Desperately needed management GUI's

Describe your experience with the latest version of FreeOrion to help us improve it.

Moderator: Oberlus

Forum rules
Always mention the exact version of FreeOrion you are testing.

When reporting an issue regarding the AI, if possible provide the relevant AI log file and a save game file that demonstrates the issue.
truepurple
Space Kraken

Desperately needed management GUI's

#1 Post by truepurple »

We should not have to hunt down our fleets remembering where on the map they are and finding tiny "triangles" to click on.
Same with our planets.
Same with planets we've explored and might be interested in taking.

I have looked in game carefully and carefully looked down the quick start over guide, I can not find any management systems to speak of except maybe tech and tech needs alot of work too (see my other thread on that)

Each of these GUI's can have their own button on the screen and also shortcuts.

Fleet GUI, see all your current ships and what they are doing in one list. Clicking on one will take you to it as active and ready for you to tell it what to do.

Owned planet/production GUI rolled into one. You choose a planet from the list (list in system sets) what it should produce, ability to change focus from here, abbreciated planet stats.

Also when looking at systems those arrows next to the name should take you to next owned system rotating, not whatever it does now, takes you to empty space and other nonsense.

Explored planet list. Just look to MoO2 and improve on it so we can quickly spot and send our coloney ships to grab whatever looks good from this menu. Of course to make this really work we need pathing around danger change I talked about in another thread.

None of these ideas are original or not very original anyway. It's weird the game can get to version 4.10 and still be lacking such basic GUI necessities.

LienRag
Cosmic Dragon

Re: Desperately needed management GUI's

#2 Post by LienRag »

Ctrl+O then select fleets and deselect planets.

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#3 Post by Oberlus »

LienRag, I didn't know the shortcut for the Objects window :D

truepurple wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 7:14 pm finding tiny "triangles" to click on.
If you zoom in they are bigger :twisted:
I have looked in game carefully and carefully looked down the quick start over guide
The big colored buttons in the top-right corner of the game window are useful and hard to miss.

truepurple
Space Kraken

#4 Post by truepurple »

Oberlus wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 7:44 pm The big colored buttons in the top-right corner of the game window are useful and hard to miss.
You mean the ones that do nothing like what I am describing? Good to already know.

Now back to our original topic...

truepurple
Space Kraken

#5 Post by truepurple »

LienRag wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 7:41 pm Ctrl+O then select fleets and deselect planets.
That bit of semihidden GUI barely counts as anything and is certainly nowhere close to what I am talking about or what is necessarily.

Have neither of you played any other 4X game (including this games namesake, Masters of Orion 2) that you don't know what's possible for game interface and how FO sucks massively by comparison? I feel like you both (but let's be frank, mostly Oberius because that's their thing) skipped over my not that long post to kinda say "You can make do with what we have or go without! No soup for you! NEXT!" yeah... no... We need much better GUI's. Besides, sucky GUI means much more micromanaging, which is supposedly something super important for reducing in this game!

Ophiuchus
Programmer

#6 Post by Ophiuchus »

truepurple wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 7:56 pm
LienRag wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 7:41 pm Ctrl+O then select fleets and deselect planets.
That bit of semihidden GUI barely counts as anything and is certainly nowhere close to what I am talking about or what is necessarily.
We dont have a GUI developer at the moment. So yes, better GUI is much appreciated. But it is also a (old-school) alpha version - the version is 0.4.10, not 4.10. It is not feature complete and game parts will probably completely change (e.g. tech tree, maybe combat system) which will need a completely different GUI to be good.

What you will get is the object window for a while.
Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Look, ma... four combat bouts!

truepurple
Space Kraken

#7 Post by truepurple »

Well how about three object windows then for now then? One for fleet, one for owned planets, one for unowned explored planets. They should be seperate triggered by separate hotkeys. Perhaps some sorting work done on that? Like sorting for best compatibility and so on. Along with perhaps buttons to trgger than instead of just hidden hotkeys.