AI fleets skipping past my blockading fleet

Describe your experience with the latest version of FreeOrion to help us improve it.

Moderator: Oberlus

Forum rules
Always mention the exact version of FreeOrion you are testing.

When reporting an issue regarding the AI, if possible provide the relevant AI log file and a save game file that demonstrates the issue.
Dragget
Space Floater

Re: AI fleets skipping past my blockading fleet

#16 Post by Dragget »

Here is what I've come up with: I finally got another save file with a similar issue. I have a fleet consisting of two Great Krakens in the Gray system. The AI opponent showed up with a fleet of warships and some troopships. When you advance the turn, you will see that they are able to capture one of the planets in the system even though they were not able to destroy my defending fleet. This isn't EXACTLY the same as the other example, but I'm betting it's the same issue: they should not have been able to successfully invade, colonize, or place outposts in that system with a hostile fleet already there.
Attachments
War 1.7z
(2.39 MiB) Downloaded 70 times

Dragget
Space Floater

#17 Post by Dragget »

I should have noted that this is version 0.4.9 2020-03-23.7b63adf. I didn't want to edit the reply, as it might remove the uploaded save file again.

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#18 Post by Oberlus »

IIRC, invasion can be performed regardless of hostile fleets in the system, as long as the troop ships are not destroyed before.
Colonization/outposting can't happen, though, at least when there are wild monsters in the system, not sure about tamed ones or any other kind of owned armed ships.

Dragget
Space Floater

#19 Post by Dragget »

Oberlus wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 3:48 pm IIRC, invasion can be performed regardless of hostile fleets in the system.
I've never been able to do it without first destroying any defending ships. The only exception is when I have the invasion queued and hostile ships enter the system on the next turn: I guess it processes the invasion before the arrival.

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#20 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Dragget wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 4:17 pmI guess it processes the invasion before the arrival.
Yes: https://github.com/freeorion/freeorion/ ... 3270-L3313

swaq
Space Dragon

#21 Post by swaq »

Invasion should work as long as the planet shields are at 0. My guess is the previous times you did not wipe out the defending fleet you also did not damage the planet shields enough.

Dragget
Space Floater

#22 Post by Dragget »

Hmm... OK, why is invasion handled differently from colony or outpost placement then? I guess I'll have to keep experimenting to see if I can provoke the AI into bypassing one of my fleets.

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#23 Post by Oberlus »

Dragget wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 9:20 pmI guess I'll have to keep experimenting to see if I can provoke the AI into bypassing one of my fleets.
I'll find time to try it myself too. I'm thinking hidden (stealth) ships could make it easier.

defaultuser
Juggernaut

#24 Post by defaultuser »

Dragget wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 9:20 pm Hmm... OK, why is invasion handled differently from colony or outpost placement then?
It's always been that way. It's important when there native planets at a system with defending monsters. For example, with a Maintenance Ship, you can send in troop ships alone if you want to take the planet because their hull strength is > 9.

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#25 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Dragget wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 9:20 pmwhy is invasion handled differently from colony or outpost placement then?
Fluff in-universe explanation: troop ships are military, colony ships are civilians that won't land unless it's safe.

Dragget
Space Floater

#26 Post by Dragget »

Geoff the Medio wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 9:22 amcolony ships are civilians that won't land unless it's safe.
Then I should be able to land my stealthy colony/outpost ships that the enemy can't detect, right? But no... that's not how it works. :wink:
On another note, I set up a situation in my current game to test this issue, and it seems that it has to be limited to Juggernaut units: I placed a Great Kraken squarely in the path of AI ships rushing back to protect their homeworld, and they are interdicted. It would take me a near-eternity to get a Juggernaut over there, but hopefully that gives you enough details to look at it. Snowflakes and Krakens appear much more frequently in my games, so I think I would have noticed this issue much sooner if it were either of those types.

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#27 Post by Oberlus »

Dragget wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 3:02 am
Geoff the Medio wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 9:22 amcolony ships are civilians that won't land unless it's safe.
Then I should be able to land my stealthy colony/outpost ships that the enemy can't detect, right? But no... that's not how it works. :wink:
Entering the planetary atmosphere/orbit makes you detectable.

Ophiuchus
Programmer

#28 Post by Ophiuchus »

Dragget wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 3:02 am
I would prefer colonisation/outposting working with stealthy ships. Currently this breaks peaceful distributed expansion.
Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Look, ma... four combat bouts!

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#29 Post by Oberlus »

A recent commit by Geoff might have solved the problem with fleets skipping past a blockade.
Al least, the particular one caused by the blockading fleet being sent somewhere and then cancelling the order.
If that was the cause for the monster's thingy, then we are good.