Native Appropriation description unclear

Describe your experience with the latest version of FreeOrion to help us improve it.

Moderator: Oberlus

Forum rules
Always mention the exact version of FreeOrion you are testing.

When reporting an issue regarding the AI, if possible provide the relevant AI log file and a save game file that demonstrates the issue.
wobbly
Cosmic Dragon

Native Appropriation description unclear

#1 Post by wobbly »

Native.png
Native.png (18.67 KiB) Viewed 735 times
The actual scripting is "homeworld"

3 cases:
  • Ancient Guardians: These are natives, but not a homeworld. This is the one that caught me out, till I looked at the scripting.
  • Independent Colonized Natives: If you colonize then grant independence, it's not a home world.
  • Capitals: If you capture an opponents capital, then grant independence, this is a home world.
Not sure how to make this clearer. The most obvious is to match the description to the scripting and specify "homeworld". However I don't believe that game concept ever appears in game, outside of an accounting label on population mouse over.

LienRag
Cosmic Dragon

Re: Native Appropriation description unclear

#2 Post by LienRag »

wobbly wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 6:13 am [*]Independent Colonized Natives: If you colonize then grant independence, it's not a home world.

If you colonize, they're not Natives... Natives!=Alien.

But yes, the distinction may be unclear to some, and you are right to point that Ancient Guardians are not explicitly excluded from the conditions.

wobbly
Cosmic Dragon

#3 Post by wobbly »

LienRag wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 1:22 pm If you colonize, they're not Natives... Natives!=Alien.
Technically natives = any non-playable species as far as the scripting of species is concerned.

I present, exhibit B:
native2.png
native2.png (101.98 KiB) Viewed 714 times

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#4 Post by Geoff the Medio »

wobbly wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 6:13 amIf you capture an opponents capital, then grant independence, this is a home world.
Not necessarily. Capitals can be moved and resettled with different species.

Ophiuchus
Programmer

#5 Post by Ophiuchus »

wobbly wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 1:57 pm
LienRag wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 1:22 pm If you colonize, they're not Natives... Natives!=Alien.
Technically natives = any non-playable species as far as the scripting of species is concerned.
i agree the wording is completely misleading.

"Native" is the FOCS flag saying that the species may spawn on a planet in universe generation. (Like "Playable" means the species may be played/empire species; sidenote: "Playable"+"Native" species are possible but we dont have any currently. We had such, but the balancing got too complicated).

"Native Species" (article from the pedia) are species which have the Native flag.

Homeworld says that a species actually spawned on that planet (both for Natives and empire homeworlds).

Empire homeworlds in the beginning are capitals. Empires may or may not have a capital and the capital planet may change.

If a population dies, it is not a homeworld anymore.

"Native" as colloquial used in the pedia (in Native Appropiation) means "primitive" (non-empire ones) societies on planets where the species did evolve. The condition should be homeworld or native_species-and-homeworld.

Maybe native speakers to the rescue? :lol: :mrgreen:
Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Look, ma... four combat bouts!

LienRag
Cosmic Dragon

#6 Post by LienRag »

Ophiuchus wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 6:18 am If a population dies, it is not a homeworld anymore.
I tried that in Single Player, if you re-settle the planet with the same species it becomes a homeworld again.

Ophiuchus
Programmer

#7 Post by Ophiuchus »

LienRag wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 2:53 pm
Ophiuchus wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 6:18 am If a population dies, it is not a homeworld anymore.
I tried that in Single Player, if you re-settle the planet with the same species it becomes a homeworld again.
thanks, I didn't know that. there is apparently a list of homeworlds per species in the backend.
Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Look, ma... four combat bouts!