In Ver 4.10 it appears as if Production and Research are nerfed

Describe your experience with the latest version of FreeOrion to help us improve it.

Moderator: Oberlus

Forum rules
Always mention the exact version of FreeOrion you are testing.

When reporting an issue regarding the AI, if possible provide the relevant AI log file and a save game file that demonstrates the issue.
Daybreak
Vacuum Dragon

In Ver 4.10 it appears as if Production and Research are nerfed

#1 Post by Daybreak »

(First Kudos to the AI programmer in 4.9 and 4.10 - so good)

I have been playing vers 4.9 and only recently changed to 4.10

I found that Production and Research seemed to be nerfed, and when reading the changelog it appears that changes have been made to population, to make it more balanced. I know there are other reductions of tech and new tech changes as well, as well as possibly other changes.

I understand why but the time taken to play the game to an unassailable positon has doubled.

I would like to make a suggestion that does not change the balance, but allows the user to speed up (or slow down) game play.

Would it be possible to have a ratio percentage for both, Producion and Research for all players including AI's

Basically in game setup the ratio would be set at 100% for all production and research.

If I wanted to make the game faster and have higher production and research I could set the ratio at say 300% meaning what normally may have been 100 production would be 300 production... same for research. AI's / all player) would get same advantages, but I beleive this would speed the game up.

I am not a code writer but basically when production/research for each colony is calculatied this ratio would be part of the calculaton.

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

Re: In Ver 4.10 it appears as if Production and Research are nerfed

#2 Post by Geoff the Medio »

If the last few versions, there are balance game rules that can be adjusted when starting a new game. The hull cost, part cost, and tech cost rules should do what you want, I think.
galaxy setup screen with balance rules tab shown
galaxy setup screen with balance rules tab shown
galaxy setup balance.png (446.78 KiB) Viewed 1933 times

Daybreak
Vacuum Dragon

Re: In Ver 4.10 it appears as if Production and Research are nerfed

#3 Post by Daybreak »

and Building costs

I notice you can only do scaling adjustments in 10% increments, but then that would be good enough.

Ok thank you - worked very well - much faster game. I did get extremely lucky with systems, natives and specials. ie Misiora, multi shields, and growth. so a little one sided

I will play a few more games to see how it plays out when I am not so lucky.

I had always assumed the scaling was for testing purposes, so did not touch it. Thank you for pointing me in right direction.