Ship stealth is wrong

Describe your experience with the latest version of FreeOrion to help us improve it.

Moderator: Oberlus

Forum rules
Always mention the exact version of FreeOrion you are testing.

When reporting an issue regarding the AI, if possible provide the relevant AI log file and a save game file that demonstrates the issue.
ThinkSome
Psionic Snowflake

Ship stealth is wrong

#1 Post by ThinkSome »

with-FreeOrionSDK-v11-356-ge978c5e27

There is no asteroid belt and even +20 of asteroid belt is not enough to reach 45 stealth:
stealth.png
stealth.png (605.44 KiB) Viewed 4607 times

ThinkSome
Psionic Snowflake

Re: Ship stealth is wrong

#2 Post by ThinkSome »

stealth.zip
(629.67 KiB) Downloaded 124 times

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#3 Post by Oberlus »

That stealth bonus came from the Ion Storm, maybe, if the ships were within it the previous turn.

/Edit: it's counter-intuitive/

swaq
Space Dragon

#4 Post by swaq »

Loading your save I also see those showing as 45 stealth. If I advance the turn once it goes back down to 5. Does it stay at 45 when advancing the turn for you?

ThinkSome
Psionic Snowflake

#5 Post by ThinkSome »

Oberlus wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 1:27 pm
They were in it, yes. However it is still a bug, as they are no longer in the ion storm. What is worse is that the enemy could not detect them, even though they were out of the storm.
swaq wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 1:29 pm
No, it drops down to 5.

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#6 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Is this just an off-by-one-turn issue?

During the previous turn cycle, the ships were in the storm, and got the stealth reduction, and battle proceeded accordingly.

Then the storm moved at the same time it applied stealth to the ships in it. Since the storm moving effectively happens at the same time as the stealth, the result is that on the next turn, ships have had a stealth effect applied but are located out of the storm. If the ship meter tooltips were as fully featured as planet ones, there'd probably be an "Unknown +40" entry in the list.

Regardless, that there were stealthy ships in a battle during the previous turn cycle doesn't indicate an issue, unless those ships were also out of the storm before ending that turn.

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#7 Post by Oberlus »

Geoff the Medio wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 2:07 pm Is this just an off-by-one-turn issue?

During the previous turn cycle, the ships were in the storm, and got the stealth reduction, and battle proceeded accordingly.

Then the storm moved at the same time it applied stealth to the ships in it. Since the storm moving effectively happens at the same time as the stealth, the result is that on the next turn, ships have had a stealth effect applied but are located out of the storm. If the ship meter tooltips were as fully featured as planet ones, there'd probably be an "Unknown +40" entry in the list.

Regardless, that there were stealthy ships in a battle during the previous turn cycle doesn't indicate an issue, unless those ships were also out of the storm before ending that turn.
It also happens when the ships are the ones moving away. So you can attack from a system with Ion Storn to a system out of the storm with the stealth bonus.

ThinkSome
Psionic Snowflake

#8 Post by ThinkSome »

Geoff the Medio wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 2:07 pm
I am unable to check where the storm was on the previous turn. Freeorion again forgot my settings and with it the "keep 9999 auto saves" one.

In any case, if the GUI shows the storm is not there and ships still have the stealth, then that is a bug. Players don't care about the technical reasons for this being so and neither do I. It is a bug.

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#9 Post by Oberlus »

ThinkSome wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 2:32 pmI am unable to check where the storm was on the previous turn. Freeorion again forgot my settings and with it the "keep 9999 auto saves" one.
I already told you that you have to use persistent_config.xml, or set the config on each compilation.

ThinkSome
Psionic Snowflake

#10 Post by ThinkSome »

You expect players to fiddle with config files? This isn't 1990 any more!

swaq
Space Dragon

#11 Post by swaq »

There's a button in the Options menu "Write Persistent Config File". I don't think you have to mess with the config file directly...

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#12 Post by Oberlus »

ThinkSome wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 2:53 pm You expect players to fiddle with config files? This isn't 1990 any more!
I expect you to be smart enough to use workarounds instead of getting surprised by an already known behaviour (regardless of your expectations).

ThinkSome
Psionic Snowflake

#13 Post by ThinkSome »

Oberlus wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 3:17 pm
ThinkSome wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 2:53 pm You expect players to fiddle with config files? This isn't 1990 any more!
I expect you to be smart enough to use workarounds instead of getting surprised by an already known behaviour (regardless of your expectations).
Why workarounds when it could just be fixed instead?

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#14 Post by Oberlus »

ThinkSome wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 3:29 pm Why workarounds when it could just be fixed instead?
I mean: while it's not "fixed".

In other words: why falling repeatedly in the same mistake when you know how to avoid it?

Ophiuchus
Programmer

#15 Post by Ophiuchus »

Oberlus wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 3:49 pm
ThinkSome wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 3:29 pm Why workarounds when it could just be fixed instead?
I mean: while it's not "fixed".
I do not see any issue in our issue tracker(?). If this not directly fixed and there is no issue tracker such a thing tends to be forgotten and not fixed at all.
Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Look, ma... four combat bouts!