V5 not playable any more

Describe your experience with the latest version of FreeOrion to help us improve it.

Moderator: Oberlus

Forum rules
Always mention the exact version of FreeOrion you are testing.

When reporting an issue regarding the AI, if possible provide the relevant AI log file and a save game file that demonstrates the issue.
jadwin
Space Floater

Re: V5 not playable any more

#16 Post by jadwin »

If I install the new version with the setpup file, it always installs the german version. What can I do?

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#17 Post by Oberlus »

jadwin wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 4:07 pm If I install the new version with the setpup file, it always installs the german version. What can I do?
You can change language settings in Options, the UI tab (user interface). There is one line around the middle for "Language File". Click there and select en.txt (instead of de.txt). No need to reinstall, all languages are included.

LienRag
Cosmic Dragon

#18 Post by LienRag »

You need to restart, though.

drkosy
Space Dragon

#19 Post by drkosy »

No one is working on the German translation, BTW...
I was working on that and posted my (not finished) work in the language forum but since there was no feedback I left that half done...
Why egassem? Because 200% industry.
I would have said: Because 200% troops. With low pop the production of egassm (200% and low pop) and ugmors (150% and average pop) are nearly the same. I just have to say the small settling window makes it difficult for egassem without suitable natives nearby. So I think the game still depends much on starting conditions. But they all do (in MOO2 having an ultra rich large planet at home location makes gives a big advantage)...

I like planing 0.4.10+ because it's not just build a big fleet, settle everything and conquer everything. You have to plan and think more. I just think about a way to make tiny planets somehow useful. At the moment only artistic races ore ones with good supply makes sense, at least some times. In principle I leave the ones without special alone...

In my latest game (8 Players) against the AI I used humans and got 1k PP and 1k RP around turn 230. It for sure is slower than 0.4.10 but I love that.
Want some fresh experience? Try Kosymod

Ophiuchus
Programmer

#20 Post by Ophiuchus »

drkosy wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 5:01 pm
No one is working on the German translation, BTW...
I was working on that and posted my (not finished) work in the language forum but since there was no feedback I left that half done...
i think it would be great if you could continue
Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Look, ma... four combat bouts!

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#21 Post by Geoff the Medio »

LienRag wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 5:20 pm You need to restart, though.
To clarify: for all the in-game text to be properly rendered, you need to exit the program and restart it. You don't need to start a new game from turn 1.

Also, regarding the original topic of this thread, there is an option near the bottom of the Balance tab in the game rules during single player setup for "Planet Stability Baseline". Set that to 10 or 20, and all planets will get a corresponding bonus to stability, which should remove a substantial part of the consequences of dealing with likes and dislikes.

drkosy
Space Dragon

#22 Post by drkosy »

i think it would be great if you could continue
At the moment I do some modifications on species, policies and techs to get the game more fun for me but that is nearly finished (I'll post my result here - just if someone is interested). After that I'm sure to find some time to do some more translation work :)

On topic: Here are some hints, I learned form my 4 test games:
1.) Get centralization for at least 1 or 2 turns (very early) than the regional admin is available - you can remove the policy and it keeps on your building list
2.) Settle some planets as quick as possible an get the policy "liberty" - that boosts your research a lot
3.) Get industrialism as soon as possible to boost production output. Use that boosted output to settle planets
4.) You should have some warships around turn 50, in small galaxies more early. The AI has robo-attackers very soon, but they suffer from low fuel so they come around not to early.
5.) I use symbiotic hull with 2 heavy bombers, launch bay and zortium armor. All techs are available early and 2 of that ships can even kill early robotic attackers
6.) Watch the likes and dislikes of your species, especially with liberty it could be a good idea to apply a policy just because your species like that (boost stability by 4)

What seems not in the documentation: The policy slots are a given by
economic: planet infrastructure (2), system infrastructure (1), interstellar infrastructure (2), sentinent automation (1)
military: Distribut thougt network (1), temporal mechanics (1), military command - building (1)
social: Psychological architecture (1), Mind of the void (1), Transcendent architecture (1), nearly universal translator - building (1), scrying sphere - building or special (1)

I'm sure the list is not complete, but that is what I could find out.

Good luck for your next game 8)
Want some fresh experience? Try Kosymod

ThinkSome
Psionic Snowflake

#23 Post by ThinkSome »

Pretty much my approach in the 19th game, except that the industrialism switch happened much later.

Symbiotic hull was hands down the best hull in early/mid game, and with addition of the "design simplicity" policy also remains the best through to late game.