ground troops

Describe your experience with the latest version of FreeOrion to help us improve it.

Moderator: Oberlus

Forum rules
Always mention the exact version of FreeOrion you are testing.

When reporting an issue regarding the AI, if possible provide the relevant AI log file and a save game file that demonstrates the issue.
ogre
Space Squid

ground troops

#1 Post by ogre »

racial ground troop modifiers...
do they only affect defending troops?
gysache can attack a 7defending planet with 4 troop ships
egassem follow the same limit, but why not make the troop ship check racial modifier?
thanks for a great game. :)

Starcraft, Syndicate, Populous, Star Control II, Master of Orion, Master of Magic, X-COM UFO Defense, Spacehulk: Vengence of the Blood Angels.

ogre
Space Squid

Re: ground troops

#2 Post by ogre »

i've been attacking races like egassem for their ground troop modifiers...
but it doesn't affect troop ships!

Starcraft, Syndicate, Populous, Star Control II, Master of Orion, Master of Magic, X-COM UFO Defense, Spacehulk: Vengence of the Blood Angels.

eleazar
Design & Graphics Lead Emeritus

#3 Post by eleazar »

Hmm, yeah, i guess are descriptions are confusing.

The troop picks only currently work for defending troops.

Each troop pod is worth 2 troops. You can build ships with more than one of them.

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#4 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Species could have an impact on ship troop levels with appropriate effects / scripting: either the cost of adding troop pods or the number of troops in a pod could depend on the ship species. The number of troops dependence probably wouldn't be properly represented in the pedia entry for a design, though.

ogre
Space Squid

#5 Post by ogre »

i just thought it was funny the % didnt carry over,
it startled me at first.
im okay with not suffering the 50% from the gysache :)
unfortunately for anyone near an egassem 400% industry and 400% troops might enable super duper troop spam <----
afterall, how many shots does a single ship get? 2 per weapon?
and does damage carry over from ship to ship in a stack or no?
oh yeah, and about the egassem... how many egassem can one fit into a troop ship?

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#6 Post by Geoff the Medio »

ogre wrote:how many shots does a single ship get? 2 per weapon?
The meaning of these questions is unclear.

Bigjoe5
Designer and Programmer

#7 Post by Bigjoe5 »

ogre wrote:oh yeah, and about the egassem... how many egassem can one fit into a troop ship?
Probably just one or two. Egassem are pretty big.
Warning: Antarans in dimensional portal are closer than they appear.

eleazar

#8 Post by eleazar »

Geoff the Medio wrote:Species could have an impact on ship troop levels with appropriate effects / scripting: either the cost of adding troop pods or the number of troops in a pod could depend on the ship species. The number of troops dependence probably wouldn't be properly represented in the pedia entry for a design, though.
I'd much rather adjust the cost of troop pods. I'm not keen to make the effectiveness of troop ships even less transparent.

If we do something like that it would be a different species pick. There's a lot of personality implicit in weather a species is good/bad at defending it's home vs. good/bad at invading someone else's home.

ogre
Space Squid

#9 Post by ogre »

Geoff the Medio wrote:
ogre wrote:how many shots does a single ship get? 2 per weapon?
The meaning of these questions is unclear.
just newb stuff, sorry for pestering so much but back in like 2001 i bought the "microprose games pack" from babages because it had xcom ufo defense which i used to play on 3do... to my delight it also contained MoOrion, MoMagic and XCOM[tfd]... which were my first exposures to these games.

anyways those 2 questions relate to the battle dynamics of the original MOO
the first question was how many times does a single ship weapon fire during a single round of combat in this game [freeorion]
the second question in that line was if there is excess damage to a single ship does it carry over to the next ship in the stack [i believe MOO ship combat operated along these lines, i wouldn't expect that to be a fair advantage in non-stacked ships or even stacks themselves but it could serve as a rough implementation of ship formations... eg. stacked carry over being 75% or 50% and non stacked being 25% or 0%]

oh, the price we pay for convenience... :)
[edit] the herd of "zebra planetary defense", would make it particularly hard to assess and or destroy an opponents defensive fleet as a human... but it would give an excuse to opponents [human players] to take excessively long turns...[/edit]
Bigjoe5 wrote:
ogre wrote:oh yeah, and about the egassem... how many egassem can one fit into a troop ship?
Probably just one or two. Egassem are pretty big.
<3 thunks
eleazar wrote:If we do something like that it would be a different species pick. There's a lot of personality implicit in weather a species is good/bad at defending it's home vs. good/bad at invading someone else's home.
i fully agree with you.

like i said, i enjoy that the gysache aren't affected by the 50% limiter being the invader and in contrast if applied to the egassem IT COULD very well INTRODUCE some very HARDCORE TROOPSHIP SPAM, i was merely querying the context and scope of the authors intent.

AND!
all of this leads me to another idea,
NEW tech tree -> Military Strategy :)

[ ] evasion
[ ] formation
[x] logistics
[ ] ...
[ ] first strike L1, L2, L3... or better yet the first official research point dumping ground... first strike~[bigger investment wins w/o actual levels]

eleazar

#10 Post by eleazar »

you got a great package of games back then.

Unlike MoO1, FreeOrion doesn't have any concept of "stacks"

ogre
Space Squid

#11 Post by ogre »

eleazar wrote:you got a great package of games back then.

Unlike MoO1, FreeOrion doesn't have any concept of "stacks"
you're telling me; it's IMPOSSIBLE for find on ebay.
best 20 bucks i ever spent... unfortunately THAT statement hints at a lack of perception of the true value of time.

another tech tree goody could be retrofitting...
instead of having to rebuild ships to upgrade laser 1 to laser 2
[ ]retrofitting could work like how the ship armor/structure upgrades work at the orbital drydocks but with weapons instead
it COULD make for a very worthy high level investment late in the game MAYBE

and thanks for clearing up more of my questions about in-game strategy. <3

qsswin
Pupating Mass

#12 Post by qsswin »

ogre wrote:anyways those 2 questions relate to the battle dynamics of the original MOO
the first question was how many times does a single ship weapon fire during a single round of combat in this game [freeorion]
There is an ROF stat for weapons in the script files. I remember that combat mechanics were revised a while back so each weapon will fire independently. I don't know if weapons firing more than once was implemented. If shields are changed to be a form of DR, it would be nice if it would be implemented, to give an interesting start to the RPS idea, ie, low ROF weapons are good against shielded ships and high ROF against armoured ships.

ogre
Space Squid

#13 Post by ogre »

oh, with troop ships the way they are currently...
races with the %troop modifier are nothing more than a mere annoyance considering the low cost and standard effect of said ships.

this would be a good reason for either the cost or damage modifier to be present here.
but the egassem military industrial complex could become very hazardous early

druid
Space Floater

#14 Post by druid »

Hi! Just to share my experience with ground troops.
I've used organic hulls to fit 4 pods in one ship, 1 ship is able to conquer planets with up to 8 troops. Ships are fast and cost-effective, priced below classic design troopers.
Asteroid hulls are even cheaper, but small asteroid hull will bring only 2 pods, minimal building time is 2 turns (same as organic and classic) and it's speed is limiting expansion.
I have experimented with armed troopers, but have not found them cost-effective.
Recently, I've seen AIs using static and endomorphic hulls for troopers, but I'm not sure it's good idea, only for speed and structure advantage...
Strongly addicted to turn-based space strategies :) And I like FO!

MiniMe
Space Squid

#15 Post by MiniMe »

I do the same since it's the easiest and cheapest, imo: organic hull with 4 troop pods.
Also, since AI seems to always have a Basic Shipyard and an Orbital Incubator, you can start producing more Troop-Ships right at the front line from captured planets.

I use organic hull for colony (and outpost) ships as well.
If i'm playing a huge map and late game, i design a Protoplasmic Hull with cryonic pod and 2x Singularity Engine. A good way to use abundant PP :lol: