Do stealthy planets damage fleets over them?

Describe your experience with the latest version of FreeOrion to help us improve it.

Moderator: Oberlus

Forum rules
Always mention the exact version of FreeOrion you are testing.

When reporting an issue regarding the AI, if possible provide the relevant AI log file and a save game file that demonstrates the issue.
Daybreak
Vacuum Dragon

Do stealthy planets damage fleets over them?

#1 Post by Daybreak »

I have been playing the stealth game where my planets are stealthier that enemies scanners,

Note: this is in 4.9 so I dont know if there has been in any changes in 4.10+

Do stealthy planets do any damage to fleets that are blockading them?

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

Re: Do stealthy planets damage fleets over them?

#2 Post by Oberlus »

Yes, if combat is triggered and the planets have non-zero defenses.

IIRC, combat won't trigger if the ships blockading can't see the planet.
But if something else triggers combat (a monster, another planet not owned by the blockading empire, etc.) the stealth planet will join the battle joyfully.

Daybreak
Vacuum Dragon

#3 Post by Daybreak »

Will a comsat from the stealthy planet trigger combat?

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#4 Post by Oberlus »

Daybreak wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 12:07 pm Will a comsat from the stealthy planet trigger combat?
Yes, unless it is hidden for whatever reason (stealth part, storm...)

Daybreak
Vacuum Dragon

#5 Post by Daybreak »

Oberlus wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 12:19 pm
Daybreak wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 12:07 pm Will a comsat from the stealthy planet trigger combat?
Yes, unless it is hidden for whatever reason (stealth part, storm...)
ok thanks

It does not make sense to me that a system can be totally blockaded if stealthy, but blocking ships take no damage and can repair themselves.

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#6 Post by Oberlus »

Blockade needs no combat to work if the blockaded aren't attacking. Like a siege: I stay away from your planetary cannons, but any unarmed ship trying to get to the planet will be shot down, and any armed ship will have to survive combat.

Supply lines can be seen as an abstraction of unarmed freigh ships moving stuff around through your space, and we have no stealth freighs.

Daybreak
Vacuum Dragon

#7 Post by Daybreak »

Oberlus wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 1:50 pm Blockade needs no combat to work if the blockaded aren't attacking. Like a siege: I stay away from your planetary cannons, but any unarmed ship trying to get to the planet will be shot down, and any armed ship will have to survive combat.

Supply lines can be seen as an abstraction of unarmed freigh ships moving stuff around through your space, and we have no stealth freighs.
Yes I figured that was how it was being played.

My take on it is - Space is big
If close enough to a planet to blockade it, then you are in range of defences
if further away, out of range of defences, then there should be some type of leakage of production, as the area to patrol is so much bigger and some Trade/Production ships may get through.

If an Empire has concentrated on stealth, and not more technically advanced ships, its easy to beat them, by have more advanced ships just camp their starlanes.

To me the blockade is one way only, and takes away from playing a stealth game.

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#8 Post by Oberlus »

Daybreak wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 2:40 pm To me the blockade is one way only, and takes away from playing a stealth game.
Stealth and imperial stockpile (not supply-bound) play well together.

Daybreak
Vacuum Dragon

#9 Post by Daybreak »

Oberlus wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 3:42 pm
Daybreak wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 2:40 pm To me the blockade is one way only, and takes away from playing a stealth game.
Stealth and imperial stockpile (not supply-bound) play well together.
I investigated this and the answer is not really

I used Fulver with 0.6 pr population stockpiling, and the numbers are poor, less than 30, whereas production or research were over 170 - You are way smarter to set planets to research, which ignores the blockade.

Therefore there really is no stealth game against smarter opponents who easily with a few choke points can kill your production.

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#10 Post by Oberlus »

Daybreak wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 1:28 am I investigated this and the answer is not really

I used Fulver with 0.6 pr population stockpiling, and the numbers are poor, less than 30, whereas production or research were over 170 - You are way smarter to set planets to research, which ignores the blockade.
My experience, with good/great stockpile species is different.

This part seems misplaced:
Daybreak wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 1:28 am Therefore there really is no stealth game against smarter opponents who easily with a few choke points can kill your production.
How can the enemy blockade my supply if I don't have supply?