Ramscoop?

Describe your experience with the latest version of FreeOrion to help us improve it.

Moderator: Oberlus

Forum rules
Always mention the exact version of FreeOrion you are testing.

When reporting an issue regarding the AI, if possible provide the relevant AI log file and a save game file that demonstrates the issue.
Daybreak
Vacuum Dragon

Ramscoop?

#1 Post by Daybreak »

Pedia on Ramscoop
Slowly generates Fuel while in systems by collecting hydrogen from the diffuse gas in space.

Can anybody please tell me how much?

and would that be cumulative with some organic ships that also produce fuel.

Thank you

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

Re: Ramscoop?

#2 Post by Oberlus »

+0.1, cumulative with any other fuel regen.
Yes, it's useless.

Daybreak
Vacuum Dragon

#3 Post by Daybreak »

maybe it should be upped a bit, to make it more competitve to the organice ships that have 0.3 or 0.2
Maybe it should be 0.4 considering it also takes a slot

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#4 Post by Oberlus »

Yes, considering it takes up a slot and it's not an early tech and it only serves a single ship, I would make it +1 (one turn stopped, one turn traveling) or +2 (one turn stopped, two turns traveling).

You can also have a single solar hull for infinite fuel with a much bigger investment, but once you have those, ramscoops become obsolete except for scouts.

Daybreak
Vacuum Dragon

#5 Post by Daybreak »

Oberlus wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 10:27 pm Yes, considering it takes up a slot and it's not an early tech and it only serves a single ship, I would make it +1 (one turn stopped, one turn traveling) or +2 (one turn stopped, two turns traveling).

You can also have a single solar hull for infinite fuel with a much bigger investment, but once you have those, ramscoops become obsolete except for scouts.
+1

Yes agree. I see ramscoops more for stealth scouts, which obviously Solar Hulls are too big and expensive.

LienRag
Cosmic Dragon

#6 Post by LienRag »

+0,3
Also Laenfa replenishment rates on bright stars are way too high, they should be reduced by a factor four and then tripled when a ship has a ramscoop.

LienRag
Cosmic Dragon

#7 Post by LienRag »

Actually a way to make the Ramscoop balanced would be to keep its current value (or up it to +0,2), eventually multiply that on bright stars for Laenfas and on Gas Giants for Sly, but to add a +0,3 inside Molecular Clouds (and/or Nebulas, Void Rifts, whatever).

This way replenished stranded ships gets some strategic element.

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#8 Post by Oberlus »

I'd like Ramscoop to be useful for non-Sly and non-Laenfa too.
I will never consider useful a part that gives you one extra hop every five turns, at least not for scouts that are actually scouting (not sitting idle).

wobbly
Cosmic Dragon

#9 Post by wobbly »

0.5 if stationary is a fairly simple pattern of wait 2 turns then jump.

Edit: Maybe laenfa should be .5 and 1 instead of 1 and 2?

Atreides
Space Kraken

#10 Post by Atreides »

Shocked to hear it's only 0.1 bonus.

Also I've found that by the time you can get them all the scouting is done. Not sure if I'd put those on a warship. Well never for 0.1.