Regenerate troops even when system is blockaded?

Describe your experience with the latest version of FreeOrion to help us improve it.

Moderator: Oberlus

Forum rules
Always mention the exact version of FreeOrion you are testing.

When reporting an issue regarding the AI, if possible provide the relevant AI log file and a save game file that demonstrates the issue.
ThinkSome
Psionic Snowflake

Regenerate troops even when system is blockaded?

#1 Post by ThinkSome »

Defensive militia training +1 should IMO do so even when the system is blockaded.

I find it strange how industry/research output is unchanged, but troops do not increase? I mean, if enemy ships hold the system then I'd assume the former two to also be seriously affected (all facilities bombed to hell)?

defaultuser
Juggernaut

Re: Regenerate troops even when system is blockaded?

#2 Post by defaultuser »

ThinkSome wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 5:56 pm Defensive militia training +1 should IMO do so even when the system is blockaded.

I find it strange how industry/research output is unchanged, but troops do not increase? I mean, if enemy ships hold the system then I'd assume the former two to also be seriously affected (all facilities bombed to hell)?
The ships are firing on defensive installations. I guess the in-game explanation is that the planet can't recruit and train troops under those circumstances.

ThinkSome
Psionic Snowflake

#3 Post by ThinkSome »

Alright, but then I'd expect the amount of troops to slowly drop. In any case, note the keyword "militia" in "defensive militia training". These are not regular troops trained at regular troop training facilities.

And, if we go with the explanation of "The ships are firing on defensive installations", how can I set my ships to also fire on research/industry installation?

defaultuser
Juggernaut

#4 Post by defaultuser »

That's not part of the game as it exists. If you persist in being pissy every time someone gives you an answer, people will just start ignoring your questions. Which is what I will be doing from now on.

wobbly
Cosmic Dragon

#5 Post by wobbly »

I'm fairly neutral to the idea. I think being able to block troop growth is a fun part of the game. However there's probably room for 1 of the later defense techs to give partial troop growth through a blockade. Unless 1 of them already does? I tend to ignore the later part of that tree.

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#6 Post by Oberlus »

Does anyone like the idea of "destroying" PP/RP/IP output of attacked colonies? Or halting their meters growth?
I find blockades annoying enough (and even crippling in some cases) but I would not mind making attacks on planets more annoying.
Anyway, what really matters is conquering. If we allow slow or fast troop regen while under attack, attackers should take more care on timely supplying enough troops to finish the job in a turn, so I don't see it would introduce anything new or really interesting.

o01eg
Programmer

#7 Post by o01eg »

Oberlus wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 11:10 am Does anyone like the idea of "destroying" PP/RP/IP output of attacked colonies? Or halting their meters growth?
I find blockades annoying enough (and even crippling in some cases) but I would not mind making attacks on planets more annoying.
Anyway, what really matters is conquering. If we allow slow or fast troop regen while under attack, attackers should take more care on timely supplying enough troops to finish the job in a turn, so I don't see it would introduce anything new or really interesting.
I think we can lower happiness, it will destroy PP/RP/IP output consecutively.
Gentoo Linux x64, gcc-11.2, boost-1.78.0
Ubuntu Server 22.04 x64, gcc-12, boost-1.74.0
Welcome to the slow multiplayer game at freeorion-lt.dedyn.io.Version 2024-04-07.15cf063.
Donations're welcome:BTC:bc1q007qldm6eppqcukewtfkfcj0naut9njj7audnm

Ophiuchus
Programmer

#8 Post by Ophiuchus »

Dunno. I would like to have defense focus to always have an effect. It now has only an effect if some of your defenses are already maxed out and nobody attacks the planet.

Maybe on blockade have defense only grow by the defense focus growth part. Or the other way round - if not put to defense focus, reduce defense values a bit every turn.

I am against extra crippling PP/RP by blockade in a system - that should strictly happen by supply-line effects.

I think there should be no effects on resource production on shooting planets.

I think effects on resource production on invasion (troop landings) and bombardment are ok. Bombardment of course already has such an effect by lowering population.
Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Look, ma... four combat bouts!

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#9 Post by Oberlus »

Ophiuchus wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 4:53 pm I am against extra crippling PP/RP by blockade in a system - that should strictly happen by supply-line effects.

It would be extra crippling from attacking the planet rather than blockade.
And supply-line effects does not cripple anything if you have enough stockpile.
Why should it only come from supply-line effects?

wobbly
Cosmic Dragon

#10 Post by wobbly »

I like o01egs idea of doing it through happiness. Currently research focused planets can just ignore a blockade, as long as there are no troopers

Ophiuchus
Programmer

#11 Post by Ophiuchus »

Oberlus wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 4:56 pm
Ophiuchus wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 4:53 pm I am against extra crippling PP/RP by blockade in a system - that should strictly happen by supply-line effects.

It would be extra crippling from attacking the planet rather than blockade.
And supply-line effects does not cripple anything if you have enough stockpile.
Why should it only come from supply-line effects?
Supply-line gives a lot of PP bonuses. Those are gone if there is a blockade/supply gets cut off, so PP output will drop.

I think a blockade via cutting of supply lines should have the same effect regardless if that happens in your system or somewhere else.

Note that I am talking about the first topic "blockade" here, attacking a planet is a related but different topic.

So on the second topice: I think there should be no effects on resource production on shooting planets. This is a gut feeling and i would need to think longer about this for a better answer.
Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Look, ma... four combat bouts!

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#12 Post by Oberlus »

Ophiuchus wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 5:27 pm So on the second topice: I think there should be no effects on resource production on shooting planets. This is a gut feeling and i would need to think longer about this for a better answer.
The more I think about it, the more sense it makes to me to hinder not only troop meters but also PP/RP/IP. The empire attacking the planet is putting more effort than just blocking supply line somewhere else, it is subject to the planetary defenses. It helps giving a way to actually make your enemy lose PP through war (that is technically lost with the stockpile sucking up all wasted PPs).
I'd like it to be a gradual effect (need several turns under attack to reach zero PP/RP output).

ThinkSome
Psionic Snowflake

#13 Post by ThinkSome »

defaultuser wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 6:32 am That's not part of the game as it exists. If you persist in being pissy every time someone gives you an answer, people will just start ignoring your questions. Which is what I will be doing from now on.
I'm sorry if I sounded "pissy". I'm not and that was not intended.

wobbly
Cosmic Dragon

#14 Post by wobbly »

Ophiuchus wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 4:53 pm Dunno. I would like to have defense focus to always have an effect. It now has only an effect if some of your defenses are already maxed out and nobody attacks the planet.
What I like about the current setup is it takes some strategic pre-planning. You can't just wait till your opponent has already blasted the ships and go, well now I'll switch to defense focus.

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#15 Post by Oberlus »

A change I'd like to see in defense focus is defense/troop/shield meters growth.
Currently they all grow at same rate regardless of focus, I'd make defense focus to double meter's growth rate (which couples well with doubling target meters). It'd still require planning ahead, but it would remove the current mechanic that makes it stupid to set planetary defense focus when you have not reached standard target values (you keep PP/RP focus until defense/troops/shields reach maximum then set defense focus, because doing it sooner than that gives you no better defense but worse production).