Influence/Policies/Government feedback

Describe your experience with the latest version of FreeOrion to help us improve it.

Moderator: Oberlus

Forum rules
Always mention the exact version of FreeOrion you are testing.

When reporting an issue regarding the AI, if possible provide the relevant AI log file and a save game file that demonstrates the issue.
Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

Influence/Policies/Government feedback

#1 Post by Oberlus »

Playing v0.4.10+ 2020-06-13 ed213fb

1. I can't find a building to get the first Social Policy slot (so social policy slots are unusable for now).

2. What's the point of NoSupply and NoGrowth policies?

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

Re: Influence/Policies/Government feedback

#2 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Oberlus wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 1:32 pm1. I can't find a building to get the first Social Policy slot (so social policy slots are unusable for now).
Architectural Psychology and Transcendent Architecture each give one social policy slot.
2. What's the point of NoSupply and NoGrowth policies?
Stealthiness by keeping supply lines from revealing locations of colonies, hypothetical situations in which a player has lots of a species but wants to prevent them from growing perhaps, and for testing purposes.

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#3 Post by Oberlus »

Where could we unlock another military slot? There are many policies and a single slot right now.

Centralization loses relevance too soon. Making it capital-pop-based, or number-of-supply-connected-colonies-flat, or supply-connected-pop-based, would be good.

We need more Economic (should be "economics"?) policies.

Geoff the Medio

#4 Post by Geoff the Medio »

A few slots can be added to techs, like https://github.com/freeorion/freeorion/pull/3047

A few slots can come from specials, similar to the growth specials.

There could be a series of buildings that give some slots.

I'd also like to have native species that one hasn't invaded but which like your empire grant various bonuses, including policy slots.

Centralization can be rebalanced, but keep in mind that not all policies need to be particularly useful for long-term. The player decision can be between paying to adopt a policy now and getting the short term benefit, vs. saving influence points for something else more expensive later... (once there's other stuff to spend it on...)

Dragget
Space Floater

#5 Post by Dragget »

Geoff the Medio wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 6:23 pmArchitectural Psychology and Transcendent Architecture each give one social policy slot.
It would be nice if in the tech tree there was some indication of this on those techs. Maybe add an icon with the slot shape to that 2nd row for those techs? I also had the game crash on me when I tried to search for Influence. <<Edit: the game apparently crashes when you try to search for ANYTHING in the 'pedia>>
Geoff the Medio wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 2:33 pmThere could be a series of buildings that give some slots.
The imperial palace building generates influence. IMO there should be more buildings with this feature: maybe industrial center, enclave of the void, species interdesign academy, etc. As currently implemented, Influence strikes me mainly as one more thing for the AIs to be inept at. For the human player, it's an interesting wrinkle, but also extra management and pulling colonies off of production/science/growth to get the influence to add bonuses... which then (hopefully) offsets the penalty of being forced to sacrifice those colonies for influence.
Last edited by Dragget on Thu Aug 27, 2020 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Geoff the Medio

#6 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Dragget wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 8:40 pm...species interdesign academy
https://github.com/freeorion/freeorion/ ... xt#L88-L99

Dragget
Space Floater

#7 Post by Dragget »

Glad to see there is at least one other building that gives influence. I didn't take time to comprehensively review each building to see if any of them aside from the palace had that bonus. Another good candidate for this bonus would be the cultural library you get when conquering a high-tech species.

Geoff the Medio

#8 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Dragget wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 8:40 pm<<Edit: the game apparently crashes when you try to search for ANYTHING in the 'pedia>>
https://github.com/freeorion/freeorion/issues/3152

LienRag
Cosmic Dragon

#9 Post by LienRag »

Geoff the Medio wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 2:33 pm
I'd also like to have native species that one hasn't invaded but which like your empire grant various bonuses, including policy slots.
That's really brilliant...

LienRag
Cosmic Dragon

#10 Post by LienRag »

Dragget wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 10:45 pm Glad to see there is at least one other building that gives influence.
To avoid spamalot, any building giving influence must either have restrictions on it (like the Interspecies Design Academy) or not add influence from more than one instance of the building.

Dragget wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 10:45 pm Another good candidate for this bonus would be the cultural library you get when conquering a high-tech species.
I really like the idea.

Geoff the Medio

#11 Post by Geoff the Medio »

LienRag wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 10:41 pm
Geoff the Medio wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 2:33 pmI'd also like to have native species that one hasn't invaded but which like your empire grant various bonuses, including policy slots.
That's really brilliant...
It's basically city states from Civ V/VI.

LienRag
Cosmic Dragon

#12 Post by LienRag »

The fact that unconquered Natives grant boni is in the loop since the first discussions about diplomacy.
And I'm not that fond of this idea.

What I find brilliant is that they would give policy slots, as it's something that is very different from what one can get by conquering them. It really adds something to the game.

If that's also from Civ V/VI, well, they are brilliant and you're right to bring this idea to FreeOrion.