Notes on rev 5383

Describe your experience with the latest version of FreeOrion to help us improve it.

Moderator: Oberlus

Forum rules
Always mention the exact version of FreeOrion you are testing.

When reporting an issue regarding the AI, if possible provide the relevant AI log file and a save game file that demonstrates the issue.
Zireael
Space Dragon

Notes on rev 5383

#1 Post by Zireael »

Bugs:
1) Progress bars sometimes glitch and become invisible. Can't pinpoint it, though.

What I like:
1) the trimmed down tech tree!

Zireael
Space Dragon

Re: Notes on rev 5383

#2 Post by Zireael »

The AI is very quick to research high stealth techs and I can't invade their planets as a result, even though I researched Sensors as quickly as I could. Ship detection stayed at 25.

My 50 troop ship stack disappeared twice without a trace.

The production doesn't run through the roof now, but I can build only 2-3 MK VIII Bs and the AIs have stacks of Mk VIIIs. Nasty.

EDIT: No slowdowns and this is the first time the AI actually started beating me.

Dilvish
AI Lead and Programmer Emeritus

#3 Post by Dilvish »

Zireael wrote:The AI is very quick to research high stealth techs and I can't invade their planets as a result, even though I researched Sensors as quickly as I could. Ship detection stayed at 25.
**Edit** ignore the following, read my post farther below**

To get the benefit of the sensor technology in that situation you'd need for the target planet to be either within detection range of one of your colonies/outposts, or within range of an advanced scout ship (with the sensor component, not the initial default detection). I run into that sometimes myself and ya, it's a pain until I can get the tech ready and deployed.
EDIT: No slowdowns and this is the first time the AI actually started beating me.
glad to hear it's being a challenge :D
Last edited by Dilvish on Fri Nov 09, 2012 7:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0

eleazar
Design & Graphics Lead Emeritus

#4 Post by eleazar »

Im having fun with this version

Dilvish
AI Lead and Programmer Emeritus

#5 Post by Dilvish »

Zireael, I owe you an apology -- I think that this dynamic has changed in just the past day; I hadn't realized that when I answered you earlier. I ran into similar problems, it seems like the current state of stealth rebalancing has left it a bit off-balance -- the detection techs don't seem to add enough to Imperial Detection Strength. I'm not sure what the best level really should be, but if you edit your default/techs.txt file and change the Active_Radar Imperial strength boost to something like 70, and similar increases to the other detection techs, then that should be enough to overcome the comparable tier of stealth. It could be that not so much increase is needed. I'm sure someone will figure out some sensible revisions for the svn version.
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0

eleazar
Design & Graphics Lead Emeritus

#6 Post by eleazar »

I started messing with stealth after rev 5383

Zireael
Space Dragon

#7 Post by Zireael »

Addendum: The planets which I tried to invade were in the range of imperial detection and really close to my planets (1 starlane jump in most cases)

yandonman
Creative Contributor

#8 Post by yandonman »

eleazar wrote:I'm having fun with this version
I completely concur.

Is anyone playing multi-player?
Code released under GPL 2.0. Content released under GPL 2.0 and Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0.