn't end either.

At turn 415 - PP 915, RP 1.83k - a reminder, this is humans, 100% Research, 100% Industry. Haven't been building stuff for the last 50 or so rounds, except troop ships.

Game lags heavily since around turn 300.

In an earlier game with Gyisache, I had 1.05k RP by turn 200 and had cleared the research tree around turn 210.

1) Research costs should be increased/bonuses lowered/more techs added.
2) Terraforming and Gaia Transformation costs should scale with the number of planets owned/transformed.
3) Surpluses of RP/PP should allow building/researching stuff faster, without waiting 2 rounds for every 5 troop ships.

1) A way to set the distance between empire capitals would be a good thing.
2) A way to set the % of deep space would be a good thing too.

MiniMe
Space Squid

#5 Post by MiniMe »

Zireael wrote:At turn 415 - PP 915, RP 1.83k
Why did u distribute the PP/RP like that?
I usually play with ~150 systems and by the end my distribution looks something like >5k:600

I've done well by going for 1:1 PP:RP for the first ~100 rounds. Then i start focusing only on PP. With all research boosting techs the few research-focused colonies from the beginning are totally sufficient.

The "bottleneck" is not the RP anyway, it's the fixed research time. So even if you have 2k RP, u wont research anything quicker.
Adding to that, there arent much useful techs after u reach certain key techs anyway.

Zireael
Space Dragon

#6 Post by Zireael »

I've discovered that if I don't focus on research, I get creamed by the AI. So I focus on research first and then I switch additional planets to industry.