Bioadaptive hull bug

Describe your experience with the latest version of FreeOrion to help us improve it.

Moderator: Oberlus

Forum rules
Always mention the exact version of FreeOrion you are testing.

When reporting an issue regarding the AI, if possible provide the relevant AI log file and a save game file that demonstrates the issue.
Magnate
Space Dragon

Bioadaptive hull bug

#1 Post by Magnate »

The Pedia entry says:

This living hull regenerates Structure quickly when out of combat, gaining its current structure every turn it isn't involved in a fight or blockade, meaning if it is at half strength or greater it will be fully repaired in one turn.

In the 11th MP game, Oberlus's bioadaptive hulls are taking damage from my mines - this is part of a blockade action, which means they should not regenerate.

Presumably the intention was not to make them immune to mines, hence the Pedia wording.

o01eg
Programmer

Re: Bioadaptive hull bug

#2 Post by o01eg »

I suppose it is better to file issue on github.
Gentoo Linux x64, gcc-11.2, boost-1.78.0
Ubuntu Server 22.04 x64, gcc-12, boost-1.74.0
Welcome to the slow multiplayer game at freeorion-lt.dedyn.io.Version 2024-03-15.b3de094.
Donations're welcome:BTC:bc1q007qldm6eppqcukewtfkfcj0naut9njj7audnm

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#3 Post by Oberlus »

It's a documentation bug, IMO: their hull regeneration happens every turn regardless of combat.

Edit: so it should be something like

Code: Select all

This living hull regenerates [[metertype METER_STRUCTURE]] quickly, gaining its current structure every turn (even when involved in a fight or blockade), meaning if it is at half strength or greater it will be fully repaired in one turn.

Ophiuchus
Programmer

#4 Post by Ophiuchus »

Magnate wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 6:50 am Presumably the intention was not to make them immune to mines, hence the Pedia wording.
The wording is about blockade and fight as far as i can see - mine tech effects are none of this in technical terms (blockade restricts the way your ships can fly). So the actual problem is that the description is too technical.

The recovery effect from mines for that hull is important with the current stealth system - for going deep into enemy territory unseen. Mines are a counter to the earlier stealth hulls. And bioadaptive and sentient are a counter to mines.
Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Look, ma... four combat bouts!

Ophiuchus
Programmer

#5 Post by Ophiuchus »

Oberlus wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:00 am It's a documentation bug, IMO: their hull regeneration happens every turn regardless of combat.

Edit: so it should be something like

Code: Select all

This living hull regenerates [[metertype METER_STRUCTURE]] quickly, gaining its current structure every turn (even when involved in a fight or blockade), meaning if it is at half strength or greater it will be fully repaired in one turn.
Oberlus is right, the effect is not gated since at least four years (probably longer). Think the suggested description should work.
Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Look, ma... four combat bouts!

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#6 Post by Oberlus »

I've open a PR with the documentation fix.

Magnate
Space Dragon

#7 Post by Magnate »

Ophiuchus wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:41 am
Magnate wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 6:50 am Presumably the intention was not to make them immune to mines, hence the Pedia wording.
The wording is about blockade and fight as far as i can see - mine tech effects are none of this in technical terms (blockade restricts the way your ships can fly). So the actual problem is that the description is too technical.

The recovery effect from mines for that hull is important with the current stealth system - for going deep into enemy territory unseen. Mines are a counter to the earlier stealth hulls. And bioadaptive and sentient are a counter to mines.
Ah, good to know - thanks. I have some thoughts on late game play which I'll try to write up when RL eases off a bit. 11th was the first game that's really got to the endgame techs, and it was a bit of a stalemate.