Estimation of influence per turn when changing a policy is misleading

Describe your experience with the latest version of FreeOrion to help us improve it.

Moderator: Oberlus

Forum rules
Always mention the exact version of FreeOrion you are testing.

When reporting an issue regarding the AI, if possible provide the relevant AI log file and a save game file that demonstrates the issue.
Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

Estimation of influence per turn when changing a policy is misleading

#1 Post by Oberlus »

Playing 3abfde4

Turn 128, influence stockpile 40 IP, hovering over the influence icon says +12 IP per turn.
I adopt Indoctrination (costs 20 IP, adds -1 IP per planet, +5 stability per influence-focused planet with IRA or capital), predicted IP stockpile is 32 +15 per turn. Presumably, the extra IP per turn is coming from one IRA world already set to influence.
Press turn, now IP stockpile is -7 IP and plummetting. The estimations didn't take into account the -1 IP per planet.

Reload save game!

Side note, Indoctrination's stability bonus is great, but not without something to pay for the extra IP cost. Maybe Environmentalism...

wobbly
Cosmic Dragon

Re: Estimation of influence per turn when changing a policy is misleading

#2 Post by wobbly »

Oberlus wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 11:17 am
Side note, Indoctrination's stability bonus is great, but not without something to pay for the extra IP cost. Maybe Environmentalism...
Depends. It's +5 IP for capital/regional admins on influence focus. I had a big +IP bonus from it last multiplayer game. So +5 for a regional admin (on influence focus), -1/colony. Depends how close to the 5 to 1 ratio.

Grummel7
Space Dragon

Re: Estimation of influence per turn when changing a policy is misleading

#3 Post by Grummel7 »

Oberlus wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 11:17 am Turn 128, influence stockpile 40 IP, hovering over the influence icon says +12 IP per turn.
I adopt Indoctrination (costs 20 IP, adds -1 IP per planet, +5 stability per influence-focused planet with IRA or capital), predicted IP stockpile is 32 +15 per turn. Presumably, the extra IP per turn is coming from one IRA world already set to influence.
I seem to remember that we have discussed this at Dev-Meeting, but I cannot remember the details.

Fact is:
Adopt a policy => planet meters are updated, empire meters are not.
Change a planet's focus => planet and empire meters are updated.

So as a workaround, change focus back and forth to see the policy effect.