Please change this ship naming system and how battle logs show

Describe your experience with the latest version of FreeOrion to help us improve it.

Moderator: Oberlus

Forum rules
Always mention the exact version of FreeOrion you are testing.

When reporting an issue regarding the AI, if possible provide the relevant AI log file and a save game file that demonstrates the issue.
truepurple
Space Kraken

Please change this ship naming system and how battle logs show

#1 Post by truepurple »

Battle logs are made useless because of these silly human names. The names shown in battle log should be- Name of ship design, followed by a # (number). This would make battle logs immensely more usable. This would also apply to the fighters from fighter-bays. Give the name of the fighter type plus it's tech level and a # to separate it out from the others as to attacking and being attacked.

Down with this human named ships filling battle log nonsense, please!

LienRag
Cosmic Dragon

Re: Please change this ship naming system and how battle logs show

#2 Post by LienRag »

You can rename your ships that way if you want.
But I'm not sure that it can be automatized.

It could be an option to have all ships named that way, though I certainly prefer the current naming system.

truepurple
Space Kraken

#3 Post by truepurple »

LienRag wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 6:06 pm You can rename your ships that way if you want.
LOL, yeah, the solution is just to manually rename every friggin ship I make so I can make heads or tails of the combat log.

It could be an option to have all ships named that way, though I certainly prefer the current naming system.
Fine. But why do you prefer the current system? Do you not use battle logs?

LienRag
Cosmic Dragon

#4 Post by LienRag »

truepurple wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 6:45 pm
LienRag wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 6:06 pm It could be an option to have all ships named that way, though I certainly prefer the current naming system.
Fine. But why do you prefer the current system? Do you not use battle logs?
I do sometimes, when I need to understand what happened (to make better previsions for next battle), but not always.
And it's usually not that hard to memorize which ship is what (especially since the damages tell what weapon is used if you're used to the number values).
And generally having names makes the game more immersive.

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#5 Post by Oberlus »

Showing ship design name instead of ship unique name is reasonable. It already works that way for enemy ships, so I'm up for doing it with own ships too. I opened a feature request on github.

truepurple
Space Kraken

#6 Post by truepurple »

Please add that the ships have numbers too so you can tell one from another. Also any fighter bay plans should show from the plans and not the ship with their attack, so as to tell how the planes are doing.
Last edited by truepurple on Fri Jul 09, 2021 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LienRag
Cosmic Dragon

#7 Post by LienRag »

Please either show both, or make it an option.
Sometimes it's useful to understand which ship got hurt.

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#8 Post by Oberlus »

LienRag wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 7:39 pm Please either show both, or make it an option.
Yes. I suggested (on the feature request) <ship name (ship design name)>
truepurple wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 7:38 pm Please add that the ships have numbers too so you can tell one from another. Also any fighter bay plans should show from the plans and not the ship with their attack, so as to tell how the planes are doing.
Since ships are not numbered themselves, I don't see how adding a random number would help. Better the ship name.

truepurple
Space Kraken

#9 Post by truepurple »

LienRag wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 7:39 pm Please either show both, or make it an option.
Sometimes it's useful to understand which ship got hurt.
That's why you put a number. I would be fine if it was model number, unique number for that model, (every time you make a new one of that model it counts up from 1, or the numbers are temporarily generated for each battle log based on what's present) and these human names too if you like, I'm sure we could fit it all in.

So either the ship is named Cruiser M 1 or Cruiser M [1] or there is a additional tag on it for it to give that number in battle.

Or you got 4 Cruiser M 1's in battle , the report randomly assigns them 1-4 for the purposes of the report.

I much prefer the former. And we could make it a setting option.

If you put this on github, please include this bit about the numbers too.

Can we put feature request on github or comment on it? Address?

Ophiuchus
Programmer

#10 Post by Ophiuchus »

Oberlus wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 7:41 pm Since ships are not numbered themselves, I don't see how adding a random number would help. Better the ship name.
There is the UI option of showing object IDs, we could respect that setting in the combat logs.
Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Look, ma... four combat bouts!

truepurple
Space Kraken

#11 Post by truepurple »

Ophiuchus wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 8:53 pm
Oberlus wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 7:41 pm Since ships are not numbered themselves, I don't see how adding a random number would help. Better the ship name.
There is the UI option of showing object IDs, we could respect that setting in the combat logs.
An object ID is going to be long thus harder to keep track of, simple short numbers like how I described would be much better for people. Again if the numbers were just added to the model names in the simple manner I described, there would be no issue.

Ophiuchus
Programmer

#12 Post by Ophiuchus »

truepurple wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 8:57 pm
Ophiuchus wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 8:53 pm
An object ID is going to be long thus harder to keep track of, simple short numbers like how I described would be much better for people. Again if the numbers were just added to the model names in the simple manner I described, there would be no issue.
Yes you do that.
Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Look, ma... four combat bouts!

truepurple
Space Kraken

#13 Post by truepurple »

Do what?