Issues with colonisation (maybe with outposting/troops too)

Describe your experience with the latest version of FreeOrion to help us improve it.

Moderator: Oberlus

Forum rules
Always mention the exact version of FreeOrion you are testing.

When reporting an issue regarding the AI, if possible provide the relevant AI log file and a save game file that demonstrates the issue.
ThinkSome
Psionic Snowflake

Issues with colonisation (maybe with outposting/troops too)

#1 Post by ThinkSome »

The game does not let you pick which vessel to do colonisation with if there are multiple in the system.

I had a colonisation ship and 3 colonisation bases in a system with 3 uncolonised planets. After colonising them, only a colonisation base remained. This base is now useless, while the ship was there only for refuelling and was meant to colonise a planet further away. :(

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

Re: Issues with colonisation (maybe with outposting/troops too)

#2 Post by Geoff the Medio »

ThinkSome wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 11:32 amThe game does not let you pick which vessel to do colonisation with if there are multiple in the system.
You should be able to click to select the ship you want to colonize with in the fleets window, before clicking the colonize button. Did you not know about that, did it not work, or is that not actually implemented for colonization but just invasion?

ThinkSome
Psionic Snowflake

#3 Post by ThinkSome »

I was colonising by clicking on the right-side planet screen, I did not touch fleets view. I don't think it was open, either.

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#4 Post by Oberlus »

ThinkSome wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 11:59 am I was colonising by clicking on the right-side planet screen, I did not touch fleets view. I don't think it was open, either.
The process would be like this:
  1. Click at the fleet icon in the system where colonization should take place. The fleet window will open or update with the available ships in the system.
  2. Select the desired ship for colonization in the Fleet window.
  3. Click the colonize button in the planet you want to colonize with the already selected ship.
The same mechanic applies for invasion.

defaultuser
Juggernaut

#5 Post by defaultuser »

Right. Often more important for invasion if you have a mix of troop ships of various sizes. I'd prefer if outposts defaulted to the first outpost base, but that would be extra work for modest gain.

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#6 Post by Oberlus »

Hey, this isn't working (any more).

Workaround for some cases: order the ships you don't want to interfere in the colonization to move to a different system, use the button for colonization/outposting and cancel the movement order.

This was wrong, I was selecting the fleet, not the ship.