New version changes

Describe your experience with the latest version of FreeOrion to help us improve it.

Moderator: Oberlus

Forum rules
Always mention the exact version of FreeOrion you are testing.

When reporting an issue regarding the AI, if possible provide the relevant AI log file and a save game file that demonstrates the issue.
Magnate
Space Dragon

New version changes

#1 Post by Magnate »

Hi all,

I just fired up 47bd1a0 and noticed a few things:

1. I seem to be able to land only three troop ships at a time - is this an intentional change? So big planetary conquests take many turns

2. Comsats now have three internal slots - yay for troops drops!

3. My ships can see stealthy races before I research the relevant detection tech, but my troop ships can't land there (even with no defences present). I think this has always been the case but it's just struck me as silly: if I can't detect them to land troops, my other ships shouldn't see them either and they should not appear on my map. Perhaps just a fuzz for "inhabited", though I'd be dastardly and leave that until the outpost ship tried to land...

Ophiuchus
Programmer

Re: New version changes

#2 Post by Ophiuchus »

First one sounds wrong.
Magnate wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 2:26 am 2. Comsats now have three internal slots - yay for troops drops!
Welcome :) Comsats also doubled the price. Meh for chaff.
3. My ships can see stealthy races before I research the relevant detection tech, but my troop ships can't land there (even with no defences present). I think this has always been the case but it's just struck me as silly: if I can't detect them to land troops, my other ships shouldn't see them either and they should not appear on my map. Perhaps just a fuzz for "inhabited", though I'd be dastardly and leave that until the outpost ship tried to land...
Do you see really see the stealthy planets or did you get one-time-intel from scouts finding old maps?
Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Look, ma... four combat bouts!

Magnate
Space Dragon

#3 Post by Magnate »

Ophiuchus wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 7:16 amFirst one sounds wrong.
Oh, not a new feature then? Seems pretty consistent - when I order an invasion, the first three ships land, and the rest the following turn. (Haven't tried invasions with >6 ships yet.) Does seem a bit buggy, because on the 2nd turn the remaining ships are marked as landing, but the planet shows no Cancel Invasion button. They land ok though.
Do you see really see the stealthy planets or did you get one-time-intel from scouts finding old maps?
Well this is what's so illogical. If a scout can see evidence of a colony, how can troop ships not know where to land?

This isn't about any recent change. I have simply only now realised that the whole mechanic of stealthy colonies is flawed. You shouldn't know they're there at all, unless they shoot you. Obviously you can infer their presence from a comsat, but you shouldn't get info on species, pop, research, industry or anything else until you can detect it.

But if we go that route, wtf is a stealthy shipyard? Do you get a blank "there is a colony here somewhere" when a shipyard is scouted?

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#4 Post by Oberlus »

Magnate wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 10:49 amOh, not a new feature then? Seems pretty consistent - when I order an invasion, the first three ships land, and the rest the following turn. (Haven't tried invasions with >6 ships yet.) Does seem a bit buggy, because on the 2nd turn the remaining ships are marked as landing, but the planet shows no Cancel Invasion button. They land ok though.
There is no checking for number of ships or troops on HandleInvasion(), nor it is mentioned such a change in the commits. It's not a buggy new feature, it's maybe a new bug, it that's the case. I haven't encountered this.

Save game to replicate the issue is necessary.

defaultuser
Juggernaut

#5 Post by defaultuser »

I have not seen any problems with invasion. Perhaps a few screen caps would clarify the situation. Similarly for your stealth issue. Again, I haven't noted any change there.

Ophiuchus
Programmer

#6 Post by Ophiuchus »

Magnate wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 10:49 am
Ophiuchus wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 7:16 amDo you see really see the stealthy planets or did you get one-time-intel from scouts finding old maps?
Well this is what's so illogical. If a scout can see evidence of a colony, how can troop ships not know where to land?
Yes, stealthy colonies, stealthy buildings have issues. But if what you describe is what i think it is it is quite logical to our standards.

You scouts did not find the planet/colony, they found a ship which had that colony data inside. "of course" the strategical parts of the colony was moved since then
Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Look, ma... four combat bouts!

defaultuser
Juggernaut

#7 Post by defaultuser »

Landalar wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:35 pm I like everything, play and can not stop!
What do you need for ships?
I think you will need to expand on that question.

Dragget
Space Floater

Invasion bug

#8 Post by Dragget »

I'm having a similar issue with invasions... they mostly take 2 turns to complete, with some ships dropping on the 1st turn, and the rest completing it (usually a small remainder) on the 2nd turn. My normal strategy is to queue departure of my battle fleet and my invasion on the same turn. With this new bug or whatever, I have several times had to reload a save and redo the turn because the invasion did not complete on the first round and there is then no battle fleet present on round 2 to suppress the planetary defenses.
Here is a DropBox link to a recent save file since the file attachment feature says the save file is too large.
<<Edit: version is 0.4.9 2020-03-02.89280c7>>

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

Re: Invasion bug

#9 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Dragget wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:07 pmHere is a DropBox link to a recent save file...
Where in the game universe is the issue occurring?

I loaded the save, hit turn, and the invasion of Rhilus α I was successful.

defaultuser
Juggernaut

#10 Post by defaultuser »

I haven't seen any problems other than the reported bug of combat not occurring with unimproved defenses. But that should only affect people like me who use second-in invasion fleets.

Dragget
Space Floater

#11 Post by Dragget »

It doesn't always mess up, just most of the time. You're right, on that turn it succeeds normally. Here is one where it definitely took me 2 turns to complete the invasion.

Dragget
Space Floater

Another example save

#12 Post by Dragget »

Here is another savefile that demonstrates this issue.

defaultuser
Juggernaut

#13 Post by defaultuser »

How about a couple of screenshots?

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#14 Post by Geoff the Medio »

https://github.com/freeorion/freeorion/ ... 603befe056 hopefully fixes this. The problem was that recent optimizations to how looping over objects worked resulted in the loop over invasions deleting ships from the set that was being iterated over, which apparently resulted in a ship occasionally being skipped.

Dragget
Space Floater

#15 Post by Dragget »

Geoff the Medio wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 6:35 pm https://github.com/freeorion/freeorion/ ... 603befe056 hopefully fixes this.
Can confirm that as of 0.4.9 2020-03-23.7b63adf I'm no longer seeing these partial invasions. Seems fixed.