Latest Feedback

Describe your experience with the latest version of FreeOrion to help us improve it.

Moderator: Oberlus

Forum rules
Always mention the exact version of FreeOrion you are testing.

When reporting an issue regarding the AI, if possible provide the relevant AI log file and a save game file that demonstrates the issue.
Ophiuchus
Programmer

Re: Latest Feedback

#16 Post by Ophiuchus »

IamZeke wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 4:53 am
Ophiuchus wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 12:42 pm In my opinion there are far too few empty systems, i hope we will add about an extra empty hop in the next fuel/speed/distance revamp.
Because you want the game to play the way you want it to for every player instead of letting every player chose how they like to play the game.

Map structure is very coarse at the moment and interacts with minimal fuel requirements/hull designs and even more important supply reach. This becomes less a problem the larger the empires are because loosing one or some planets does not matter much. I would like the possibility to halve the supply growth. Compared to now keeping balance while doubling hops would mean double fuel, double speed, double supply generation. Having more hops while keeping the number of resourceful systems the same leads to more space to maneuver and the possibility of more strategic differentiation of position. Some other approaches could be: fractional supply growth, doomstack nerfing...

Fractional supply growth is most KISS but bad UI/I think hard to communicate. For doomstack nerfing there were no really good ideas :(

For guaranteed good starts, simply mod the galaxy generation or your starting species (e.g. add a planet in your home system) or give yourself a superpower.
Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Look, ma... four combat bouts!

Dragget
Space Floater

Re: Latest Feedback

#17 Post by Dragget »

What I usually do on starts is enable "Super-Tester takeover" then save the game at turn 1 and build that. It reveals the whole galaxy, so I can look over what I'm facing and decide whether it's worth giving it a shot. If not, I just exit to the main menu and reroll, but if it looks interesting, I load my turn 1 save and play normally. One thing I will mention here though: most of the game preferences reset to default values, so every game I have to go adjust almost all the paramaters. It seems to me that a better way to handle this would be to preserve changes we make to these settings and just add a "revert to defaults" button to the interface.