How to replace a policy

Describe your experience with the latest version of FreeOrion to help us improve it.

Moderator: Oberlus

Forum rules
Always mention the exact version of FreeOrion you are testing.

When reporting an issue regarding the AI, if possible provide the relevant AI log file and a save game file that demonstrates the issue.
Grummel7
Space Dragon

How to replace a policy

#1 Post by Grummel7 »

Playing the current master version, I have a problem with replacing policies:
  • When I remove a policy and advance the turn, it is there again
  • When I remove a policy and try to replace it immediately, the old policy is shown again
  • The only way I've found is the press the clear button, re-add all policies that I'd like to keep, then add the new one. But that cannot be the intended way.
Am I missing something?

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

Re: How to replace a policy

#2 Post by Oberlus »

I use double-click to remove a policy. First I have to move away the window with info that pops up when clicking on a policy (otherwise the second click of the double-click lands on that window and the policy stays). After that, I can add another policy or just leave the slot empty. Advancing turn doesn't reinstate the removed policy.

Grummel7
Space Dragon

#3 Post by Grummel7 »

You are right, double-clicking does the job.
I've pulled them to the policies field, which does empty the slot just like a double-click, but apparently it does not really remove the policy.

Actually I think the interface should simply allow drawing a policy into a used slot to do a replacement.

By playing around I also found that you can remove prerequisite policies without removing the policies that depend on it. E.g. when I have Planetary Infrastructure and System Infrastructure I can remove the first, also the later depends on it. Well, it makes little sense in that case, but adopting e.g. Indoctrination, then removing Conformity to get rid of the research penalty sounds abusive.

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#4 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Grummel7 wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 6:09 pm...you can remove prerequisite policies without removing the policies that depend on it.
This is intended.

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#5 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Geoff the Medio wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 6:24 pm
Grummel7 wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 6:09 pm...you can remove prerequisite policies without removing the policies that depend on it.
This is intended.
Or rather, one should be able to adopt a policy and then remove the prerequisite, but not on the same turn that the prerequisite was adopted (and thereby avoid the IP cost of adopting the prereq). There might be a bug with that...