Exobots

Describe your experience with the latest version of FreeOrion to help us improve it.

Moderator: Oberlus

Forum rules
Always mention the exact version of FreeOrion you are testing.

When reporting an issue regarding the AI, if possible provide the relevant AI log file and a save game file that demonstrates the issue.
Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

Re: Exobots

#16 Post by Oberlus »

Ophiuchus wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:20 am
drkosy wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:01 pm At least I would like to see some other way to recycle Exobots than to destroy them in concentraition camps :cry: It's just be flavoring but I don't like these things...
Perhaps it should be possible to upgrade Exobots in midgame one level and in endgame another level. That should cost a lot of RP to make it hard to rush it. :?:
Same for me. Never use concentration camps. We could provide some other option besides concentration camps and evacuation - as exobots are artificial and not as complex as "full" species dissassembling those "into the matrix" could be an option. Game-wise you would not have to research concentration camps for that but get it either directly or e.g. when you research the sentient AI tech
Exobots could be used to terraform a planet and self-destroy?

drkosy
Space Dragon

#17 Post by drkosy »

as exobots are artificial and not as complex as "full" species dissassembling those "into the matrix" could be an option. Game-wise you would not have to research concentration camps for that but get it either directly or e.g. when you research the sentient AI tech
Exobots could be used to terraform a planet and self-destroy?
That are both interesting options. Maybe they could be combined. You need an fully populated Exobot colony on asteroid belt to turn it into an artificial planet. The Exobots would work as "clue" to bring the parts together :o
By that solution artificial planets on asteroids must be a lot better than now...
Want some fresh experience? Try Kosymod

defaultuser
Juggernaut

#18 Post by defaultuser »

Ophiuchus wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:20 am Same for me. Never use concentration camps.
Is that a moral choice, or something in-game? Two species already have CC from the get-go, after all. If you end up building a lot of Exobot colonies, then researching CC makes sense. Especially dealing with captured systems, when the Industry and Research is all set back anyway.
We could provide some other option besides concentration camps and evacuation - as exobots are artificial and not as complex as "full" species dissassembling those "into the matrix" could be an option. Game-wise you would not have to research concentration camps for that but get it either directly or e.g. when you research the sentient AI tech
It would need to be really different to not just be one of the two existing by another name.

labgnome
Juggernaut

#19 Post by labgnome »

defaultuser wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 8:57 pmIt would need to be really different to not just be one of the two existing by another name.
Normally I might agree with you, but given the both strong and reasonable objection to personally using CCs in the game, I think it obligates us to give players an alternative to them, even if just in name.

Maybe an "Exobot Recycler" to disassemble them once the majority of them can be replaced by colonizing natives.
All of my contributions should be considered released under creative commons attribution share-alike license, CC-BY-SA 3.0 for use in, by and with the Free Orion project.

defaultuser
Juggernaut

#20 Post by defaultuser »

I guess a possibility would be to recycle the Exobots and use a conversion formula to PP, then put that into Imperial Stockpile. It should be significantly less efficient that CC.

UrshMost
Space Kraken

#21 Post by UrshMost »

drkosy wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:01 pm At least I would like to see some other way to recycle Exobots than to destroy them in concentraition camps :cry: It's just be flavoring but I don't like these things...
Is that not what 'Evacuation System' is?

Also, on converting an asteroid belt to a small planet instead of a tiny one, if you look at the asteroid belt in our actual solar system, its total mass is estimated to be about 4% of that of our moon. Not a lot there to form a planet with. I think of the option of converting an asteroid belt into a planet as something that only makes sense if you really need a planet in that system, e.g. you want build solar hulls there because it's your only black hole system and currently it only has the asteroid belt or something like that. The fact that it isn't practical a lot of the time is fine for me. This is just my two cents as a player.
Windows 10 64bit, AMD 8 Core, 16 GB
Nvidia GTX 670 @ 3240x1920
FreeOrion Build: Latest Windows Test Build

drkosy
Space Dragon

#22 Post by drkosy »

Is that not what 'Evacuation System' is?
Not really. I don't like CC and I don't like shooting species into the void. If you don't have other colonies that's exactly what you do with them...
Asteroid belts are very different. The Kuiper belt in principle is an asteroid belt as well, just with another name. To convert that one will give more than a tiny planet...
That complex varieties can't be displayed by the game. Therefore one have to choose how to manage it. In MOO2 all asteroid belts became large planets. I think that is a bit to much. Therefore I like the idea to get small planets out of them.
On the other hand, even will all that nerves to exobots, due to belts are size 3 they get a reel pop boost by subterran and orbital habitats as well as for specials (monopol magnets etc.). I just checked that midgame and even Tae Ghirus on a tiny planet have less production that exobots on belts (didn't think that due to missing research :oops: ). I guessed production related species on a tiny planet could give more PP. Therefore even with all this nervs, it's always worth building exobot colonies on belts. :idea:
Now you are right with evacutation systems. You could just colonize belts and deplete you exobot-planets evacuate them to the belts. That would be a nice solution :)

But it's always a matter of how things change in future. A lot of bonus production are related to pop. That was cut down in V 0.4.10 compared to 0.4.9. If it goes further down, it could become less worth colonizing belts...
Want some fresh experience? Try Kosymod

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#23 Post by Oberlus »

drkosy wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 5:04 pm Asteroid belts are very different. The Kuiper belt in principle is an asteroid belt as well, just with another name. To convert that one will give more than a tiny planet...
At an estimated mass under 2% of the mass of the Earth, I don't think you could get even a tiny planet from that, unless a tiny planet is not what I imagine.

If belts being size 3 (for Exobots or anything else capable of living there) is a problem to balance with realism expectations and the interest to make artificial planet out of belts, we could change default size of belts to 2.
But I understand belts get more pop than the corresponding artificial tiny planet because it has much more surface (being shatered). The problem is being able to live in such an environment (no gravity, no atmosphere).