Starlane bore to Experimentor Outpost disappears

Describe your experience with the latest version of FreeOrion to help us improve it.

Moderator: Oberlus

Forum rules
Always mention the exact version of FreeOrion you are testing.

When reporting an issue regarding the AI, if possible provide the relevant AI log file and a save game file that demonstrates the issue.
Ornamental
Space Krill

Starlane bore to Experimentor Outpost disappears

#1 Post by Ornamental »

Okay so after talking in this thread viewtopic.php?f=28&t=11706 I downloaded version 4.10. Played one game to see if I could actually find the experimentor outpost and establish a connection using the Starlane Bore before their activation turn (250?).

Eventually I found their system, in this case is called Soma. It has no planets visible, just the star, and because I didn't research much scanners I can't see the enemies yet. But it's the only disconnected system so it must be them.
Long story short, I managed to establish a bore connection with the system, but it disappeared right after one turn. I'm not sure if this is a bug or if it's the way it's supposed to be. From the discussion on that other thread, I understood it would be perfectly possible to establish a connection and send ships. This... didn't happen.
Attached you can see the SitRep for turn 225, where the bore connection was completed (Mun a - Soma). It became visible during turn 226 but as you can see, by turn 227, it's gone as if never made.
If it's not a bug, then perhaps it would be more fair to prevent the starlane from making the connection to the experimentor system- I'd rather have a connection to some other place than a total waste of production points. And if it's a bug... well, now you know.
Attachments
freeorion_bore_gone2020-07-12 042325.jpg
freeorion_bore_gone2020-07-12 042325.jpg (150.97 KiB) Viewed 939 times

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

Re: Starlane bore to Experimentor Outpost disappears

#2 Post by Oberlus »

It's not a bug. Experimentors outpost destroy the starlane every turn. As someone said in the other thread, you need to be ready to jump to the system when the starlane is created, ypu only have one turn.

defaultuser
Juggernaut

#3 Post by defaultuser »

That's the way it is. I should have explained a bit more. In the past, you could just queue up some bores spaced out by a turn, so new ones would be created in subsequent turns. I seem to recall some discussion about disabling that, by not allowing a bore to be started if one is in process, but I don't know that it came to anything.

Ophiuchus
Programmer

#4 Post by Ophiuchus »

We should add a sitrep about the starlane destruction if there is none yet. Somebody please file an issue
Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Look, ma... four combat bouts!

Ornamental
Space Krill

#5 Post by Ornamental »

Oberlus wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 7:05 pm It's not a bug. Experimentors outpost destroy the starlane every turn. As someone said in the other thread, you need to be ready to jump to the system when the starlane is created, ypu only have one turn.
defaultuser wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 7:09 pm That's the way it is. I should have explained a bit more. In the past, you could just queue up some bores spaced out by a turn, so new ones would be created in subsequent turns. I seem to recall some discussion about disabling that, by not allowing a bore to be started if one is in process, but I don't know that it came to anything.

I see... I misunderstood then, haha! I thought the starlane they always destroyed straight away was their own, not the player's. I figured they stayed dormant until kraken release time or until directly attacked. Sorry for the confusion and thanks again.
Ophiuchus wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 7:54 pm We should add a sitrep about the starlane destruction if there is none yet. Somebody please file an issue
I think that's a great idea!