Organic hulls take too damn long to research

Describe your experience with the latest version of FreeOrion to help us improve it.

Moderator: Oberlus

Forum rules
Always mention the exact version of FreeOrion you are testing.

When reporting an issue regarding the AI, if possible provide the relevant AI log file and a save game file that demonstrates the issue.
ThinkSome
Psionic Snowflake

Organic hulls take too damn long to research

#1 Post by ThinkSome »

Why is this so? There are two organic hulls that take 12 turns to research, and they are behind cyborgs/xenoHyb that each take 10 turns on their own.

Additionally, the incubators/growth chamber/xenocoordination facility take 8 turns to build, which is more that any other shipyard upgrade. It is even more/equal to shipyard upgrades capable of producing late-game hulls (solar/scattered/titanic).

swaq
Space Dragon

Re: Organic hulls take too damn long to research

#2 Post by swaq »

I feel it's better balanced for the standard research costs because you tend to be more limited by the cost than the number of turns making it more comparable to other hull lines.

Why is it like that? Probably to differentiate it from the other hull lines?

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#3 Post by Oberlus »

Once you are aware of that characteristics (it just needs a couple of games), you don't forget to keep those hulls up in the research queue, and problem solved.
The main limiting factor for me when comparing robo and org hull lines is the way longer time you need to start building the first org hull: you need to build the orbital incubator, while every one starts with a drydock on its HW.

Magnate
Space Dragon

#4 Post by Magnate »

The problem is not with the organic hulls but with the robotic one. I've said this before - the robotic hull is OP, and not because the homeworld starts with a drydock (although it's an easy change to make it start without one and rebalance a bit). The robotic hull is 25% faster than the large hull, 66% tougher, has 33% more external slots, and regenerates, and yet it builds in the same two turns. That's far too much of an upgrade for a second tier tech that doesn't require any new building.

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#5 Post by Oberlus »

Magnate wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 10:56 am The problem is not with the organic hulls but with the robotic one. I've said this before - the robotic hull is OP, and not because the homeworld starts with a drydock (although it's an easy change to make it start without one and rebalance a bit). The robotic hull is 25% faster than the large hull, 66% tougher, has 33% more external slots, and regenerates, and yet it builds in the same two turns. That's far too much of an upgrade for a second tier tech that doesn't require any new building.
We'll see how OP are your robos against my symbiotics :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Just stop running away.

labgnome
Juggernaut

#6 Post by labgnome »

Magnate wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 10:56 am The problem is not with the organic hulls but with the robotic one. I've said this before - the robotic hull is OP, and not because the homeworld starts with a drydock (although it's an easy change to make it start without one and rebalance a bit). The robotic hull is 25% faster than the large hull, 66% tougher, has 33% more external slots, and regenerates, and yet it builds in the same two turns. That's far too much of an upgrade for a second tier tech that doesn't require any new building.
I've said before that I think that the robotic hull should be dependent on the Nanorobotic Processing Unit, maybe with a re-name to "Robotic Processing Unit".
All of my contributions should be considered released under creative commons attribution share-alike license, CC-BY-SA 3.0 for use in, by and with the Free Orion project.

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#7 Post by Oberlus »

labgnome wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 12:46 pmthe robotic hull should be dependent on the Nanorobotic Processing Unit, maybe with a re-name to "Robotic Processing Unit".
Actually I like that...
Make Nanorobo facility unlocked by Military Robotic Production tech.
Require it for Robotic hull (as well as for Nanorobotic and Logistic Facilitator hulls).
Tune down its cost a lot (it's 250 now, make it maybe 60, 12 per turn for max construction speed).

labgnome
Juggernaut

#8 Post by labgnome »

Oberlus wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 2:29 pmActually I like that...
Make Nanorobo facility unlocked by Military Robotic Production tech.
Require it for Robotic hull (as well as for Nanorobotic and Logistic Facilitator hulls).
Tune down its cost a lot (it's 250 now, make it maybe 60, 12 per turn for max construction speed).
Sounds like a good plan.
All of my contributions should be considered released under creative commons attribution share-alike license, CC-BY-SA 3.0 for use in, by and with the Free Orion project.

Magnate
Space Dragon

#9 Post by Magnate »

Sounds good to me too.

Magnate
Space Dragon

#10 Post by Magnate »

Oberlus wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 11:50 am We'll see how OP are your robos against my symbiotics :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Just stop running away.
When I've built three chaff for every warship, then we'll see...

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#11 Post by Oberlus »

Magnate wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 6:40 pm When I've built three chaff for every warship, then we'll see...
I have 15 Arc Disruptors :twisted: