Bug with bio weapon?

Describe your experience with the latest version of FreeOrion to help us improve it.

Moderator: Oberlus

Forum rules
Always mention the exact version of FreeOrion you are testing.

When reporting an issue regarding the AI, if possible provide the relevant AI log file and a save game file that demonstrates the issue.
Magnate
Space Dragon

Bug with bio weapon?

#1 Post by Magnate »

Hi all,

I don't have much experience of bio weapons so this could just be me not understanding something. I built a genome bank ages ago, and the pedia says "provides the empire with immunity from bioterror". This turn's report says "Matahari II has lost 0.5 population due to a Death Spores attack."

Matahari II is supply connected to the genome bank. Should this have happened? Is it perhaps a bug? Or do death spores not fall under immunity from bioterror?

Thanks

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

Re: Bug with bio weapon?

#2 Post by Oberlus »

Bioterror is a special planetary focus that enemies can set to cause loses of population on nearby planets. And the Genome Bank makes you immune to that.
All that has nothing to do with monsters attacking your population (or enemies that equip bombardment parts).

ThinkSome
Psionic Snowflake

#3 Post by ThinkSome »

I think the genome bank should be removed. Instead, such attacks should cause a new research item to appear for the attacked empire (vaccine/cure for planet X disease).

Magnate
Space Dragon

#4 Post by Magnate »

Oh wow, I never knew that. So there's no protection against ship-mounted bioweapons? Wow. Good to know! I'm surprised more people don't use them...

ThinkSome
Psionic Snowflake

#5 Post by ThinkSome »

I guess that boils down to two things:

1) Too expensive RP-wise
2) They don't work https://freeorion.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=11613

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#6 Post by Oberlus »

Magnate wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 4:31 pm Oh wow, I never knew that. So there's no protection against ship-mounted bioweapons? Wow. Good to know! I'm surprised more people don't use them...
Bioweapons are the bombardment weapons? Nope, there is no protection against that, apart from killing those ships.
More people don't use it because UI is buggy and because it is good to destroy population, while you most often want to conquer that population for yourself.

LienRag
Cosmic Dragon

#7 Post by LienRag »

Magnate wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 4:31 pm Oh wow, I never knew that. So there's no protection against ship-mounted bioweapons? Wow. Good to know! I'm surprised more people don't use them...
I just learned that also by reading this topic, so the explanation for the Genome Bank (a building that cames quite early in game and as such that is seen by beginners) is probably not clear enough.