Arrrrgh tooo many clicks and notifications arrrrgh

Describe your experience with the latest version of FreeOrion to help us improve it.

Moderator: Oberlus

Forum rules
Always mention the exact version of FreeOrion you are testing.

When reporting an issue regarding the AI, if possible provide the relevant AI log file and a save game file that demonstrates the issue.
ThinkSome
Psionic Snowflake

Arrrrgh tooo many clicks and notifications arrrrgh

#1 Post by ThinkSome »

git describe
with-FreeOrionSDK-v11-108-gf6c44a00d

Example: Bolton I is a poor environment planet

1) click on terraforming
2) build complete notification
3) complete notification (poor->adequate)
4) click on Bolton I in sitrep
5) click on industry button half a screen away
6) again find terraforming in the now rather lengthy menu half a screen away
7) build complete notification
8) complete notification (adequate->good)
9) click on Bolton I in sitrep
10) click on industry button half a screen away
11) find gaia transform in the now rather lengthy menu half a screen away
12) gaia complete notification
13) rejoice blabla

Must one really be spammed this much about it? Why can't I click on GAIA right away and have it schedule all the transforms and shut up about completion? I really don't care when it completes, I just want it done.

EDIT: I forgot the hostile->poor transition. So make that 17 notifications and 3 clicking fests. For most planets and in late game, when there is already a lot going on.

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

Re: Arrrrgh tooo many clicks and notifications arrrrgh

#2 Post by Oberlus »

Terraforming will, eventually, get a revamp to make it automatic (enqueue one project and get up to good environment, Gaia aside).

However, you can do some of the following to reduce number of clicks and mouse pointer trips:
  • Move the sitrep window and the Producible Items window closer to whatever you want.
  • Enqueue several terraforming projects all at once.
  • Double click on a planet to get to its producible items list (no need to click on the Industry button).
Thus reducing the number of clicks to maybe half.

The thing about getting two notifications for each terraforming or other "buildings" with effects, like colonisation (one notification for the thing completed, another for the effect taking place) is a bit cumbersome but is not easy to solve, due to some problems with how the scripting code (FOCS) and the backend communicate, IIRC.

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

Re: Arrrrgh tooo many clicks and notifications arrrrgh

#3 Post by Vezzra »

@ThinkSome: Known issue, and, as Oberlus pointed out, the plan is to address this by a major revision of the terraforming mechanics.